Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 PM

12 posts, read 299,756 times

Advertisements

I’m moving to NC in three weeks and I’m wondering if I should buy a new car here (FL) or there! I have a 1999 Honda CRV and I don’t think it’s going to last much longer so I need a new car soon. I’m just confused about the vehicle tax in NC. Is it 3% of the value of your car just when you move (a one time fee) or is it 3% every year? Also, if I move to NC with my CRV will I have to pay 3% on that car and then when I buy a new car in NC (lets say a few months later) have to pay another 3% on my new car? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
All transactions involving a vehicle titled out of state 90 days prior to registering in North Carolina will be taxed on vehicle value, with a maximum of $150.00 being assessed.

If owned less than 90 days before applying for North Carolina Title, tax credit against the highway use tax due will be allowed for the amount of tax paid to the other state upon submission of proof of payment. If the vehicle was titled in North Carolina after 90 days of purchase from a dealer, no credit would be allowed. Full highway use tax would be due on the purchase price, less any trade-in credit.

The Highway Use Tax (HUT) is a one-time state tax, when registering a vehicle in NC.

Property Tax is a annual local tax, which includes homes, land, motor vehicles (tagged & untagged), watercraft, boat motors, aircraft and other items. The tax rate varies greatly depending on the location of residence.

NC DMV Newcomers Guide

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/download/newcomers.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 03-25-2008 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 PM

474 posts, read 2,193,180 times
Here is the website for the NC Motor Vehicle Division Registration and Highway Use Tax information:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...ighwayUse.html

Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
If owned less than 90 days before applying for North Carolina Title, tax credit against the highway use tax due will be allowed for the amount of tax paid to the other state upon submission of proof of payment. If the vehicle was titled in North Carolina after 90 days of purchase from a dealer, no credit would be allowed. Full highway use tax would be due on the purchase price, less any trade-in credit.
mm34b is right on with the advice. One additional note: if you are 100% certain you will title the car within NC, in the 30 days after purchasing, let the dealership know. I was in a similar situation a few years back, and ended up paying the 3% N.C. HUT at the time of purchasing a new car in Fla., instead of paying the 7% Florida sales tax.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the replies! Bull City Rising - great, I can just go ahead and buy it now! Thanks for the info!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:20 AM

Do I need a NC driver's license before I title the car there?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,916,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoNC View Post
I would check with the NC DMV on that. I already had my NC license when I bought the car. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoNC View Post
There's conflicting information from the DMV on that issue.

On the NC DMV web site, it states "To apply for your vehicle title and registration you will need to obtain your North Carolina Driver's License", which makes no sense to me. Ownership and operation of a motor vehicle are two different things.

Owners and operators are not always the same individual. Over the years, I've know many individuals who purchased motor vehicles for use by their child or grandchild although they themselves do not drive or have ever operated a motor vehicle. The vehicles were titled to the buyer (the non-driver), not the child or grandchild.

I also noticed on the DMV web site, that a driver's license is not one of the items on their requested vehicle registration documentation list. The last time (2004) I registered a vehicle in NC, I was not asked to produce a driver's license issued by NC or any other U.S. state, although I had an out-of-state driver's license at the time.

Another conflicting statement on the DMV web site, is the matter of time limits for obtaining a NC driver's license and motor vehicle registration. According to the DMV's Newcomers Guide, the time limit for obtaining a NC driver's license is 60 days, while vehicle registration must generally take place within 30 days. So, if a newcomer to the state is required to produce a NC driver's license at time of vehicle registration, wouldn't they only have 30 days or less to obtain a driver's license as they originally stated in the beginning???

Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
After moving to NC we registered our car before getting drivers license. They did not even ask/comment about having a drivers license.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 98,763 times
Unfortunately, the NC Div. of Motor Vehicles now has this on their website:

"Beginning September 15, 2007, you must present a valid North Carolina Driver's License or a North Carolina Identification Card to register a vehicle in North Carolina -N.C. General Statute 20-52 (a) Valid driver's licenses from other states may be accepted for vehicle registrations with documentation of the following:
  • Military active duty stationed in N.C.;
  • College enrollment in an N.C. school;
  • Vehicle garaged in N.C. for a minimum of 6 months;
  • Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;
  • Vehicle is co-owned;
  • Registration for a motor home; or
  • Documented medical condition"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina