Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,420 times

Advertisements

Moving to Jacksonville NC and wondered about a certain area. I am looking at a place on Huff Road and was just wondering about the neighborhood and if its safe. Im looking for an area that will benefit my mother in law with things to do especially walking around. Where my daughter who will also be attending the community college near by and my son in highschool to do.

Any info would be greatful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 06:29 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyAD View Post
Moving to Jacksonville NC and wondered about a certain area. I am looking at a place on Huff Road and was just wondering about the neighborhood and if its safe. Im looking for an area that will benefit my mother in law with things to do especially walking around. Where my daughter who will also be attending the community college near by and my son in highschool to do.
There is a Huff Drive, which is near all the medical offices. It extends into a residential area which is perfectly safe. You MIL might walk around, but there may not be sidewalks in parts of it. The mall is also a nice place to walk in, especially the Barnes and Noble Books store which has a coffee shop.

It is a very convenient neighborhood for the community college student.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 AM

I also don't want to be "That" family that lives in a predominately african american neighborhood and sending my kid to the "white" school. We have those types of situations around here and really don't want that down there. Its starting to get divided up here and hoping that its not happening down there especially where we are looking.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I also don't want to be "That" family that lives in a predominately african american neighborhood and sending my kid to the "white" school. We have those types of situations around here and really don't want that down there. Its starting to get divided up here and hoping that its not happening down there especially where we are looking.
Perhaps you should visit in person to check that the neighbors meet your approval.

In lieu of a personal visit, you should check the streetviews on Google maps. Huff Drive and Huff Court are very nice, new, middle-class neighborhoods. I have visited people in theit homes in the general area.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:46 AM

I'm not worried about the neighbors meeting my approval I dont want to have the division in the people like many neighborhoods are getting like up here. I did notice that its a new neighborhood because google won't show to much in the neighborhood. thank you for all the information.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I dont want to have the division in the people like many neighborhoods are getting like up here.
Since I don't know where you are from, I can't compare the experience. I have never heard of ethnic tensions in the Jacksonville high schools, but then, I don't have kids.

I do know that Greatschools.org will show you the ethnic breakdown of students if you look under the students tab. Jacksonville High and White Oak High have a slim majority of white students, Northside High has a slight majority of African-American students. Huff Drive appears to be split between Northside and Jacksonville High, depending on the exact address. I am sure you could get the high school assignment from the Onslow County School sysytem.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Thank you You have been helpful

Old 09-18-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you You have been helpful
A further note: all of the high schools are rated in the average range by Greatschools.org . Northside is slightly higher at 6 out of 10, and the the others are 5 out of 10. So, none of the schools are "bad". I would be willing to send a kid to Northside, since it has some challenging academic programs in STEM. It also offers dual enrollment with the Community College for student who can handle it.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-18-2016 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina