Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Neither city has business being in top ~5 most posted on CD, but they are. Neither are dominant cities in terms of the US, especially Raleigh.

Its just how CD works.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:29 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Nothing "dubious" about it. Charlotte and Raleigh are not Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Philadelphia, DC, San Francisco, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, etc, yet they both blow them out the water in terms of post count.

Its obvious post count is not tied with population, NC just for some reason has a higher than normal presence of posters/interest.

Its not just CLT and RDU, the entire NC forum is curiously popular. Maybe Google results show up more frequently on NC computers. Who knows.

Its nothing to slight CLT or RDU. Theyre obviously not top 5 in terms of US influence, but are top 5 in terms of this websites interest. Thats how it is.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Nothing "dubious" about it. Charlotte and Raleigh are not Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Philadelphia, DC, San Francisco, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, etc, yet they both blow them out the water in terms of post count.

Its obvious post count is not tied with population, NC just for some reason has a higher than normal presence of posters/interest.

Its not just CLT and RDU, the entire NC forum is curiously popular. Maybe Google results show up more frequently on NC computers. Who knows.

Its nothing to slight CLT or RDU. Theyre obviously not top 5 in terms of US influence, but are top 5 in terms of this websites interest. Thats how it is.
The dubious part is that you thought internet forum participation was directly tied to population or how fun a city is to visit.

This area has heavy migration to it and these local forums are good for gathering information. That's all.

If Chattanooga becomes the top relocation destination tomorrow, that forum will become far more active.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The dubious part is that you thought internet forum participation was directly tied to population or how fun a city is to visit.
Try reading the entire thread, because I didn't say that at all. I said the opposite and have no idea where you got that from:

Quote:
North Carolina is the 9th largest state, but ranks 2nd in post count. Los Angeles County has as many people as the state of NC, but the Raleigh thread alone has 2x as much traffic.

I don't think theres a single reason for it, CD just gains more interest in NC than CA, FL, NY, NJ etc. Could be topic interest, just where users are located, popular moving spots, how Google searches appear in every state, etc.
Obviously Raleigh is not a region of 10+ million people, and North Carolina is obviously not Texas, so how exactly was I saying population = post count? And where did I even mention the word "fun?"

Old 10-12-2016, 08:25 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Let's keep it between Raleigh and Charlotte though. Charlotte has no business being below the Triangle. It's the dominate city right?

My god do you actually read the stuff that you post? I just cringe every time i see one of your posts. Fourm traffic has nothing to with population/city size. Maybe since Charlotte is growing faster then Raleigh most poeple want to actually explore Charlotte and see what all it offers, not post on a forum to see where the next best pup/club is at.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Try reading the entire thread, because I didn't say that at all. I said the opposite and have no idea where you got that from:

Obviously Raleigh is not a region of 10+ million people, and North Carolina is obviously not Texas, so how exactly was I saying population = post count? And where did I even mention the word "fun?"
You threw a bunch of large cities out in your example of places which would imply that those should have more posts, that's all.

I dunno, but maybe it's the overall tone of this thread in general. Who cares which forum has the most activity? Is it tied to anything except people wanting to know more about a given topic in a given area?

I think not.

That's all I was saying.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You threw a bunch of large cities out in your example of places which would imply that those should have more posts, that's all.

I dunno, but maybe it's the overall tone of this thread in general. Who cares which forum has the most activity? Is it tied to anything except people wanting to know more about a given topic in a given area?

I think not.

That's all I was saying.
Yes, because you would expect a region like Los Angeles with its population, tourism, GDP, domestic and international influence, politics, and growth, etc to have more interest than Raleigh (a city smaller than some LA suburbs)...but it doesn't. Same with the other cities.

Charlotte having less posts than Raleigh is moot when Raleigh has more posts than LA. NC is just a city data hot spot. That's just how City Data is is the point I was trying to make. Like you said, who cares who has more posts? There's many factors at play, and post count doesn't determine what "class" of city you are. That was my point.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:11 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
NC has a disproportionate internet presence on a lot of sites for some odd reason.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:08 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I think the word that you're struggling to use is domina-nt. dominant.

Why are NC State fan forums > UNC-CH? The fans are more able (tech jobs where you're online all day long) and willing to post. Why is any online forum greater than another? A larger and more engaged AUDIENCE.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:36 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Raleigh has similar vids out there. It's just as much a "real city" as Charlotte. It's rapid growth, despite Charlotte supposedly being the dominate area, attests to that fact, does it not?
There's growth and there's evolution. For years Charlotte has grown. Today however, it's rapidly evolving. The light rail transformation that's taking place on North Tryon is one prime example.

What's happening in Charlotte now is similar to what DC and Atl saw in the 1970s and 1980s. Ironically, Atl hosted the 1988 DNC convention (Charlotte hosted the 2012 DNC). So far, the Feds have invested nearly 1 billion dollars into Charlotte's mass transit. They also hired Charlotte's mayor to be the US Transportation Secretary. There are clear and obvious signs that Charlotte's suburban development pattern is under attack (especially in neighborhoods close to uptown and transit lines). The conservative values of Charlotte are also under attack.

This is different than just rapid growth. You can really feel that this city is growing AND changing. If you have never been to celebrations such as Pride Charlotte, you should go. It's an actual "normal" city festival now. People go there with their children and think nothing of it. This is what I mean when I say evolution into a real city. There is certainly a major shift going on right now in Charlotte, and it isn't just some new skyscraper (those are still being built too by the way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina