Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 10:29 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The Justice Department will be dispatching election monitors to four North Carolina counties.
Interesting that election monitors are needed to ensure there is no coercion and votes aren't tampered with, but ID isn't required to ensure fraudulent votes aren't cast. If, hypothetically, I cared enough to attempt the former, why not the latter? Especially since it is much more difficult to identify or prove fraud...

Old 11-04-2016, 12:43 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Interesting that election monitors are needed to ensure there is no coercion and votes aren't tampered with, but ID isn't required to ensure fraudulent votes aren't cast. If, hypothetically, I cared enough to attempt the former, why not the latter? Especially since it is much more difficult to identify or prove fraud...
"The United States Department of Justice escalated its efforts to protect voting rights in North Carolina on Wednesday, informing four North Carolina counties—including Cumberland County—that it will send election monitors to observe the polls on Election Day.

Cumberland is at the epicenter of a voting rights crisis that has resulted in the purge of nearly 6,700 voters from the roll, most of them minorities. In Cumberland alone, about 5,600 people had their voting rights nullified over the past two years.

In July, a federal appeals court held that the Legislature had targeted black voters “with almost surgical precision” by passing an omnibus bill that made it more difficult to vote throughout the state. The court blocked the law from taking effect—but Republican-controlled county election boards have continued to implement its most stringent measures. "

Funny I don't see any mention of voter fraud, just voter suppression. UFO sightings are more common than voter fraud and so is getting struck by lightning.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Funny I don't see any mention of voter fraud, just voter suppression. UFO sightings are more common than voter fraud and so is getting struck by lightning.
I imagine you don't use someone's info to vote unless you're fairly certain they won't notice and report it. For example, inmates, the senile or people that are otherwise highly unlikely to vote. Just because a crime isn't reported doesn't mean it's not happening

How many of those "purged" from the registration records actually found out when they showed up and weren't allowed to vote? My guess is none, because people showing up at the polls and not being able to vote is also rarer than UFO sightings and getting struck by lightning

Old 11-04-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I imagine you don't use someone's info to vote unless you're fairly certain they won't notice and report it. For example, inmates, the senile or people that are otherwise highly unlikely to vote. Just because a crime isn't reported doesn't mean it's not happening

How many of those "purged" from the registration records actually found out when they showed up and weren't allowed to vote? My guess is none, because people showing up at the polls and not being able to vote is also rarer than UFO sightings and getting struck by lightning
Your guess? I know it to be a fact that the judge has more factual information than you do.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Your guess? I know it to be a fact that the judge has more factual information than you do.
Then enlighten us please. My understanding is that no one has been turned away. What are these "facts" you know?

Old 11-04-2016, 04:43 PM

I am not the judge. Argue with her. She is the one that made those statements regarding voter suppression, plus she has issued a ruling.

"WASHINGTON ― County election boards in North Carolina must restore the registrations of voters removed from the polls, U.S. District Judge Loretta Biggs ordered on Friday."

Old 11-04-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I am not the judge. Argue with her. She is the one that made those statements regarding voter suppression, plus she has issued a ruling.

"WASHINGTON ― County election boards in North Carolina must restore the registrations of voters removed from the polls, U.S. District Judge Loretta Biggs ordered on Friday."
Unfortunately, judges can be as partisan and irrational as anyone else. They just have to try harder to hide it

Old 11-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, judges can be as partisan and irrational as anyone else. They just have to try harder to hide it
NC has now been judged guilty twice of a campaign to disenfranchise selected voters.

https://youtu.be/fRHw01sJVek

Old 11-04-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
NC has now been judged guilty twice of a campaign to disenfranchise selected voters.

https://youtu.be/fRHw01sJVek
I'm sure it won't be the last time. As long as one party has a monopoly on so-called "protected classes," they'll always be able to claim discrimination when the other seeks an advantage

Old 11-04-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it won't be the last time. As long as one party has a monopoly on so-called "protected classes," they'll always be able to claim discrimination when the other seeks an advantage
One party has a monopoly in NC, yet thanks to the judicial branch their attempt to suppress the votes of minorities has been shut down.

NC's voter ID law:https://goo.gl/VVpoYF

"A federal appeals court decisively struck down North Carolina’s voter identification law on Friday, saying its provisions deliberately “target African-Americans with almost surgical precision” in an effort to depress black turnout at the polls."

NC attempt at voter purge:

"A Federal judge ordered three North Carolina counties to restore thousands of voter registrations canceled too close to Election Day after the NAACP sued over the removals.

U.S. District Judge Loretta Biggs issued the preliminary injunction Friday after an emergency hearing earlier in the week on NAACP allegations that those counties — and possibly others — purged voter rolls through a process disproportionately targeting blacks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina