Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 PM

25 posts, read 26,684 times

Advertisements

Good evening all. My family is considering a move to North Carolina. I'm a nurse and my husband is in the finance industry usually in higher education but is open to a change. We have 2 girls 10 and 4 so an area with good education is important to us. We are active, love the outdoors and hiking. We would like an area where the people are friendly and there is easy access to shops and entertainment. We are thinking Summer 2017 for the move, coming from Mesa AZ. North Carolina has our attention for the four seasons. What area would you all recommend we look? What does this born and raised phoenician need to know about life on the east coast and in north carolina? Thank you for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 06:28 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Well, I guess you would need to know we have mildew. and mold, and humidity, and leaf mold, and more mildew.

Moisture aside, NC is a great place to live. You really can't go wrong. Try the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill forum. We have lots of info there for potential newcomers, right at the top of the board.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:46 PM

Is the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area good for a family new to NC?
Is the humidity that bad? Or just a way of life there like our ridiculous heat?

Old 11-14-2016, 05:02 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCollins View Post
Is the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area good for a family new to NC?
Is the humidity that bad? Or just a way of life there like our ridiculous heat?
Yes that area is very family friendly. But unless you have experienced the humidity in July and August, you won't know whether you can tolerate it. I personally, don't go outside unless I have to in mid-summer. I certainly don't go hiking in August. The summer weather isn't as bad as Houston or New Orleans, but it is certainly humid. Some natives can tolerate it.

Another thing you will find is that housing and the overall COL is more expensive if you go to a popular area like Cary. Bestplaces give the difference as 121 for Cary versus 99.4 for Phoenix. Make sure you income could account for that.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-14-2016 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:36 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
We are retired and lived in Mesa and Chandle, AZ for 25+ years before we relocated to Raleigh in 2012. We love it here, but that's very much due to our immediate neighborhood. I'm NOT discouraging you from considering NC, but I'll give you the negative things you MUST consider. (My comments relate to the Triangle area only).

The summer humidity is bad. I tolerate it, but DH truly suffers. In AZ, we made plans never worrying about the weather. Here, with the frequent rain, we always have a Plan B and never schedule a party in our backyard unless the crowd can be moved inside.

The cost of living is considerably higher. Our home here is 2000 sq feet but simarily valued to our last home in Mesa which was 3,100 sq feet. Our RE taxes more than doubled. Groceries are higher priced. Our gas bill is higher due to winter heating for the house, but our electric bill is roughly the same since the cost per unit used is higher here. Our water bill is double, mostly because of higher per unit charges on irrigation water. Yet, I see no evidence that this area offers higher salaries to offset the higher COL. We drive much less here as it's not nearly so spread out as the Valley of the Sun, so that has saved time, money and aggrivation. Misc stuff is more expensive - restaurants, alcohol, car washes, dry cleaning, dentists. Car and homeowners insurance is about the same. No happy hours for alcohol (it's illegal and one of our biggest disappointments.)

The 3 local universities make opportunities for events and venues that simply don't exist very much in the Valley. MANY theaters offer indie movies, and college sports is huge here (pro sports is a distant second). Medical services are better, probably because we have Duke and UNC, both world class. Lots of performing arts and cultural events.

You will, I think, find that purchasing a home in the Triangle is more expensive than Mesa. And very competitive with well priced homes in good locations going above list.

Geographically, the area is beautiful and it's very nice to be so close to both mountains and the beach. The people are friendly and welcoming, and any concerns about being in the Bible Belt are nonsense. MANY residents are relocated from other states, particularly from the NE (who love that their COL has dramatically decreased.) Ethnically, the Triangle is MUCH more diverse and (in my experience) MUCH more accepting and inclusive.

From what I hear and read, the school system here has serious challenges. Considering that NC spends so little on funding public education, this isn't a surprise. And it should be something you look into very carefully.

Outdoor activities are endless, though dependent on weather.

I've no idea why you've spotted NC, but I honestly would suggest you broaden your search and consider other areas. Personally, I'd start with where you can easily find jobs PRIOR to relocating. With your husband's finance profession, Charlotte might be a better fit. I'm led to believe the schools are better and housing is less expensive. But do look at other states as well.

Feel free to DM me with questions.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 11-14-2016 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
How much do you know about NC that you have chosen to move here? You need to realize it is not a homogeneous state and you can't just ask "Where is a good place"--we have mountains, coast, and everything in between. We have pretty large cities and VERY rural areas. We have bleeding-heart liberals and rock-red conservatives.

I suggest you read up a little on the state in general (go to the Wikipedia page, or any other page with factual NC info, and you'll see how different it is from one end of the state to the other) and decide what goes on your "yea or Nay" list as far as places to move--there is no answer to the question "Is ____ a good place for a family to move to?" without knowing a LOT more info.

The part about the humidity is correct, however. Knowing why you're choosing this state over others might be a little help, but more specific info all around will allow people to rule out places and give you others to consider. Some people who live in one area of the state detest the other parts, so you can't say that "NC" is like anything overall.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCollins View Post
Good evening all. My family is considering a move to North Carolina. I'm a nurse and my husband is in the finance industry usually in higher education but is open to a change. We have 2 girls 10 and 4 so an area with good education is important to us. We are active, love the outdoors and hiking. We would like an area where the people are friendly and there is easy access to shops and entertainment. We are thinking Summer 2017 for the move, coming from Mesa AZ. North Carolina has our attention for the four seasons. What area would you all recommend we look? What does this born and raised phoenician need to know about life on the east coast and in north carolina? Thank you for the information.
l

I lived in Charlotte before a job opportunity brought our family to Phoenix. We currently live in East Mesa. The first thing I'd recommend is looking in or around Charlotte for work since your husband is in finance. Çharlotte has the second largest banking center in the nation and it may provide more employment options. We were there in July and were taken back by how much the city has grown since we left. One thing that hadn't changed was how friendly people were. That is one of the things we miss about living there. As for hiking and outdoor activities you have many options, however, mountain hiking will not be as convenient there as it is in AZ.

Charlotte has sports and plenty of entertainment options to keep you busy. The restaurant scene is not bad either. Instead of endless options for mexican food, barbecue will be the dominant food option. You will get to enjoy four seasons with mild winters. The worst thing about the winters (besides the cold!) was the ice. The summers do get pretty humid, though. However, depending on where you move you will be two or three hours from the ocean as opposed to six.

Not sure how the school systems are? I suppose it all depends on where you land. Overall, NC is a beautiful state with lots to offer. Atlanta is only three hours south, Nashville a few hours west, Virginia to the North and the awesome Atlantic to the east! Take a trip and let me know what you think!

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 11-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-17-2016, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 24,329 times
I recently moved back to Mesa from New Bern NC. New Bern is about 2 hours SE of Raleigh. It is a GREAT area for families and I would recommend being in the Brinson or Ben Quinn school districts.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:18 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Zinkle,
What made you move back?

Old 11-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Thank you all for your input and I encourage others input too as I love to hear what people think. First we are looking at NC for the 4 seasons this heat is too much for us plus I've heard people in that overall area, meaning the south, are friendly and that will be a nice change. The triangle area specifically Raleigh was an area if interest however with some of the comments Charolette may start getting looked at closer. I'm finish my Bachelor's in nursing done in February which is when we will take a long weekend out there to get a feel for the state and see as much as we can in 2 to 3 days. I know probably not enough time but it's what we have. If we move it won't be until summer 2017 just gathering information right now. Thank you all for the information please keep it coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina