Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 20,867 times

Advertisements

I am moving to a new job in Burlington with my family consisting of my wife along with 6 and 4 year old children. My main priorities are good public schools and a safe neighborhood within 40 minutes from work. From what I have gathered thus far in my research it seems that Chapel Hill and Browns Summit meet those conditions. Does anyone currently live in these areas that can advise good or bad on either? Any other suggestions of where to live? Moving from the North so I am relatively unfamiliar with the area outside of a couple visits.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:40 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Chapel Hill is very nice, but pretty expensive. Have you looked at housing prices there?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 AM

873 posts, read 1,015,950 times
Good public schools and safe neighborhoods both make Chapel Hill above Browns Summit. Also better transportation and recreation options, in my opinion. Browns Summit doesn't really have much appeal to me, though I do know a friend who lives there and loves it for being so quiet an area overall.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:54 AM

I have looked at the housing prices and the dollar certainly will go further in Browns Summit.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldodrake View Post
I have looked at the housing prices and the dollar certainly will go further in Browns Summit.
The 2 places are quite different, ozmoe pointed out. Browns Summit (and thanks for including the "s" btw) is rural/suburban, and Chapel Hill is a very cosmopolitan small city that's part of the fast growing triangle area. Much higher level of amenities in Chapel Hill and the triangle, versus having to drive into Greensboro for virtually everything.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:12 AM

This is great information, thanks everyone. I expected the two areas to differ but not necessarily to this level! Does anyone know much about the Browns Summit schools? I am aware that they are rated highly on greatschools.com and such but personal experience tends to be more relatable.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:16 AM

I have no personal knowledge of them, but like you, have heard very good things about the Northern Guilford district. Just make sure you're in that district, and not the Northeast HS district.

If you haven't visited the 2 areas, I would definitely do so before making any decisions.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:30 AM

Very sound advice on visiting, thanks. I am coming from the Madison, WI area and would imagine that Chapel Hill is most similar being a college town.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Oh yes, Chapel Hill is definitely the most similar to Madison. You might also look at Hillsborough, NC. It has a lot of the appeal of Chapel Hill (just 20 min away), but is smaller and historic. Orange County Schools are pretty good, too. They have a 1 to 1 laptop policy for example. Hillsborough would put you about 15 min closer to Burlington than Chapel Hill does, although if you live up in northern Chapel Hill near Timberlyne, Weaver Dairy Rd then your commute would be reduced. Basically if you can live near I-40 you can get to Burlington pretty quickly.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldodrake View Post
Very sound advice on visiting, thanks. I am coming from the Madison, WI area and would imagine that Chapel Hill is most similar being a college town.
I think your kids would MUCH more enjoy growing up in CH than BS. Note that NC's schools are generally county-based, so the whole county is one system. One glaring exception is Orange county, which contains Chapel Hill. While the Orange county schools are good, Chapel Hill/Carrboro si generally considered the best system in the state, but you have to make sure you live within the district lines. And, CH is very expensive, in part because of all of these amenities.

Browns Summit doesn't exactly show up on anybody's radar that I'm aware of, as a particularly "good schools" place, but maybe you found something that says that. It would be Guilford County schools if you want to research more.

I still think your kids would get more out of the very-much college town atmosphere of Chapel Hill (which, while I've never been to Madison, I have heard from many who have lived in both that it is indeed a lot like Madison, without the lakes). You'd also be closer to Durham and Raleigh for cultural events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina