Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM

375 posts, read 782,150 times

Advertisements

...I will have 5 days of vacation time saved up in April 2007. I would like to use 3 of these to visit one of NC's cities. I'm looking at Carrboro, High Point, Burlington, Gastonia or Clayton. I fully intend to move to NC in 2008 and my goal is to get a property that has at least an acre of land for $200,00 or less. I like older architecture and space space space, but I also want to be no more than 20-30 minutes away from a thriving enertainment center (food, shopping, theaters, clubs etc...)

So I guess my question is two fold: if you only had 3 days to check out a city you planned to move to, and your criteria was similar to what I've posted which of the cities that I've listed would you choose?

After choosing the city, what sights, sounds and places would you suggest I check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 01:21 PM

???

Was my question too vague?

Old 12-07-2006, 01:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
...I will have 5 days of vacation time saved up in April 2007. I would like to use 3 of these to visit one of NC's cities. I'm looking at Carrboro, High Point, Burlington, Gastonia or Clayton. I fully intend to move to NC in 2008 and my goal is to get a property that has at least an acre of land for $200,00 or less. I like older architecture and space space space, but I also want to be no more than 20-30 minutes away from a thriving enertainment center (food, shopping, theaters, clubs etc...)

So I guess my question is two fold: if you only had 3 days to check out a city you planned to move to, and your criteria was similar to what I've posted which of the cities that I've listed would you choose?

After choosing the city, what sights, sounds and places would you suggest I check out?
Vagabond, the thing is all of these areas are not exactly huge so you could easily see at least four of them by staying in Burlington or Raleigh. Gastonia is the only one not in that part of the state. Nothing against Gastonia, but there are other places I might look instead if I were you (unless you have a reason like family being in the area to go there). I would suggest Newton for instance, which has easy access to Hickory for entertainment. Or maybe Granite Quarry south of Salisbury but convenient to Concord too. Good luck in your search

Old 12-07-2006, 02:01 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Out of that list, I'd say Carrboro is by far the more interesting one, and the only one I'd consider living in. It's progressive, has a great art and music scene, wonderful restaurants/cafes and shopping, and is overall a really awesome place to be. I visit it at least monthly when I can, if not more, and always enjoy my time there. The Weaver Street Market is grocery co-op like none other I've ever seen...the shoppers actually own the store...and its food bar is great, with sometimes playing live music on the lawn. The ArtsCenter is a great place for a live show or art exhibit. Best of all, 90% of the things to do in Carrboro are within walking distance of each other, so you park the car and forget it!
And of course the rest of the Triangle (Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh) are nearby to add museums, more nightlife, colleges, parks and other amenities to your everyday life.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM

94 posts, read 345,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Vagabond, I agree with the other poster regarding Gastonia. I don't think you'll be able to find property for that price in Carrboro but you may in Hillsborough. You might luck up in Burlington or Graham and I can help you in this area (I live in Burlington) but there's not much in the entertainment dept. unless you go to Greensboro (25 min. up the road). The shopping is improving alot here though with lot's of new restaraunts and strip malls going up.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post
I don't think you'll be able to find property for that price in Carrboro but you may in Hillsborough.
Yeah, if they choose Carrboro, and still want that large parcel of cheap land, then they'll most likely need to look outside of the town limits, either north towards Hillsborough or west towards Calvander/White Cross area.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Yeah, if they choose Carrboro, and still want that large parcel of cheap land, then they'll most likely need to look outside of the town limits, either north towards Hillsborough or west towards Calvander/White Cross area.

I agree, and it's not far from the action at all.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 PM

Vagabond, could you give us more info on your needs and preferences?

Are you retired or will you be seeking employment? Do you mind a rural area? What kind of entertainment are you interested in?

That would help us alot. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:02 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Knowing Gastonia very well, the only reason I wouldn't recommend it to you is because you the property tax rate is pretty high. What the above posters said about Hillsborough is a good idea. Rual, but still in the Raleigh area.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post
Vagabond, could you give us more info on your needs and preferences?

Are you retired or will you be seeking employment? Do you mind a rural area? What kind of entertainment are you interested in?

That would help us alot. Thanks!
I am way late, but if you happen to read this
Not retired. I am in a flexible industry that allows me to work from a satelite office, so I can pretty much live any where.

Entertainment wise, I like live perfomances, art, music, theatre, concerts. If I relocate to NC, I would have no problem moving to a quiet town and commuting up to 45 minute to an entertainmemt district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina