Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 28,469 times

Advertisements

My husband has just accepted a job in between these two larger cities. We now have to decide where we want to live. We are from a larger metro area. We are fifteen minutes from Akron, and 45 mins from Cleveland - so we are close to lots of things to do.

I know Raleigh is close to the same distance as Cleveland is to us now, so we will probably head there when we need that feeling of a bigger city. We are 36 and 41 with no children. We would like to find an area where we can meet some friends.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would appreciate any imput...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,423 times
Gosh - What a choice.
I grew up in Detroit, and spent 7 years East of Wilson in Greenville.
I know that Ohio is having plenty of economic problems and you probably don't have much of a choice. Just know that you are really in for a culture shock.
Of the two areas you mentioned, I would say that Wilson would probably be better but again that just isn't much of a choice. I think I would consider somewhere like Zebulon (closer to Raleigh) and commute to work.
As far as making friends, you might want to consider getting involved in a church. Church culture is huge in the South and a good way to meet people.
Know that you will have to be careful about comparing anything there to Up-North. They are very sensitive about that kind of thing as most people are.
Slow down a little and accept that it is a different world that you are moving into.
God bless you and good luck.
Feel free to PM me if you feel necessary.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM

58 posts, read 229,209 times
I like the above poster grew up most of my life in Detroit, and I now Live in Rocky Mount, on the edgecombe county side. Rocky mount is 90% african american, 5% hispanic, and 5% white. Most of rocky mount is poor, and the housing is probably something lie you would find in the slums of cleveland. The food in rocky mount is bad compared to wilson. Wilson is a way better place to live, and the stores and malls are a little better in wilson. There is plenty good places to eat in wilson too, and wilson has easy access to raliegh and greenville on US264, and I95. Rocky mount is about the same distance from raliegh as wilson, but rocky mount looks more like the projects in cleveland, and wilson looks more like akron.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:52 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
Wilson and west of Wilson are by far the better option. We moved from MI last year and are renting in Rocky Mount right now, will buy a house this year in Wilson or west in the country. Zebulon is a wonderful choice, you will be close to Raleigh and also your husband's work. This is an area that has just begun to grow, stores and restaurants are just beginning to locate themselves here, so for speciality shopping you will need Raleigh or Greenville. On a personal note I think that Wilson is a city that is growing with a vision and you will have a return on your property investment.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
Default Sorry about the second post but.

We moved from GR Michigan (actually a suburb north of GR), so we too are used to having more around. NC is a breath of fresh air, and I hope I never feel any different, the country here is beautiful and the Spring is just breath taking! I hope that you enjoy your move as much as we have! By the way, please don't be frightened off by thinking there is a northen/southern thing down here, I have never met anyone who has been rude to me. People are just people wherever you live.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
I like the above poster grew up most of my life in Detroit, and I now Live in Rocky Mount, on the edgecombe county side. Rocky mount is 90% african american, 5% hispanic, and 5% white. Most of rocky mount is poor, and the housing is probably something lie you would find in the slums of cleveland. The food in rocky mount is bad compared to wilson. Wilson is a way better place to live, and the stores and malls are a little better in wilson. There is plenty good places to eat in wilson too, and wilson has easy access to raliegh and greenville on US264, and I95. Rocky mount is about the same distance from raliegh as wilson, but rocky mount looks more like the projects in cleveland, and wilson looks more like akron.
I have to wonder why you injected race into the issue of which city is better? I guess that's the kind of thing that matters to you.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I have to wonder why you injected race into the issue of which city is better? I guess that's the kind of thing that matters to you.
That's what I was wondering too. I grew up in the RockyMount/Wilson area, and trust me those percentages are false.

According to Wikipedia, Rocky Mount is 56% African American and 41% white.

Wilson is 48% African American and 47% are white. The Hispanic population has risen in the last few years so these numbers may not reflect that.

Always research for the facts, and never just trust anyone's opinion and perception of an area alone.

Oh, and each of these cities has their bad areas and their good areas, just like Raleigh, Durham, or Charlotte; just on a smaller scale. Rocky Mount and Wilson are basically sister cities if you ask me; similar size, population, demographics, and location. In my opinion the shopping is actually a tad better in Rocky Mount than in Wilson. Parkwood Mall just sucks if you ask me. There is a new owner trying to improve it though. Golden East in RM is by far the better of the two malls.

Last edited by ncsu99; 01-26-2007 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-26-2007, 01:59 PM

58 posts, read 229,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post

I just wanted them to get a feel of what this area is like. I know a lot of people up north who though the south is all white-country folks. Im not saying that im prejudice, im just informing people of what kinds of people live here. I also mention poverty because there is tons of poverty here in rocky mount, and I dont think its the kinda place a suburban cleveland native would want to live in, in my opinion.

Also I am speaking for the edgecombe county side of rocky mount. The nash county side is far more "white" than the edgecombe county side, not that thats a bad thing, but the majority who live here are in poverty.

Golden East Mall is a good mall in RM, but I cant find my way around it, and I come out of there mad everytime I go in there which is not much.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:36 PM

325 posts, read 1,408,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
I just wanted them to get a feel of what this area is like. I know a lot of people up north who though the south is all white-country folks. Im not saying that im prejudice, im just informing people of what kinds of people live here. I also mention poverty because there is tons of poverty here in rocky mount, and I dont think its the kinda place a suburban cleveland native would want to live in, in my opinion.

Also I am speaking for the edgecombe county side of rocky mount. The nash county side is far more "white" than the edgecombe county side, not that thats a bad thing, but the majority who live here are in poverty.

Golden East Mall is a good mall in RM, but I cant find my way around it, and I come out of there mad everytime I go in there which is not much.
OK, I just needed a little clarification on why you were giving skewed numbers on the demographics of the area. No harm, no foul!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,678 times
I'm sorry....there is no comparison between Rocky-Mount and Wilson. Wilson is the better city in a land slide! I'm sorry.....Rocky Mount is a dump.

I also don't understand why race was brought into this....by the second poster that mentioned it. Rocky mount does seem 90% black. The crime is very high, downtown is ran down, dirty....and yes, it has to do with race. Call me what you want....I don't care. Facts are facts. (this has to do with the fact most of these people are poor)

Thats all I have to say on that matter. So please don't turn this thread into that. (I am narrow minded....there I said it....I saved you the trouble)

I agree that Wilson has better places to eat. They have a bunch of small locally owned places. Rocky's steak house is a great example.

If you like malls, Rocky Mount leads easily in that cat. But Wilson is growing nicely, and I'm sure the future will bring better and better places to shop.

Anyway, welcome to NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina