Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,951,166 times

Advertisements

Pennsylvania and North Carolina share the distinction of having the biggest rural populations and the most spread-out populations of all states.. Therefore I feel that the statement "Large metro areas carry their states" applies the least here.

North Carolina and Georgia will always be neck and neck in population, and as far as the South goes they compliment each other well.

Georgia has a real, very large big metro but the state itself is about the most primitive in America.

North Carolina has smaller metros with more small-town mentalities, but the State itself is near the top of America's most advanced and forward thinking.

Don't bother contradicting this, I'm tired of explaining how exceptional NC's state stewardship and planning for the future is. Search my screen name for the extensive facts I used to form my opinion.

But Georgia and NC aren't going to surpass Calif., Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Ohio in population anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 06:27 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Pennsylvania and North Carolina share the distinction of having the biggest rural populations and the most spread-out populations of all states.. Therefore I feel that the statement "Large metro areas carry their states" applies the least here.
Source?

Quote:
Georgia has a real, very large big metro but the state itself is about the most primitive in America.
Source?

Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,401,835 times
Quote:
Raw numbers mean nothing, percentages are the only valid consideration. NC is twice as urban as rural, percentage wise. The urban areas could carry the state. Unfortunately, the urban republicans vote in lockstep with their rural counterparts to prevent real progress.

And btw, Texas has the largest number of rural residents, with NC second and Pennsylvania third.

Quote:
North Carolina has smaller metros with more small-town mentalities, but the State itself is near the top of America's most advanced and forward thinking.

Don't bother contradicting this, I'm tired of explaining how exceptional NC's state stewardship and planning for the future is. Search my screen name for the extensive facts I used to form my opinion.
It used to be. I guess you're not aware of the political changes that have occurred over the last 7 years. Hopefully we can get back to where we were.

Last edited by BC1960; 08-24-2017 at 07:47 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 09:46 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,984,407 times
Quote:

North Carolina and Georgia will always be neck and neck in population, and as far as the South goes they compliment each other well.

But Georgia and NC aren't going to surpass Calif., Texas, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Ohio in population anytime soon.
if someone's opinion is informed by the current political climate you'll never change their opinion it's not even based on information but their justifying or challening their political feelings.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
if someone's opinion is informed by the current political climate you'll never change their opinion it's not even based on information but their justifying or challening their political feelings.
No idea what thats supposed to mean. Ever heard of punctuation?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:05 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,719,685 times
North Carolina ranks 37th in the United States for percentage of its population living in a US Census Urban Area.

https://priceonomics.com/the-most-ur...es-in-america/

Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Whether or not it's percentages or absolute numbers or definitions of urban areas,

there is no denying NC has a lot of rural counties from one side to another, with the true urban/rural population ratio at about 60/40.

All I was trying to do was show that the statement "big city carries state" didn't apply to NC nearly as much as say Georgia, where the population is clustered to one area for the most part.

NC's current leadership doesn't cancel out 200 years of the state holding itself to a higher standard that the rest of its neighbors.

Some back and forth political leadership over the long run should be good for the state in at least testing different policies and learning from them

MY NUMBER ONE CONCERN FOR NC IS THE LOSS OF TREES.

Please protect the state's greatest asset and prod your community to PLANT, PLANT, PLANT!

It's a win, win for beauty, preventing heat-island for cities, providing oxygen......

Old 08-25-2017, 11:47 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
All I was trying to do was show that the statement "big city carries state" didn't apply to NC nearly as much as say Georgia, where the population is clustered to one area for the most part.
Why must you make almost everything a competition between NC and GA? Geesh dude.

And the rule still applies to NC, even if it applies more to some other states.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why must you make almost everything a competition between NC and GA? Geesh dude.

And the rule still applies to NC, even if it applies more to some other states.
It would be a competition if the two states were fundamentally the same, not different.

The statement "big city carries state" applies more to 48 OTHER STATES MORE THAN NORTH CAROLINA, the state least dominated by a single major city.

You complain about something before even actually processing what's being said.

I apologize for supporting my statement by using Georgia, because that confused you.

I should have cited Virginia, or Tennessee, or California, or Washington, or Illionois, or NY, states with big cities that overwhelmingly do carry their states.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
It would be a competition if the two states were fundamentally the same, not different.

The statement "big city carries state" applies more to 48 OTHER STATES MORE THAN NORTH CAROLINA, the state least dominated by a single major city.

You complain about something before even actually processing what's being said.

I apologize for supporting my statement by using Georgia, because that confused you.

I should have cited Virginia, or Tennessee, or California, or Washington, or Illionois, or NY, states with big cities that overwhelmingly do carry their states.
Whether its one large urban area, or several medium sized urban areas combined, is irrelevant. The point I made was that NC's urban areas combined COULD carry the state, if they chose to do so. Instead, they blindly follow political affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina