Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 05:24 AM

5 posts, read 18,055 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've really enjoyed reading the info posted on this forum. I currently live in N.J., and not really happy about it. Last week we were down in the Winston Salem area looking for houses and property.
Now for my question, I keep hearing about all these taxes that you pay in N.C., I guess they are called property taxes. My property taxes in N.j. are resonable, about $3600, but I don't pay additionally for the other items I own.
So if I move down to N.C. I am going to pay taxes on my home, my car, my pick-up, my camper, and my 1967 GTO, is this correct? If it is can someone give me an Idea of how much the taxes are on these items, I assume it is based on current value, so take the truck 2004 Chevy 2500hd, new $46000, now according to Kelly BB it's about $28000, so can someone give me an estimate on what the tax would be on this truck? Also did I miss any other items that might be taxed ie Mower, hot tub, pool, pool table...

I know it is a long winded question, but I don't want any suprises, Thanks ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2006, 07:23 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog1340
I know it is a long winded question, but I don't want any suprises, Thanks ed
Now this is long-winded!
http://www.dor.state.nc.us/practitioner/property/types.html (broken link)

I'm not sure if it is a state wide assessment; perhaps someone else can pipe up with the answer; but the county where I reside also taxes dogs -- yes DOGS. Whenever we've adopted another pupster, and gotten its rabies tags, the county tax office is notified. I forget how they are assessed .. $5/year per dog? Anyway, also, every year we get a form where we have to list improvements to our property. Here again, we've returned the form so I can't give a verbatim answer, but things like: adding a storage shed to the property, or a pool, affect your assessment.

Like all tax systems, if the state/county can find a way to tax an item - even a critter - they will

Old 04-28-2006, 07:38 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
Cars, trucks, real estate, RV's, motorcycles, even little lawn mower trailers use to haul things are taxable. That is in addition to your house of course. It is called property taxes. The way the DMV thing works is when you register you car or what have you, you get a plate or sticker for the back of the vehicle. About three months later you get a bill for the value that DMV determines. And they don't care if the car is totalled at that point or how many miles it has on it. If you don't pay the bill, when you go back for the tags the next year, supposely you can't buy them until you pay the property taxes. If you still don't pay because the car was totally during that three months that you were waiting for the bill, they can garnish your wages. If that fails, then they go after any tax refunds you might have. The year my husband bought a trailer to haul lawn mowers on, we were hit with a nearly $400.00 bill for the property taxes on it. And why? Chris paid something like $800.00 for the homemade utlity trailer. But apparently there is a brand name Utility trailer and that is what they were billing us for. It took me I don't even remember how long to finally get it straightened out and I finally had to go to the apprasial company that sends the values to DMV. Then we had a 1991 car that was my daughter's but was registered in my name when she was in college in the mid 90's. The engine blew up in the car, we never registered it in our name and year after year we got a bill for it. I didn't pay it. Since I don't work and the car was in my name I knew they couldn't garnish anything. But then they went after our state refund. But since all the money paid to the state in taxes came from my husband and I had no income, they still didn't get it. They can't hold a spouse responsible for the other one's bills like this. So I am waiting to see what they come up with next. It isn't that much but it is the principle of the thing. And around this time they had fired two employees for embezzling. And I about know as good as I know my name that we paid it but it was paid in cash. And I just am not going to pay it again. Dogs they tax as well or at least they did sometime back. They come around every few years here and check to see if the property can be apprasied any higher and they do that if they can.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:41 AM

Oh if you have a vehicle that is clearly not worth what they are billing you for, you can take the vehicle to the county office and let the tax appraiser look at it or you can get an estimate from someone who is in a car dealer or what have you give you an estimate of what the vehicle is worth. But you only have 30 days from the time you get the bill that has the value on it to do it. So don't wait any longer or you will get stuck at least that year paying what they deem is the value of the said vehicle.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:09 PM

Hey guys
thanks for the replies. still trying to figure out it is financially worth leaving N.J. and going to N.C. i know that living wise, i have know dought that anywhere but jersey would be GREAT, but finances are important also.

Thanks again

Old 04-28-2006, 07:22 PM

I doubt seriously that a move here from Jersey would make the cost of living higher here. Not from what I have heard people that moved here from the north have said anyway. The average rent on a 800 sq foot apartment with 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, bath and a half with storage space is less than $400.00 a month where I am. In Raleigh, the same type apartment would be about $750.00 maybe. That is what my daughter was paying before she moved. But I would be willing to bet that her apartment was larger than 800 square feet. It was really nice and they had a pool and tennis courts. Housing costs are definitely cheaper. As for utlities, I don't have a clue. Our phone runs about $50.00 a month but we don't have a long distance carrier. With cell phones, I didn't see the need to spend another $28.00 a month for unlimited long distance. The electric bill averages about $150.00 a month and our water, sewage and garbage pickup is on one bill that is $32.00 a month for the first 4000 gallons of water and it goes up $14.00 on the thousand after that. The cable here is horrible but we use Directway for the satellite. And with that, you get what you are willing to pay for it. Since we don't go anywhere to amount to anything and I am here nearly all the time, we probably pay close to the maximum amount for the satellite which is in the $120.00 a month range. But I haven't rented a movie from a video store since we got it. That leaves food, insurance for the cars, mortgage if you carry one or rent, the cell phones we have, and my internet provider. I don't get out a lot. I have lupus and it is just not worth the energy it takes to go anywhere for me. So we don't eat out a lot either. We would probably eat more pizza than we did if we had a pizza delivery here but we don't I would have to go at least 11 miles to get one. I hope that when you make the move that you will be happy with your decision to come here. I can't imagine ever living anywhere else.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 PM

311 posts, read 618,444 times
hog1340,

don't know about NJ, but in NC you pay county tax and if you are in the city limits a town (or city) tax is added on to that. TAX is the name of the game! I well remember the shock of having to pay vehicle tax on our cars every year...how ridiculous, but it happens! "They" say more schools, more infrastructure, you name it, has to be added because population is growing by leaps and bounds.
oh well, two sure things.....death and taxes....make that taxes and death. No make that taxed TO death and then there are estate taxes.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:40 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,909 times
Default taxes

The property taxes you are asking about are on vehicles and certain trailers. You wouldn't have it on your pool table, personal belongings, etc. The tax on a 30k value car would probably be about $200-$300 per year. This tax is assessed at the county level.

There is also a real property tax, of course - I would assume that this would be lower than in NJ, and the rate depends on where you live. If you don't live within any city limits, your tax would be lower since you wouldn't have to pay both the county AND city tax.

Income tax rates start out around 6%, move up to 7%, hits 7.75% around $100k NC taxable income, and then 8.25% above around $200k.

The sales tax rate is 7%, although I believe it is 7.5% in Mecklenburg County(Charlotte). I may be off by a small amount, but I know that Mecklenburg has a higher rate than every other county.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:20 AM

Hey all
Once again Thanks!
I didn't really mean it would be more expensive in nc, we would have to take a pretty substantial pay cut, but would make a nice chunk of change selling our home. I was just trying to get some real numbers to do some comparing.

Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:14 AM

We are in the city limits, well, we were annexed into the city limits, of Snow Hill. And every year we have to pay both county and city taxes. And every year we complain because the neigbbor to the north of us is in the county without the extra taxes and so is the neighbor across the street. Actually the seven houses in between us and the area where the city limits use to be are all county except for those of us on this one street that we and several other live on. But we pay it. It isn't a huge amount and I believe I am right in saying that the city taxes have been the same thing the entire 14 years that we have lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina