Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

All of the most walkable communities in the Triangle are also the most expensive places to live. I think that might surprise a transplant. You simply can't buy a move-in ready house for $250K and live in a hip, safe, walkable neighborhood. Both Raleigh and Durham were tiny cities when denser communities were built (pre WWII), and much of the development throughout the Triangle is post 1970s when the development model was definitely car oriented. Downtown and downtown adjacent Raleigh and Durham have seen their housing prices escalate much more rapidly than the metro as a whole and you get far less space for your money. The same is true for almost all of Chapel Hill and Carrboro as that's primarily an upscale college town.
I don't know what the OP's expectations are but a lot of people think that they are going to move to the Triangle, spend 200K and get a cute renovated historic bungalow near either downtown. That's just not going to happen. It don't think it will happen in Charlotte either.
I'd advise the OP to do some research on national RE websites to get an idea for the areas that meet their pricing expectations before falling in love with somewhere that doesn't match it. It will also make a shorter visit to the Triangle more productive.
That all said, there are still some areas around Raleigh and Durham that are very-to-fairly close-in to the cores with affordable options; they just aren't terribly walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 06:37 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
All of the most walkable communities in the Triangle are also the most expensive places to live. I think that might surprise a transplant. You simply can't buy a move-in ready house for $250K and live in a hip, safe, walkable neighborhood. Both Raleigh and Durham were tiny cities when denser communities were built (pre WWII), and much of the development throughout the Triangle is post 1970s when the development model was definitely car oriented. Downtown and downtown adjacent Raleigh and Durham have seen their housing prices escalate much more rapidly than the metro as a whole and you get far less space for your money. The same is true for almost all of Chapel Hill and Carrboro as that's primarily an upscale college town.
I don't know what the OP's expectations are but a lot of people think that they are going to move to the Triangle, spend 200K and get a cute renovated historic bungalow near either downtown. That's just not going to happen. It don't think it will happen in Charlotte either.
I'd advise the OP to do some research on national RE websites to get an idea for the areas that meet their pricing expectations before falling in love with somewhere that doesn't match it. It will also make a shorter visit to the Triangle more productive.
That all said, there are still some areas around Raleigh and Durham that are very-to-fairly close-in to the cores with affordable options; they just aren't terribly walkable.
Like everyone else, we want it all and at a low price. But we're realistic. We aren't a young couple and have some experience under our belts. We've been doing what we can in terms of research and have our priorities and expectations set. And those expectations do not include walkable and they do not include a home for 250k. Remember, we're from Boston. We didn't have any sticker shock when looking at real estate. You should see how much homes that are convenient to in demand areas go for here. We've been lucky and this area has been very good to us so we're in a good place. I'm not planning on being shocked by things, my expectations are mellow and conservative. Most important part for us is if we feel the area is a better place for our kid to grow up. So far, we think it is but we'll see.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:29 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Where are the areas that offer racial integration?
Below are images of Raleigh's current city council and Charlotte's previous city council. I tried to find an image of Charlotte's current, but I couldn't with my limited time. The current council for Charlotte is just as diverse as the previous.

Raleigh

Charlotte

Both cities are very diverse, integrated, and educated. However, in Charlotte diversity extends into our local politics as well.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Like everyone else, we want it all and at a low price. But we're realistic. We aren't a young couple and have some experience under our belts. We've been doing what we can in terms of research and have our priorities and expectations set. And those expectations do not include walkable and they do not include a home for 250k. Remember, we're from Boston. We didn't have any sticker shock when looking at real estate. You should see how much homes that are convenient to in demand areas go for here. We've been lucky and this area has been very good to us so we're in a good place. I'm not planning on being shocked by things, my expectations are mellow and conservative. Most important part for us is if we feel the area is a better place for our kid to grow up. So far, we think it is but we'll see.

Thanks.
That's good to know. Sorry for being presumptuous, it's just that I've seen it time and time again that people have very unrealistic expectations.
Given your experience and level headedness, I don't think that you'll have any problems finding an excellent place in either area to raise your kid.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Very hot here in the summer. Expect 95º and 95% humidity from mid-May through mid-September and you'll be happy if there are a few 85º days thrown in there, too. It's pretty typical for it to go up over 100 a few times a summer although it doesn't always happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I understand that you are trying to set some expectations, but this is hyperbole. The OP can look at the data for Summer weather here and scroll through months and years.
https://www.wunderground.com/history...ic=&reqdb.wmo=
It's not hyperbole to say that it's very hot here in the summer. And I think maybe you misread, I didn't say that it is 95º and 95% humidity every day of the summer — I said if you expect the heat you'll be happy when it's 85º, and that's true. Doesn't 85º feel great in the middle of July?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina