Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 AM

36 posts, read 41,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Pretty much everything. Downtown has completely revitalized, new (and great) restaurants are popping up everywhere, New Hanover County grew by 12% between 2010 and 2017, surrounding areas are growing like crazy, UNC-W is growing and improving, etc., etc. The only downside is lack of corporate jobs, but otherwise, its on fire.
Good to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Wilson: on the outer limits of the Triangle, excellent freeways/interstate access, Gateway to Coastal North Carolina/Virginia, on I-95, relatively close to DC and the Northeast urban corridor, cheap housing.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Part of the reason the Triad section is not as active is because you see very little contributions from Winston-Salem. Strangly, there is a lot going on there to but for some reason there is lack of activity on the forums. It leaves the impression that only Greensboro is active in the Triad. There are only a hand full of Greensboro posters too. Only about two or three post Greensboro posts on a regular basis. Myself and a few others. By contrast you see dozens of people posting in the Charlotte forums. Part of it is lack of interest in the Triad in regards to posting on urban development forums but its not like there isnt anything going on. I do think there are a lot of lurkers but they never post. The Triad posting trend seems to be the same on the other urban website forums as well. Ironically, the Greenville, NC thread is more active.
For whatever reason, Winston-Salem folks pretty much exclusively post on their own hot forum, WSTB: WSTB • Index page

Old 04-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Think it through for a bit. Asheville and Apex have evolved into places where people come to eat/shop and walk around, much like Davidson and Huntersville (Birkdale Village).
What are the hot tourist shopping spots in Apex?

Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
A HOT city to me is some place that shows up in magazines and out of staters move to...but the locals also will consider and already has an establishment in place.

Most of these are in the Charlotte and Raleigh metro, but we have seen Winterville in the Greenville region and Leland in the Wilmington region on the hot list in the past 15 years. I'm sure there are some in the Triad as well.

The move by millennials to marry and have kids later and live close to things may stop the outlying towns as becoming hot. We'll see... though many of the out of staters are used to living in suburbs, that's where they start when relocating.

In terms of "Next"...Watch out for the Powell's Point/Harbinger area of Currituck Co. A huge regional (Outer Banks/Tidewater) H2OBX waterpark was just built there. The land is a bit cheaper on the mainland side of the bridge for retiree's that are looking to move to the Outer Banks. And once the Mid Currituck bridge is built to Corrolla, the commute to the Tidewater area (an area that people don't mind driving an hour to commute) is better (less traffic). Schools are good and growing.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
For whatever reason, Winston-Salem folks pretty much exclusively post on their own hot forum, WSTB: WSTB • Index page
That's interesting that Winston-Salemers have a forum. How is it "hot"?

Old 04-09-2018, 10:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Think it through for a bit. Asheville and Apex have evolved into places where people come to eat/shop and walk around, much like Davidson and Huntersville (Birkdale Village). Random suburbs don't embody the definition of "hot" in this context and why I threw out those options as references hoping that helped establish a definition. I grappled with using Hillsborough over Mebane but it arguably is already there in terms of having a destination downtown. Burlington has the footprint of a downtown ready for redevelopment and a favorable geographic location so figured perhaps, but who knows...
I have never heard of anyone going to Apex to "eat/shop and walk around". I think maybe you're confusing Apex with somewhere else. People who already live in Apex go to Apex, but I don't think it has much of a draw for anyone else.

Asheville is a huge tourism generator for the state. Apex is a suburban bedroom community. They are pretty different kinds of cities. Of the Raleigh suburbs I think folks do go to Cary for some restaurants and events, but not so much Apex.

Hillsborough is a great town, but Orange County keeps a pretty tight lid on explosive growth. Orange County has a slower-growth mindset. Like Chapel Hill, Hillsborough continues to grow at a brisk rate, but you would never find a Chatham Park happening in Orange County. We do have Carraway Village coming online soon, though.

For comparison to Davidson you might pick Elon instead of Burlington. Both Davidson and Elon are college towns so they have that commonality, but I don't see Elon being as quaint as Davidson. Because of the university, though, it's got more going on than Burlington.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Pittsboro. But there could be a lot of answers depending on how the definition of the question is interpreted.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's interesting that Winston-Salemers have a forum. How is it "hot"?
Seems to be a lot of topics but even still doesn't seem to be a lot of daily posts. In general, Triad residents don't seem to be enthusiastic about posting on urban forums despite all of the activity. Even having their own forum, typically people will still post on the other forums. But in this case I kind of know why..... Ummm no Triad unity.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:34 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Seems to be a lot of topics but even still doesn't seem to be a lot of daily posts. In general, Triad residents don't seem to be enthusiastic about posting on urban forums despite all of the activity. Even having their own forum, typically people will still post on the other forums. But in this case I kind of know why..... Ummm no Triad unity.
I do understand why you'd say this..because you're right that the Triad forum doesn't have nearly as much activity as the Charlotte or Triangle forum. Speaking for myself, being part of the Triad, I do like to post in those other forums simply because I enjoy hearing and learning about different happenings going on in other corners of the state. I already know about many of the developments going on in the Triad, so I suppose I've been guilty of not posting as much in its sub-forum myself because I know there isn't going to be as much response, except from a few very dedicated posters, such as yourself.

I misread the "hot" cities meaning of in my earlier post--thinking it meant fast growing areas-- and I can no longer edit it. As far as the Triad is concerned, though, there has been lots of revitalization and repurposing going on not only in its bigger cities (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point), but also most smaller towns within Guilford and Forsyth and surrounding counties, even in areas that have faced more economic struggles than some of the more affluent areas of the Triangle and Charlotte region. So in that regard it definitely has seen activity and has even more potential to be a hot region.

Although much of the Triad has a slower to moderate growth rate in comparison to the areas of the state with explosive growth, in many ways it has a richer history to build on. No offense to places like Holly Springs, Huntersville, and Indian Trail, but they don't have the established history that the older communities that dot the Triad have, since the bulk of their growth has occurred during a time where development is formulated by HOA covenants and an attractive, but rather generic suburban (even if it has a "neo traditional" face) commercial model that hasn't been seasoned.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-10-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina