Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times

Advertisements

If it hits NC I wish it would hit on the weekend. If it does hit,
it looks like it might be a Thursday or Friday event which
means I'll be at work and miss it. I've cleaned my gutters, the only
other thing I have to do to prepare is get some steaks and make sure
my camera batteries are all charged and I'm good to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:17 PM

806 posts, read 604,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
That's worse then for Raleigh, if it hit the NC/VA border it would be north of us and we would be spared. We booked that hotel for now, but certainly if Atlanta is in the path, we'll go somewhere else. The bottom line is we're not sticking around here unless by some miracle this thing misses Raleigh.
It's a moving target. We have reservations for Asheville as a possible backup plan but as of tonight it's now in the path. Waiting to see where we are at tomorrow afternoon. If its further south again I will be kind of relieved since that will start looking like a trend AWAY from here. The most interesting stat I have read so far is the Weather Service was off with their predictions by 150 miles on average last season.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:10 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We were in Annapolis for the Derecho! We had gas in the car but every gas station we went by until we were off the Delmarva had a line 20 cars long at each pump.

Poppydog drives electric cars so I suppose this point is moot for her but I'm not leaving myself without reliable transportation before, during or after a major storm. Not after being on LI after Sandy and seeing people lined up with their gas cans at gas stations.
Yes, it sucked waiting in line for about an hour/hour half to fill the tank in my car. I think it was at least a week after the storm too. I remember hearing about all the station that recieved gas and ran out right away. It was crazy. So needless to say my tank is full now and I will top it off later in the week - lesson learned!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I do have an electric vehicle and will top that one off! It will get us to our place in Boone on one charge, but it sounds like it might be bad up there too. We also have a van, but I don't think we're planning on going anywhere.

I just googled "how many people died in Hurricane Fran in Raleigh" and the first result google showed was this:

Quote:
At least six people were killed in the Carolinas; most of them were from auto accidents and more died as a result of the shock from the damage of the storm. In North Carolina, 1.3 million people were left without power.
Hurricane Fran - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Fran
So best advice is don't drive!!

If you evac will you have a neighbor who can check on your home? I'd hate to leave for a week and come home and find out that there was a tree through my roof and had been that way for the week I was gone.

The N&O did a good retrospective on Fran a couple of years ago on the 20th anniversary. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...e99266457.html

Old 09-10-2018, 04:36 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I do have an electric vehicle and will top that one off! It will get us to our place in Boone on one charge, but it sounds like it might be bad up there too. We also have a van, but I don't think we're planning on going anywhere.
My husband is supposed to go up there for business on Wednesday. Would rather he not. Allan Huffman just posted his prediction of 47+ inches of rain in the mountains.

I don't think anyone is planning on any unnecessary travel. But the idea that you should leave your mode of transportation unusable is foolish.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:29 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
Do underground utilities help prevent power outages? We've lived in our house in Cary since 2011 and never had power go out, but nothing like Florence has ever come through here in that time frame.

Wondering if I need to go buy a generator.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:50 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Do underground utilities help prevent power outages? We've lived in our house in Cary since 2011 and never had power go out, but nothing like Florence has ever come through here in that time frame.

Wondering if I need to go buy a generator.
I'll let you decide if you need one for the storm, but think about the generator after the storm. Do you have a place to store it? Can you do the proper maintenance after the storm so it will work in the next storm? Can you get non-ethanol gas to keep it running during a possible multi-day long power outage?

Look online ahead of time about how much of a generator you need. If you just want to keep the refrigerator going is different level of generator than keeping the air-conditioning on at 65 with tv's and computers running.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 AM

76 posts, read 56,547 times
I'm supposed to fly from RDU to NYC on Sunday afternoon. With Florence coming in Thursday night, would you expect impacts to last until then and that one will likely get canceled?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:52 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkus View Post
I'm supposed to fly from RDU to NYC on Sunday afternoon. With Florence coming in Thursday night, would you expect impacts to last until then and that one will likely get canceled?

Probably a little early to tell....it could come in and stall a bit with torrential rains. I heard a projected 20-30 in of rain could be possible...

Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
That reminds me....for western NC don't think you're out of it.

Those who remember Hurricane Hugo that made landfall in Charleston then ravaged almost the entire state of NC. So inlanders are not off the hook.

Be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina