Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 01:54 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
If you hate the South so much, why don’t you leave so you can be safe from us scary dumb southern folk?

she got dragged to CLT a year ago. who knows why. Given the stated misery in FL, hard to pinpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 11:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
People move here because there are jobs. The state doesn't treat corps as cash cows like others (cough NJ, IL, etc).

NC income taxes are still high, it needed to be dropped. It's easy to ask for others to pay more in tax, though.

I would happily pay more in taxes to fund better schools and fix our crumbling infrastructure. Those things are investments, and they're not something the market is effective at providing.

People move to NC for the cost of living. There are jobs everywhere, but the housing market isn't as suffocating for the middle class as most major cities have become.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I would happily pay more in taxes to fund better schools and fix our crumbling infrastructure. Those things are investments, and they're not something the market is effective at providing.

People move to NC for the cost of living. There are jobs everywhere, but the housing market isn't as suffocating for the middle class as most major cities have become.
NC's education system needs a little more money and some tweeking here and there to be able to rise to at least mid-pack among the educational quality rankings by state. Taxes don't have to be raised to eye-bleeding levels for this to occur. Just raising NC teachers' starting salary by a few grand would help up retain a lot more of them. The turnover rate for new teachers in this state is depressingly high! Why get a degree (with the corresponding debt that goes with it!) to work for $30,000 to $35,000 and have to pay a steep price for state spouse and family benefits that would cause most teachers in other states to go on strike!

Most new teachers are sent to "problem" schools and quickly burn out without decent mentoring. Now that the NC legislature got cheap and decided not to pay extra for Master's degrees or continuing education to maintain credentials, our teachers have little incentive to increase their skills. So, down the road, teacher quality falls compared to other states.

Perhaps some of the needed funds would be in hand if the legislature hadn't decided to give the wealthy a nice tax break, by cutting the income tax rate for the richest in our state, while simultaneously instituting taxes on services, which burden the middle class even more, but end up producing less revenue!

Someone told me North Carolina used to be referred to as the "Good Roads State"! This must have been during the "antebellum South" period!

Old 10-06-2018, 03:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:

Sorry, I have no interest in paying more in taxes, unless it's offset at the federal level which I would completely support. Feel free to write a check yourself to a PTA of your choosing. Reducing the state income tax 2% was the right thing to do.

Last edited by wheelsup; 10-06-2018 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 04:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Sorry, I have no interest in paying more in taxes, unless it's offset at the federal level which I would completely support. Feel free to write a check yourself to a PTA of your choosing. Reducing the state income tax 2% was the right thing to do.
I'm sure then, that you'll support sales tax on your health care bills as well. It fits in with the NC legislature's plan to reduce state income tax and shifting the burden onto the sales tax for services. Have a heart attack? Your EOB says the full amount charged was $125,000 and your insurance paid 80%. Pay sales tax on the $125,000 and the NC Legislature will be happy! That'll be your new Co-pay! Coming soon!!! ...

Old 10-07-2018, 06:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:

Conservatives are confusing creatures.

Always upset when the government skims off their income to pay for services.

But never upset when their boss skims off their income to buy another yacht.

I get why someone in the top 1% would vote that way, but there's an awful lot of people making less than 50k a year voting that way too. And those people get poorer and more desperate when taxation is shifted from income to consumption taxes.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Conservatives are confusing creatures.

Always upset when the government skims off their income to pay for services.

But never upset when their boss skims off their income to buy another yacht.

I get why someone in the top 1% would vote that way, but there's an awful lot of people making less than 50k a year voting that way too. And those people get poorer and more desperate when taxation is shifted from income to consumption taxes.
They vote that way becuse they want the government out of their lives.

I don't know many conservatives who are upset with taxes in general. Everyone realizes the government is a necessary entity. They just see the results of handing the government more money and how it grows bigger and ever far reaching

It's a philosophical difference in mentality, I would bet most Americans are weighted more conservative in ones views except for the weirdo no-abortion, religious viewpoint that has taken over that party.

My "boss" can buy all the yachts he wants. I couldn't care less. No skin off my back. Why are you so concerned about what other people earn? Maybe you should worry about yourself.

Last edited by wheelsup; 10-08-2018 at 08:36 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I'm sure then, that you'll support sales tax on your health care bills as well. It fits in with the NC legislature's plan to reduce state income tax and shifting the burden onto the sales tax for services. Have a heart attack? Your EOB says the full amount charged was $125,000 and your insurance paid 80%. Pay sales tax on the $125,000 and the NC Legislature will be happy! That'll be your new Co-pay! Coming soon!!! ...
We don't pay sales taxes on EOB claims. Go somewhere else and take your tinfoil hat collection with you.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:05 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
The previous poster said that education is not a priority in the minority community. I agree, but would like to expound on that statement. For some in the minority community, when the family comes together after work and school there are other factors going on that may be different than in a stable, suburban neighborhood.

For instance, some families that have older kids may have to play the role of mom and dad until the parents can get home from a long day at work. Most of these families aren't working the 9 to 5 like in suburbia. Some families may not have a lot of food, and even when they do, it is later in the evening when supper is ready and supper in and of itself is a huge event. I could give more examples, but high crime, unstable environments, and doing what you have to to "survive" are the priorities. The home is not suited for kids to have their own bedroom, computer, and privacy to do 2 to 3 hours of homework a night undisturbed. These are a few reasons why education is not a priority. Doesn't mean is not important, but there are more pressing issues, and as a result, these students are not prepared for classes, make lower grades, and such.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
They vote that way because they want the government out of their lives.
They vote that way because they have been told that the government can be out of their lives.

They're wrong on all counts of course and the ones telling these victims the lie know it is one.
The difference between the two groups is their education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina