Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There could be a direct Interstate between Raleigh and Norfolk/Hampton Roads, VA.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...orth_Carolina)

Quote:
I-785 is designated along Highway 29 between Greensboro and Danville, VA but I'd like to see it extend all the way to Washington DC.
Good luck with that. Virginia is not interested in new interstates and even trying to get spot improvements to US-29 done is a headache in itself. Charlottesville fought hard to get the proposed US-29 bypass killed for the time being, which infuriated Lynchburg and Danville. Charlottesville’s response was pretty much “**** off”. VDOT also doesn’t seem interested in finishing the US-29 bypass of Lynchburg anytime soon.

That’s why I never understood why NCDOT was in such a hurry to extend I-73 north of Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
The amount of Interstate type road projects in NC is mind boggling...

The State is working on plans and upgrades for I-42, I-87 and on a smaller scale (because it already meets most standards) I-587. It also has major improvements to make to I-95.

And we haven't even got to Raleigh and Charlotte. NC 74 improvements have been on the books for awhile, a few have been completed...and despite what many think may be the most important projects left to be completed. This would include the Wadesboro bypass. I say this because it links Charlotte to Wilmington's port via interstate...instead of using SC's port in Charleston for everything. It also provides direct access for Charlotte's population to the Coast...the NORTH CAROLINA coast.

And it cuts right through the heart of a significantly declining rural region that was already one of the worst areas of the state. Politics in Raleigh seem to de-prioritize this stretch (you know...all roads lead to Raleigh).

As an aside, the state of NC is rapidly growing more urban than rural. Connecting its largest cities via high speed interstate access is more and more critical to the success of the State as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina