Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,335 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm trying to decided whether to go to North Carolina and South Carolina for college. I'm originally from Massachusetts and have wanted to go south for the longest time. I just have concerns about racism because I am mixed race (black/white) and am just a little worried about living in the south. I go to North Carolina every summer because I have family down there and have been throughout the entire state and have never had any issues. I've also been to South Carolina (Charleston) once and absolutely loved it! I don't think that I'd have any problems being a college student and living in a college city but I know that living in the south is different than just visiting for a summer.

p.s. I also posted this on the South Carolina forum

Thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 11:38 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,866 times
You have nothing to worry about. Racism exists everywhere, and is no more prevalent in NC or SC than in MA, or anywhere else. Most people in NC and SC are not racists.

Since this is the NC board, information and comments about SC should be kept there.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:41 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Like sexism, it's everywhere. Your experience probably won't differ.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
I think you're confused - the current year is actually 2020, not 1920.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:55 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fam12 View Post
Hi all! I'm trying to decided whether to go to North Carolina and South Carolina for college. I'm originally from Massachusetts and have wanted to go south for the longest time. I just have concerns about racism because I am mixed race (black/white) and am just a little worried about living in the south. I go to North Carolina every summer because I have family down there and have been throughout the entire state and have never had any issues. I've also been to South Carolina (Charleston) once and absolutely loved it! I don't think that I'd have any problems being a college student and living in a college city but I know that living in the south is different than just visiting for a summer.

p.s. I also posted this on the South Carolina forum

Thank you all so much!
The counties with a college will be very progressive but also, you’ll probably find less institutional racism due to the fact there’s wayyyy more black people in the south. I always felt like Mixed people were beloved.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:23 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
My fiance and I are a mixed couple (black & white), and we have no noteworthy issues with racism here.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:43 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
why ask this when youve been here quite a bit

Old 03-30-2020, 02:45 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Anyone treating you in a racist’s manner (and I doubt that will happen) is not worth caring about. I taught school near one of our large military bases. Lots of "mixed race" students. No one ever raised an eyebrow.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:53 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
I've seen more racism and segregation in Massachusetts than I've seen in the Carolinas. Just being honest...

Old 03-30-2020, 05:49 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I've seen more racism and segregation in Massachusetts than I've seen in the Carolinas. Just being honest...
I grew up in Northern Michigan and agree. Less diversity and more racism in so many small towns up there then I've ever experienced in the south. Even the small podunk towns.

It's a common misconception about the south, OP. Racism is everywhere of course but it's not still the civil rights era in the south as many people unfortunately think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina