Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are looking to move to NC in the next five years (possibly buying land there this summer?)

We have a large family (6, but two will be gone if we move at year 5) and possibly in-laws.

I work in medicine and need to stay working. I am willing to commute up to 45 minutes to a hospital.

We want to be on the water. I don't mind a river as long as we can swim.

We prefer being near somewhere with coffee house, restaurant, and at least one grocery store.

I have found a ton of adorable towns on the rivers, love the beach towns, but am worried about getting to an area that health care workers commute to/from. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 01:24 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtcshel View Post
We want to be on the water. I don't mind a river as long as we can swim.

We prefer being near somewhere with coffee house, restaurant, and at least one grocery store.

How large of a town or city are you looking for? Wilmington and its suburbs would certainly have medical jobs, butr Wilmington is over 110,000 population.

OTOH, some of the smaller towns have been unable to keep a hospital open.

In the middle is Jacksonville and its suburbs. J'ville has 70,000, and will have jobs since the Marines are there.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:31 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,248,906 times
I'm a bit confused by the "worried about getting to an area that health workers commute to/from". Can you clarify what that means?

Towns on a river will be much less expensive than those on the coast. Little Washington is 30 minutes or so from Greenville hospital, and has the amenities you mention. LW has its own small hospital.

New Bern and Carteret Co both have hospitals, though of lesser quality than Greenville. Carteret County - Beaufort, Morehead City, Atlantic Beach - would all be much more expensive than Washington.

Wilmington has a good hospital, but the area would definitely be the most expensive since it's on the coast.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,365,644 times
Look around Greenville. Good medical care there and close to water.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:17 PM

327 posts, read 604,863 times
Greenville is the medical hub in eastern NC. Vidant Medical Center is the largest hospital in the region affiliated with East Carolina University School of Medicine. If you need to be on the water, the Pamlico River in Washington is where you want to be. It's about a 25-30 min commute to the medical district in Greenville. I know several doctors who live on the water in Washington and work in Greenville. New Bern has a lot more waterfront property and is an option, but you're looking at about a 45-min-1 hr commute to Greenville. There's probably quite a few medical jobs in Wilmington due to the size of the city, but not anywhere close to the level of Greenville.

Last edited by Vorpal; 06-17-2020 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 06:28 PM

628 posts, read 401,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Greenville is the medical hub in eastern NC. Vidant Medical Center is the largest hospital in the region affiliated with East Carolina University School of Medicine. If you need to be on the water, the Pamlico River in Washington is where you want to be. It's about a 25-30 min commute to the medical district in Greenville. I know several doctors who live on the water in Washington and work in Greenville. There's probably quite a few medical jobs in Wilmington due to the size of the city, but not anywhere close to the level of Greenville.
I'm not sure thats true. Vidant isn't that much bigger than NHRMC...900 beds versus 800 beds.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:38 PM

327 posts, read 604,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
I'm not sure thats true. Vidant isn't that much bigger than NHRMC...900 beds versus 800 beds.
Yes, I guess if you're just comparing hospitals, they're of similar size. Lower level jobs such as nursing, MRI Tech, Clerical and related fields would be comparable. I guess to answer the question more precisely is to find out the OP's specific job. There's more specialty care in Greenville. If the OP is a doctor, definitely Greenville will offer more career opportunities.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:43 PM

628 posts, read 401,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Yes, I guess if you're just comparing hospitals, they're of similar size. Nursing jobs and related fields would be comparable. I guess to answer the question more precisely is to find out the OP's specific job. There's more specialty care in Greenville. If the OP is a doctor, definitely Greenville will offer more career opportunities.
I'm not sure thats true either.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:52 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times
Wilmington, Greenville, New Bern...in that order for medical jobs.

Smaller areas would be Morehead City (county owned), Washington (Vidant network), and Brunswick County (Novant)

I have not heard good things from medical professionals in Jacksonville or Elizabeth City. And Vidant has a network of smaller hospitals, but most of them are rural poorer areas.

Vidant (Greenville) used to have a relocation program. They are restructuring a bit and hoping to have a new Med school facility with ECU in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina