Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,461 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I have spent the better part of the day reading postings from the NC and SC forums. All in all, the comments and suggestions were helpful, informative and thought-provoking.

I am currently researching relocating to either state and need referral information, sharing of personal experiences and feedback. I am hoping to move in the next 3-5 years (or sooner if things move quicker than I expect). Here are some of the things that I need your input on:

1) I am a single mom of two “special needs children” ages 10 and 7 who is in search of excellent mental health services within a specific county. Can you suggest some agencies by county?

2) I have an advanced degree and work for a local municipality in the Greater Cincinnati Area. I am a cartographer by training and have a “knack” for survey design, data analysis and demographic plotting. My current volunteer project is working with a faith-based mega church on their 3-year survey with follow-up focus group analysis. (Yes; I’m nerdy, but it’s cheaper than therapy and it’s helping someone else out!) Can you suggest some companies/industries that can use someone with my unique skill set?

3) Starting over financially has put a serious hurting on my financial status, so what housing options are available to those with less-than perfect credit who may not qualify for a mortgage and need more space than a typical apartment-style living?

4) What support groups are in the your area that are already established and helping
- Mother’s of special needs children
- Domestic violence recovery
- Life after divorce
- Other (open to hearing your suggestions)

5) Will you list special education options by county and school if available? My 7-year old is currently not in a special-ed class, but both children have severe PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) which makes socializing difficult for them.

5) Last but not least, please share your ideas for the best places to visit with kids for short-term weekend trips.

Starting over is scary enough, but I am confident that both my children and I will be successful.

Thanks in advance for your informative honest comments.
Ready for new Life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleandiaye View Post
Hello:

I have spent the better part of the day reading postings from the NC and SC forums. All in all, the comments and suggestions were helpful, informative and thought-provoking.

I am currently researching relocating to either state and need referral information, sharing of personal experiences and feedback. I am hoping to move in the next 3-5 years (or sooner if things move quicker than I expect). Here are some of the things that I need your input on:

1) I am a single mom of two “special needs children” ages 10 and 7 who is in search of excellent mental health services within a specific county. Can you suggest some agencies by county?

2) I have an advanced degree and work for a local municipality in the Greater Cincinnati Area. I am a cartographer by training and have a “knack” for survey design, data analysis and demographic plotting. My current volunteer project is working with a faith-based mega church on their 3-year survey with follow-up focus group analysis. (Yes; I’m nerdy, but it’s cheaper than therapy and it’s helping someone else out!) Can you suggest some companies/industries that can use someone with my unique skill set?

3) Starting over financially has put a serious hurting on my financial status, so what housing options are available to those with less-than perfect credit who may not qualify for a mortgage and need more space than a typical apartment-style living?

4) What support groups are in the your area that are already established and helping
- Mother’s of special needs children
- Domestic violence recovery
- Life after divorce
- Other (open to hearing your suggestions)

5) Will you list special education options by county and school if available? My 7-year old is currently not in a special-ed class, but both children have severe PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) which makes socializing difficult for them.

5) Last but not least, please share your ideas for the best places to visit with kids for short-term weekend trips.

Starting over is scary enough, but I am confident that both my children and I will be successful.

Thanks in advance for your informative honest comments.
Ready for new Life!
Hi there Double Not to rain on your parade honey, but 3 to 5 years is a LONG time to plan. The landscape of this city is constantly changing. It will look a lot different next year, much less 3 years from now! Plus, by that time aren't your kids likely to be settled in their current situations so comfortably that moving them to a whole new environment would be a new hardship for them to bear? By that time they will be adolecents - a rough age to move children without special needs, much less those with them.

I am not trying to sound discouraging, but in my very humble opinion three years is just too long to try to plan to move to this area. By then you may not even be able to afford to live here I'm afraid. If you think you can come soon (within the next year) there would be better info for you on this forum. Let us know if that can happen. Best of luck to you

Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Five years is a VERY long time to plan, given the booming real estate market in the most desirable parts of the Carolinas. In Asheville, where I purchased, the values have DOUBLED in five years! Just since I bought a year ago some properties I looked at had sold and resold for $50,000 - $100,000 more! I am sure the same is true of many other areas, so I do agree with the above poster that that 3-5 years is much too long to wait if you want to come to this area.

Good luck, and maybe you can implement your changes a lot quicker - you'd be amazed what you can accomplish if you are really motivated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: