Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM

161 posts, read 515,538 times

Advertisements

You will not earn as much salary here as in NJ, unless you are a new teacher...then the transition will not be too bad. I am a teacher here from Ohio. Western Carolina "Isothermal Belt" is the best area. You'll get the 4 seasons BUT none are harsh like up north. Winters aren't bad. Little snow...but melts quickly. Fall is beautiful here!

SUmmer HAS been hot this summer but very little humidity. Spring is unbelievable here!

I live in Rutherford County.

Are you looking for a larger city or small town atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,749 times
Small but with a large town or city nearby.

How is housing out there? I have only checked the Cary and Releigh surroundings where my friend lives. How far is that from Raleigh area?

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,417 times
Default Pay In NC

Listen, if you wish to make any money as an educator, stay away from North Carolina. There is NO union representation and the state controls the pay scale...in other words the pay for a teacher in Charlotte-Meck school district will be the same as a teacher the Rowan-Salisbury district or the Wake County school system. The only other factor that would give you an increase in salary is the county by county supplement (some paces are higher than others, thus giving a disparity in pay throughout the state). The other horrible part of being a teacher in this state is that you only GET PAID ONLY ONCE A MONTH. I assume this is largely in part so the state leaders can rape us in taxes. By the time taxes have been taken out of each of my paychecks, I find that I can hardly afford to live. I swear, people who have families and are educators must rely upon food stamps eat and live in section 8 housing...I don't know how they live!? All I know is that once I attain my Master's Degree I'm out of here and heading back up North where they value education and respect teachers!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 18,427 times
Anybody looking for a teaching job anywhere should consult [URL="http://www.teachers-teachers.com"]www.teachers-teachers.com[/URL].. You can post an application that can be seen by employers all over the world.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 AM

33 posts, read 106,343 times
One of our agents this morning said that Arthur Edwards School in Havelock, NC are short 2 teachers. I believe the contact is the principal there. Don't have a number.

New Bern is only 15 minutes from Havelock.

I'm sure there are others.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:51 AM

161 posts, read 515,538 times
I, too, am a teacher from the north. Your pay will be less...but your cost of living (Rutherford County) will be unbelievably cheap!

Old 07-30-2008, 05:05 PM

18 posts, read 63,774 times
A salary is just a number. The true measure is the quality of life. What would you rather have.

1. A 60K salary with:
a) a decent house costing 350K-500K
b) real estate taxes in the neighborhood of 6-10K/yr
c) 3K/yr for auto insurance for 2 cars

or

2. A 45K salary with:

a) A just as nice or nicer house costing 180K-250K (many with some land, at least 1 or more acres) I know where I moved from in Long Island you'd need 7 figures for a nice house on an acre or more.
b)RE taxes in the 1500-2500 range
c) les than 1K for the same 2 cars

Don't be fooled buy the numbers. Moving here from NY is the best thing we've ever done. BTW, my wiffe's the teacher in the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina