Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM

38 posts, read 131,616 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a returning student that would be starting my junior year at Western Michigan University in the nursing program this fall but my husband's job will be moving the family from MI to NC. (I'm so happy and excited to leave the Michigan winters behind us!) Anyway, I'm starting to research NC nursing schools and a lot of the BSN programs look pretty good. My husbands job will be in Wilson, NC and we are both willing to split the difference on driving distance.

What about University of North Carolina Chapel Hill? Couldn't we split the driving distance and both live approx 45 min away from where we work/study? Or are there any other good programs in the area?

Which colleges have the best nursing programs in your opinion?

I really look forward to any help,
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM

222 posts, read 936,448 times
Options are pretty much UNC or East Carolina University in Greenville. ECU is closer to Wilson. Either school would be good as both have medical schools and are affiliated with teaching hospitals. Check their websites for info. Commuting would be easier to/from ECU, imo.

Good luck with your move to NC and with school, too.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
I have met many fine nurses from both places. I'd suggest giving both a call/email for information and see how they react toward transfer students and take your lead from that.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:22 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,525 times
First you'll need to be admitted as a transfer student. The good news is that the UNC system treats in-state and out-out state transfer students the same for admission purposes so you won't be at a disadvantage. I knew a LOT of people at UNC that got in as transfer students who were flat out rejected as freshmen so there's definitely hope. The bad news is that you'll have to pay out of state tuition. Out of state tuition at UNC Chapel Hill is about $20k/yr while ECU is about $15k/yr.

Another option for a BSN which I'm surprised no one has mentioned, although I shouldn't be because few people are familiar with Wilson, is Barton College (formerly Atlantic Christian). Barton is IN Wilson and tuition is equivalent to the out of state rate at UNC. Unlike UNC and ECU, Barton is private so there is decent chance that they'll award you some financial aid... I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for financial aid at either of the state schools.

Anyway, enjoy your visit to Wiltson. Once you hear a local pronounce the town's name you'll understand why I put the T in there.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 AM

38 posts, read 131,616 times
Smile Thank you!

I'm posting to say thanks. I'm checking out the college in Wilson now and will be sending on my transcripts to that one and both UNC-CH and ECU and see what they think before I get my heart set on one over the other.

Thanks for all the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina