Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
When my husband and I opted to leave Northern New Jersey last spring, NC was the only place we looked. It was just a matter of WHERE in NC we'd end up.

We are young (late 30s/early 40s) with two young children (2 1/2 yr old and 4 yr old). We plan on staying in Fort Mill, SC until we die. It was SO DANG EXPENSIVE in NoNJ that we are thrilled with our new area even as we know it will continue to be more expensive the longer we live here. But it will NEVER be as expensive as what we experienced in NoNJ.

Another point - what happens when the Baby Boomers begin dying? My own parents are in their early 60s and I presume in 20-30 years they'll be in the ground. If the projected "NC will be just like FL" happens in 20-30 years, then what happens when the very people that started the migration to NC begin to disappear? Isn't Gen X (my generation) one of the smallest generations to occur in a long time (or was it Gen Y? I'll have to go look that up). All of a sudden we'll have all this growth - and no one to "enjoy" it.

Baby Boomers are driving the migration patterns - but what happens when they are gone?
Thats easy,,,,The illegal imgrants will step into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,118 times
Default What do you think of Floridians?

My husband and I were looking to move from Florida to NC, but decided to go to Louisiana instead. I have heard all good about North Carolina, but I also heard a bit bad. I heard it is getting just like Florida and the people of NC are kinda getting upset by the influx of Floridiana going there and I do not blame them! People from Florida have no sense of care or community at all. They are from so many different backgrounds and ethnic groups that they seem to hate each other! This can be seen on the highways and roads especially! Rude drivers everywhere! WE have out share here in Louisiana, but all in all, the people are very nice here. Also, how is the illegals situation in NC?

Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
My husband and I were looking to move from Florida to NC, but decided to go to Louisiana instead. I have heard all good about North Carolina, but I also heard a bit bad. I heard it is getting just like Florida and the people of NC are kinda getting upset by the influx of Floridiana going there and I do not blame them! People from Florida have no sense of care or community at all. They are from so many different backgrounds and ethnic groups that they seem to hate each other! This can be seen on the highways and roads especially! Rude drivers everywhere! WE have out share here in Louisiana, but all in all, the people are very nice here. Also, how is the illegals situation in NC?
Well, to each his own. And as anyone who knows me knows, I love Louisiana - my birthplace. But you cannot begin to compare Louisiana and North Carolina in terms of quality of life. Everything but good food, from education, healthcare, income potential, clean air, clean water, weather -is all incredibly better in NC. Best of luck to you there, I sincerely hope you don't have children in the public schools in La. Whatever bad you heard about NC I can promise you it is not as bad as what I know about life in Louisiana - and it kills me to have to say that as the people there are some of the most awesome in the world.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:47 PM

198 posts, read 910,462 times
Good points in the last two posts. I think what means the most when one decides to find a new environment is who and what is going on in their life and what their needs are. For some a small town will not due and for others a city won't. I like being in a small town for vacation and for periods of rest but living in one is totally different (now a small suburb of a larger area close by is another thing). Many people leave small town life to venture out and see the world. Sometimes opportunities are not present in small town life depending on the work you do. As of yet, where I am in the midwest, many small towns (Indiana) have fallen victim to drugs and a host of other problems (as in meth production= country) and it is more safer in the cities or suburban areas. I dont think as an adult I'd move anyplace looking for a television show type town. That was tv. You can find a Mayberry town in any state if you go out far enough. People need to re-avaluate what they are looking for but realize that realistically with the way man is continuously ruining society, there are ills everywhere. Growing up I much rather would hang out with the kids who had 'wordly' experience, were well traveled and were used to being in diverse settings as opposed to small town folks who often produced kids that had a one sided view about things, were taught or openly exposed to racism, and couldnt appreciate the differences embraced outside of their small world. Being schooled in this state in a suburabn area I attended school with many country kids who until college they had never been anywhere. They wound up resenting that also and it affected their interactions with people. There are negatives and advantages to each. The real deal is what one is looking for, is it realistic and can you find it where you are? I realize that when I move to NC (due to job) I am not going to run into anything different but the same things I basically have here but with a different address and new people. It's still a city, they have libraries, they have different landmarks, there are subdivisions galore like where I am now...it is no different...just geographically. My expectations are from my employment, but where I am isn't changing me as a person. It's making me happier since geographically I will experience things I no longe have to (harsh winters). I dont mean to offend but I have read many posts on other boards where people just openly bash NC and each city that goes to a boom while a core population follows to the next hot spot. Once people go somewhere and others talk its going to happen each time. I was born in Nebraska. I am waiting for CNN Best Places to say Iowa, Wyoming and South Dakota so these people can go nuts again. What are they looking for?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Caa

Default La vs NC

Hello all,
I love Louisiana, and the fact is, Baton Rouge is probable the least poverty striken and I honestly would not live in any other town here! Maybe Shreveport. But you have to admit(loves mountains) that this is not that bad a state! WE only chose La over Nc because we kept hearing about all the illegals there and how crowded it was going to get. Louisiana is crowded, but not as bad at the states on the east area. I do have a child, but she is on private school thank goodness!! That is one thing La is seriously lacking is good public education, but then again, what states in the south have great public schools?? I know Florida is not in the top list for great schools either, I have no ides about NC. I just wish people would stop bad mouthing La. I knwo that most people who don't like it think it is all like New Orleans, full of poverty and crime. It isn't, just look at the bayous and change of season here. (well, coming from Florida, we consider La having a change of seasons)!There are also tons of activities and festivals for families, one thing I hated about Florida, the lack of family things! Anyway, we like Baton Rouge and hope you are happy too!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
fla has a lack of family things???................ interesting.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Caa

Default florida lack of family things-yes!

I was talking about south Florida, mainly Ft. Myers. There was one place for kids and it closed down. Now they have Gymboree-wheee! We left due to lack of child friendly things to do. Here In Baton Rouge, there must be 10 indoor inflatable play places, 15 BREC parks and a festival that has childrens' villages. We were lucky to get 3 festivals per years in FT Myers. It was very un-child friendly. other than that, the place was pretty ok, except for all the illegals flooding into the area!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 AM

7 posts, read 63,991 times
Many of the coastal areas in North Eastern NC are deemed National Seashore and cannot be developed...Ever. I know, I lived there. Don't give up on us Coastal Carolinians, I can't speak for the mountains but I know that there are environmental organizations at work 24/7 to keep our coasts natural.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
"except for all the illegals flooding into the area!"

welcome to america. get used to it. unfortuantely, it's only gonna get worse. if you move to western nc, you will see many of them. nothing we can really do about it.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,043 times
I'm real tired right now and will write back again about Your inspiring comment of people who move to NC. I've done my research and will be moving to Hayesville soon. My mother has had a winter cabin there since the 80's. My Father was a son of 16 brothers and sisters who grew up during the depression. His Mom arrived in Miami around 1916 up the Miami river on a river paddle boat,,which was the ONLY way to come in, With wild panthers screaming in the background. I am a 3rd generation native, I homeschool my 5 children, and for sooooo many reasons will not raise my children here. I must go. Bearing in mind that my connections with my roots will be severed.
All that you wrote I read with eagerness, because I am so aware of the wonderful spirit of the people that live there. I can only hope that my children are young enough to develop those roots now and allway feel at "home" there with their children and grandchildren... For the Original people of Miami are but gone. The Pace here IS too fast to enjoy what is truly Important in Life. I Promise, I will not bring that to NC. I do not fit here anymore. I don't come to impose my Ideals. I come to hopefully find Peace and Caring that will take a lifetime of committment and respect to the community and its charming people. Just wanted to let some of you know that all of us are not the same. But anyone who moves must realize, don't expect anything and you won't be dissapointed, When you say something that is missunderstood apologize and learn from that, sit back and take the time to truly understand the people and their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina