Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 32,979 times

Advertisements

For those of you living in the Carolinas, which, in your opinion, are the more conservative cities? In contrast, which would you say are more liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Majority of North Carolina is Conservative

Chapel Hill is liberal probably due to the University and state employees living there.
Gay couples can register to get legal benefits

Asheville Liberal core with conservatives on the outskirts
mecca for new age movements
large gay community
vibrant in crafts and arts
Asheville also a hollistic view type movement as well

Charlotte moderate leaning conservatism
Strong Baptist following
Tens to be more pro captialism.

Triad Conservative but Winston more liberal and High Point more conservative while Im up in the air about Greensboro.

Larger cities especially near the core you will find more liberal or moderate views vs Conservative views you will find out in the suburban areas.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Asheville, Chapel Hill, Carrboro would be the more liberal towns.

Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Wilmington (?) would be more moderate/slightly right of center.

Everywhere else is pretty conservative.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:38 PM

46 posts, read 210,070 times
^^ I would omit Durham from your "moderate/slightly right of center" list. Durham votes for Democrats for president. It hosts the annual NC Gay Pride festival and NC Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. It's liberal, especially in the core neighborhoods.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
^This is true, although one reason why Durham is so Democratic is due to the relatively large Black population. But point taken.

Since the question was about both Carolinas, to bring SC into the mix, Columbia is the closest to liberal you'll get in SC. It's pretty much the "epicenter" of gay culture in SC so to speak (has the first gay and lesbian community center in the Carolinas) and Richland County, home to Columbia, is one of the bluest counties in the state. Charleston would next on the liberal index (the majority of the city's residents voted against the referendum on banning gay marriage in the state), and Greenville is more right of center than the other two. Everywhere else is pretty conservative.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Liberal: Chapel Hill, Durham, Asheville, Columbia, Charleston
Moderate: Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Greensboro
Every else is most definitely conservative with the mountains being Rush Limbaugh's grandfather (an extreme exaggeration on my behalf. Nothing against Rush).

Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 AM

126 posts, read 579,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny94 View Post
^^ I would omit Durham from your "moderate/slightly right of center" list. Durham votes for Democrats for president. It hosts the annual NC Gay Pride festival and NC Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. It's liberal, especially in the core neighborhoods.
I'd do the same with Charlotte. Meck Cty votes Democrat and there are almost no natives left in Charlotte. The city is made up of people from Pennsylvania, New England, and California...

Step outside of Mecklenberg County into the rural areas and most folks are conservatives.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhen View Post
I'd do the same with Charlotte. Meck Cty votes Democrat and there are almost no natives left in Charlotte. The city is made up of people from Pennsylvania, New England, and California...

Step outside of Mecklenberg County into the rural areas and most folks are conservatives.
I couldn't agree with you more. I think some are stuck in certain traditions. The reason I believe Charlotte doesn't progress as fast as other areas nationwide. But I might be too critical.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. I think some are stuck in certain traditions. The reason I believe Charlotte doesn't progress as fast as other areas nationwide. But I might be too critical.
If people think Charlotte has not progress has a living in box mentality. How has Charlotte not progressed?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 AM

75 posts, read 218,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If people think Charlotte has not progress has a living in box mentality. How has Charlotte not progressed?

I agree. I consider Charlotte to be progressing at a rather nice clip.

I guess they mean in the sense of liberalism. There is a huge difference in voting democrat and being a liberal city. Most voting democrats(especially in the black populations) are actually rather conservative socially.

In my eyes a progressive city does not always have to equate to becoming more liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina