Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times

Advertisements

I think your neighborhood sounds great!! But as your name states, you are in "Small Town USA" and unfortunately in cities with a larger number of people comes the larger problem of people who don't necessarily share a sense of "pride in community." Thus, HOAs are necessary. Again, if rules are reasonable I think it is a win-win for all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I think your neighborhood sounds great!! But as your name states, you are in "Small Town USA" and unfortunately in cities with a larger number of people comes the larger problem of people who don't necessarily share a sense of "pride in community." Thus, HOAs are necessary. Again, if rules are reasonable I think it is a win-win for all involved.
I will give you that kmway, and be the shoe on the other foot and I had to deal with the urinating dog puddles? I may be crowned "Queen of the HOAs" and proudly summon the afore mentioned to my court for a proper "How good neighbors are SUPPOSE to act" lesson.
Peace!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM

549 posts, read 2,385,065 times
No I would not, but can understand why some subdivisions have very strict HOA's.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 AM

310 posts, read 1,715,473 times
I agree with KMWAY on this.
I used to be a HOA member until I moved here. We didn't have those strict rules as most of people here claim. I think many people just exaggerate and make-up those rules.

HOA should be, and in most case is, reasonable. We had few problems of people parking on grass, painting their house purple, and putting dog cannels on front yard. We solved all those problems, because we have a HAO.

People who claim that the HOA board always go overboard and add more restriction is not true. Any board is bound by the covenants and bylaws. If they want to add or change anything, they must get approval of 2/3 of owner’s votes. Also, it requires legal proceeding. It is not that easy as some here makes look like.

HOA can provide many services not just putting rules and restrictions. Our HOA pays for maintaining the common area, landscaping the entrance of the subdivision and make it attractive. Pays water bills for water the grass, pays electricity bills to keep the are well lit at night.

With all the above services and upkeep, or subdivision apprecaite more the the surround areas.

All or our board member are volunteers, and we manage everything ourselves, so we can save the management fees and keep the dues low.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:21 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,586 times
I personally prefer to live in a non-HOA neighborhood. I do not perspire over petty issues and I like purple. The Town of Cary ordinances are sufficient for me. If there was ever a major issue that could not be resolved in person then I would take it to the courts.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 PM

88 posts, read 401,969 times
We just moved from a HOA neighborhood and have no complaints. We're also moving into a HOA neighborhood, so we'll see if we like it as much as the other. I have no negative experiences with them to date. I'd like to keep that record.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:56 PM

76 posts, read 265,262 times
I lived in CT my whole life, and in an affluent town (Tolland) for the last 15 years before relocating to Raleigh. In Tolland, we had neighbors a few doors down who parked a broken down bus in their FRONT yard, ad used it to store very visible crap in. That would not have happened with a HOA. Individualism is one thing, but HOA's really exist to make sure morons like those people are stopped from killing everyone's property value aroundf them.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard_bss View Post
I lived in CT my whole life, and in an affluent town (Tolland) for the last 15 years before relocating to Raleigh. In Tolland, we had neighbors a few doors down who parked a broken down bus in their FRONT yard, ad used it to store very visible crap in. That would not have happened with a HOA. Individualism is one thing, but HOA's really exist to make sure morons like those people are stopped from killing everyone's property value aroundf them.
That sums it up in a nutshell and so true.I have a neighbor who wants to desperatly have them aprove an above ground pool for the kiddies, all in a community that it does not belong in. Plus shes the one who leaves garbage cans visable right in her driveway, a HOA no no but she's testing the waters on that. Some love to create the chaos to see how far they'd go with making them adhere to the rules to begin with.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
I agree with KMWAY on this.
I used to be a HOA member until I moved here. We didn't have those strict rules as most of people here claim. I think many people just exaggerate and make-up those rules.

People who claim that the HOA board always go overboard and add more restriction is not true. Any board is bound by the covenants and bylaws. If they want to add or change anything, they must get approval of 2/3 of owner’s votes. Also, it requires legal proceeding. It is not that easy as some here makes look like.
I have worked for a property management company in upstate NY and that 2/3 vote means nothing. Just because you vote does not mean the board will actually care. We managed 4 condo HOA. Who made up the board? The old miserable retirees who did NOTHING but spy on their neighbors. I stopped taking calls and sent them all to voicemail because they NAGGED so much. It was AWFUL.

I moved a condo once in my life - NEVER EVER again! I had never heard of an HOA and wasn't told about it when I moved in. I got a letter every week complaining about something I did. I sneezed too loudly and I got a letter. I had company over and they parked on the wrong side of the street - it wasn't even marked where to park! Few days later and yuppers another letter. I was making a nice wallpaper collection. A few months later, I found out who my neighbors were....the board pres on one side and board member 2 doors down. I couldn't cook on my grill without someone chewing me out. It as FAR FAR worse than living at home! My parents had fewer restrictions and I lived there for FREE.

You could give me a house for free and I would turn it down without batting an eyelash if there was an HOA. I'd run screaming the other direction.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 11,249 times
Default bought home w/ no HOA...now there is one! How does this happen?

Simply put, I don't like HOA's so when I bought my investment properties in Charlotte, I made sure there was no HOA.

This was in 2006. Now an HOA just came out of nowhere since 9/07. Never sent me letters/notice/voting... so basically I did not agree to this.

They send me a bill with over $200 late fees...because they "couldn't get ahold of my mailing address". That's how I found out they exist. They have a website with bylaws etc... so they seem legit.

But how can one person - like myself...be forced to abide by this HOA when I never consented??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina