Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 17,464 times

Advertisements

I don't really know anything about North Carolina schools. I am a teacher considering North Carolina as a possibility. I am considering both Wake County Public Schools and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public Schools. What can you tell me about these two school systems? Which is considered to be better? Also, if I relocated, what city would be a good place to live? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 PM

14 posts, read 55,558 times
I am a teacher in Wake County, and to be honest, the school system isn't as good as they make it out to be. First of all, if you are coming from the North or Midwest, be prepared to work without a union. I know unions have their pros and cons, but in NC, you are at the mercy of the school district. Second, the overcrowding in Wake County will continue to rise dramatically over the next 5-10 years. This means you will have 30-35 kids in your classroom, depending what subject(s) you will teach. I went from having 21 (avg.) last year to 33 (avg.) this year for 6th grade Social Studies. Third, you have kids being bussed all over Wake County, due to "socio-economic" levels. I personally do not agree with transporting students 1 to 1.5 hours away from their home to go to school, just because they live in the "ghetto." At my school, nearly 90% of all the incidents are committed by the students who are transported from other parts of Raleigh. Finally, the pay isn't worth it here. I wanted to coach and do extracurricular activities, but after I found out that I would get roughly $500 for doing track and field after taxes, I stopped looking. I don't know what Charlotte-Mecklenburg is like. Wish I could help you there. Hope this has informed you.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 PM

15 posts, read 59,819 times
nycgooner...I'm trying to make the tranfer to teach in Wake now. Guess I had all those issues where I am at, so it wouldn't be much different. The biggest challenge I think I forsee is the near 20K paycut. Is it difficult to make ends meet on the salary?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM

9 posts, read 25,605 times
Default Raleigh vs. Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC13 View Post
I don't really know anything about North Carolina schools. I am a teacher considering North Carolina as a possibility. I am considering both Wake County Public Schools and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public Schools. What can you tell me about these two school systems? Which is considered to be better? Also, if I relocated, what city would be a good place to live? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Google Wake Cares, Keep Local Schools, and Take Our Local Schools Back.org. After you read all these, you will be able to make an informed decision. Personally, I would go to one of the surburbs outside Charlotte, such as Mint Hill, Matthews, etc.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybunch View Post
nycgooner...I'm trying to make the tranfer to teach in Wake now. Guess I had all those issues where I am at, so it wouldn't be much different. The biggest challenge I think I forsee is the near 20K paycut. Is it difficult to make ends meet on the salary?
I work in the Charlotte area (not CMS), but all NC salaries are with-in $3000 of each other. I find it hard to make ends meet. I get $31,750 a year, payed in 10 checks (so no pay over the summer). I bring home almost $2000 even a month. Housing is high. I pay $775 for a 1 bedroom apartment. Then, when you factor in $300 for my car, $50 insurance, $100 utilities, $60 cable, $75 phones, $200 student loans, $300 gas (35 mile commute each way in an SUV that I was leasing prior to the move), I have spent roughly $1875 and have not eaten yet.... And I am having difficulty finding a retail job for summer (and now, to help save for summer).

Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post
Google Wake Cares, Keep Local Schools, and Take Our Local Schools Back.org. After you read all these, you will be able to make an informed decision. Personally, I would go to one of the surburbs outside Charlotte, such as Mint Hill, Matthews, etc.
Charlotte, Mint Hill & Matthews...are ALL the same school district....Charlotte-Mecklenburg!

Mooresville, NC (city schools only) & Fort Mill, SC schools are TOPS in the metro Charlotte area.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 41,143 times
Hello there, My family may be moving to NC from Australia next summer. I am currently doing loads of searches for areas etc. As schools are my number one priority i am searching those first and then the neighbourhoods. I had narrowed it down to Wake County, however would appreciate any views you might have regards the schools. I am totally against corperal punishment (something i didn't realise still existed) and saw that Wake is also. i also liked the look of some of the Catholic schools, as we are currently in the Catholic system over here. I am not against the idea of public schools as I am aware of the fact that the facilities of many appear up there with the non-public schools. Are the Private schools worth their tuitions? My daughters are 7 and 5, I simply want them to go to a great school in a nice area. Also coming from the other side of the world, i am very much coming to grips with the education system, so any input is very much appreciated.
thanks for your time in advance.
Michelle

Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgooner View Post
Third, you have kids being bussed all over Wake County, due to "socio-economic" levels. I personally do not agree with transporting students 1 to 1.5 hours away from their home to go to school, just because they live in the "ghetto." At my school, nearly 90% of all the incidents are committed by the students who are transported from other parts of Raleigh.
Why don't you just come out and say what you really mean?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrah View Post
Mint Hill and Matthews are still CMS. You'd need to go to another county to get away from the problems of CMS but the competition for jobs in Cabarrus, Union, et al is stiff.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgooner View Post
I am a teacher in Wake County, and to be honest, the school system isn't as good as they make it out to be. First of all, if you are coming from the North or Midwest, be prepared to work without a union. I know unions have their pros and cons, but in NC, you are at the mercy of the school district. Second, the overcrowding in Wake County will continue to rise dramatically over the next 5-10 years. This means you will have 30-35 kids in your classroom, depending what subject(s) you will teach. I went from having 21 (avg.) last year to 33 (avg.) this year for 6th grade Social Studies. Third, you have kids being bussed all over Wake County, due to "socio-economic" levels. I personally do not agree with transporting students 1 to 1.5 hours away from their home to go to school, just because they live in the "ghetto." At my school, nearly 90% of all the incidents are committed by the students who are transported from other parts of Raleigh. Finally, the pay isn't worth it here. I wanted to coach and do extracurricular activities, but after I found out that I would get roughly $500 for doing track and field after taxes, I stopped looking. I don't know what Charlotte-Mecklenburg is like. Wish I could help you there. Hope this has informed you.

Wow. I wish I could get your name to have you fired!! Such blatant bigotry, with absolutely no empathy for children with no choice but to live in a hostile environment. Wow. It's teachers like you who help carry on the tradition of institutionalized bigotry. You should know for fact that a child living in unstable conditions tends to lash out. You should know this. Shame....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina