Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 AM

8 posts, read 6,104 times

Advertisements

What NA tribes are native to NC and what is the NA population like there? Are there any areas of the state where their numbers are higher? Any educated guesses? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres.Punkin.10.31.54 View Post
What NA tribes are native to NC and what is the NA population like there? Are there any areas of the state where their numbers are higher? Any educated guesses? Thank you.
There were 99,541 American Indians located in the state of North Carolina
The Eastern Band of Cherokee tribe, has the largest federally recognized tribe in the Cherokee reservation.
There are eight (8) state-recognized tribes located in North Carolina.
The Lumbee tribe, Coharie Tribe, Haliwa Saponi Indian Tribe , Meherrin Indian Tribe ,
Waccamaw Siouan Tribe, Occaneechi Band of Saponi Nation, Sappony

Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, American Indians make up around 1.3% of NC's total population. I pretty sure the only tribe located within NC that is recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs is the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.

Distribution within the state - http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Popu...s/popfg20L.gif

Last edited by mm34b; 11-23-2008 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
There were 99,541 American Indians located in the state of North Carolina
The Eastern Band of Cherokee tribe, has the largest federally recognized tribe in the Cherokee reservation.
There are eight (8) state-recognized tribes located in North Carolina.
The Lumbee tribe, Coharie Tribe, Haliwa Saponi Indian Tribe , Meherrin Indian Tribe ,
Waccamaw Siouan Tribe, Occaneechi Band of Saponi Nation, Sappony
Awesome! Just what I was looking for. Thank you!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, American Indians make up around 1.3% of NC's total population. I pretty sure the only tribe located within NC that is recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs is the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.

Distribution within the state - http://www.ncatlasrevisited.org/Popu...s/popfg20L.gif
Thank you for your help and the link.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
IM not sure if you are looking just for statistics or learning more about there culture but their is 3 great outdoor drama's in this state I have been to one the other's I miss due to off season but I want to see.
Unto These Hills - a Dramatic Retelling of Cherokee History | Performance in Cherokee, NC
I have seen this one and it is great
The two I want to see is
The Lost of Colony - Show Introduction
and
Horn in the West

Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
And everytime we go to Cherokee we stop at Harrah's and make a donation to the tribe!! Then we cruise on down to the reservation shops and pig out on to die for fudge at the Heavenly Fudge Shop! I love the Cherokee Reservation!

Wheres.Punkin.10.31.54 ... nothing to do with statics I know but it's an awesome place to visit ... especially in the spring or fall ... very beautiful part of NC.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,496 times
You'll see more Native Americans in the mountains, due to the proximity to the Cherokee Reservation. Robeson, Hoke, Cumberland, & Sampson counties are home to large numbers of the Lumbee & Coharie tribs.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
Lumbees have been trying for years to get Federal recognition as a tribe. They are probably the second largest concentration in NC after the Cherokee. They are mainly located in Robeson County (southeastern NC) and surrounding counties. Here is a link to the NC Commission of Indian Affairs, an office within the NC Department of Administration. They have an online list of all tribes and organizations in NC.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Lumbees have been trying for years to get Federal recognition as a tribe. They are probably the second largest concentration in NC after the Cherokee. They are mainly located in Robeson County (southeastern NC) and surrounding counties. Here is a link to the NC Commission of Indian Affairs, an office within the NC Department of Administration. They have an online list of all tribes and organizations in NC.
I lived in Robeson County for a number of years and seem to remember that the sticking point with federal recognition of the Lumbees as a specific tribe was their inability to provide a verifiable history. Lots of speculation by historians, anthropologists and genealogist, but their origin is still considered unknown by the scientific community.

Currently, there's a bill before the Congress that would bypass the Department of the Interior's tribal recognition requirements (25 C.F.R. Part 83.7).

Lumbee Recognition Act of 2007 - Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Last edited by mm34b; 11-25-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina