Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,125 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify all this nonsense talk that has been going on about vaccines. You most certainly can send your children to public school with no vaccines. There is a personal choice waiver which allows you to reject vaccines for your child on the basis of religious or personal belief, and no you do not have to show religious affiliation. There are very few states that actually require it by law with no out. Check the state laws it is very clear and you can dowload the vaccine rejection form on line.
I get tired of peopl throwing around there opinion or something they heard as fact. I have been reasearching this info for 2 years and the reality is we are run by drug companies, the increase in number of vaccines and "reason" for vaccines has climbed ridiculously in the past 20 years. Few examples of needless vaccination practices hep b at infancy: this is basically impossible for a child to contract unless the mother is positive, Chickenpox: seriously, we all had it, Polio: the last live case of polio in the us was 1979 the only ones since then have been vaccine induced cases. I can go on and on but I can just refer you to very reliable sources of info instead if anyone would like.

I know a bunch of docs in A'ville but not hickory

Old 02-01-2009, 08:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Just to clarify all this nonsense talk that has been going on about vaccines. You most certainly can send your children to public school with no vaccines. There is a personal choice waiver which allows you to reject vaccines for your child on the basis of religious or personal belief, and no you do not have to show religious affiliation. There are very few states that actually require it by law with no out. Check the state laws it is very clear and you can dowload the vaccine rejection form on line.
I get tired of peopl throwing around there opinion or something they heard as fact. I have been reasearching this info for 2 years and the reality is we are run by drug companies, the increase in number of vaccines and "reason" for vaccines has climbed ridiculously in the past 20 years. Few examples of needless vaccination practices hep b at infancy: this is basically impossible for a child to contract unless the mother is positive, Chickenpox: seriously, we all had it, Polio: the last live case of polio in the us was 1979 the only ones since then have been vaccine induced cases. I can go on and on but I can just refer you to very reliable sources of info instead if anyone would like.

I know a bunch of docs in A'ville but not hickory
Well, ORGANICK . . . so glad you have it all figured out.

Any school system can deny your child entrance if they so desire. Those waivers are not so easy to come by in some school districts. And there is a movement across this country to make it ILLEGAL (yes, I meant ILLEGAL) for you to pass on vaccinations. I am very much in favor of that law for basic childhood vaccinations. I agree - Gardasil is suspect. Perhaps it is very effective but we have not seen longterm studies on it yet. And I fear it gives people a false sense of security.

You can rationalize it any way you want. The reason there have been few cases of any of these childhood diseases is b/c the general population is vaccinated.

But oh well. It is really TB we all need to be worried about, seeing as how that is actually our fastest growing public health concern at this time. If your kids get deathly ill as adults (even if they make it through childhood okay) - you can try your rationales out on them and see if they understand why you decided to go against public policy and skip their vaccinations.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 PM

There is real reason for the general public to be concerned about parents who are not vaccinating their children.

This past year the United States witnessed a measles epidemic that was the largest in more than a decade. About 135 people, mostly children, were infected with measles; some of those children were hospitalized with severe dehydration and others with pneumonia caused by the virus.

Why did this happen? The answer can be found in a study published in December 2008 in the American Journal of Epidemiology that received little attention from the media. The authors, epidemiologists from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, examined school children in Michigan whose parents had chosen not to vaccinate them. They compared clusters of unvaccinated children with clusters of documented whooping cough (pertussis) outbreaks. Not surprisingly, the clusters overlapped. The authors concluded: "Geographic pockets of vaccine exemptors pose a risk to the whole community."

This is exactly what had happened during the measles epidemic in 2008. Almost all of the children who caught and transmitted measles were unvaccinated. The authors of this study had provided an insight into the obvious. If parents choose not to vaccinate their children, not only do they put their own children at risk, they put others at risk. Because no vaccine is 100 percent effective, some vaccinated children can still get pertussis. Others at even greater risk include children who haven't completed the entire series of pertussis vaccines or those who can't get vaccines because they are receiving steroids for asthma or chemotherapy for cancer.

The findings of the Hopkins researchers would have been somewhat more tolerable if the choice not to vaccinate was because of legitimate problems with vaccines. But the reason that some parents are choosing not to vaccinate their children is based on the mistaken notion that vaccines cause autism; or that vaccines cause diabetes or multiple sclerosis or asthma or allergies; or that vaccines weaken or overwhelm the immune system; or that vaccines have not been adequately tested. Many studies have addressed these concerns and should have reassured parents. But there appears to be a rift between studies that exonerate vaccines and the public's knowledge of those studies.

This latest study is not the first piece of evidence that a choice not to vaccinate is not a risk-free choice. In 2005, a 17-year old unvaccinated girl visited Romania, caught measles, returned to her home in Indiana, and proceeded to infect at least 34 more people, most of whom were also unvaccinated.

These outbreaks have not, apparently, been sobering. If anything, the number of parents choosing to delay or withhold or separate vaccines is increasing. So what will it take? Certainly, as more and more children contract measles and pertussis, deaths from these diseases will follow. And it's not a leap to believe that we could see other deadly diseases, like polio and diphtheria; both of which still occur commonly in some areas of the world; and both of which are only a plane ride away from causing outbreaks in relatively unvaccinated communities in the United States.

We can only hope that parents have not been lulled into a false sense of security by the success of vaccines -- or that our inattention to history will not cause us to relive it.

Paul A. Offit, MD is Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the author of Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure.

Paul A. Offit, MD: Don't Risk Going Unvaccinated

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 AM

In 2005, a 17-year old unvaccinated girl visited Romania, caught measles, returned to her home in Indiana, and proceeded to infect at least 34 more people, most of whom were also unvaccinated.
the use of the word most is very convient here, the cdc and AMA recieve 75% of there funding from pharmaceutical companies, thats a fact. Try finding unbiased info.

I dont remember anyone advocating sending your children to other countries around the world without them, thats a whole different situation. secondly I dont say I have it all figured out, just more facts than you, you argument is all opinion. As I said before the drug companies and the research they pay for will scare you, thats the point. The factual evidence is that many diseases were already in decline by the time the vaccines came out, the director of the medical school running trials for the polio vaccine has since addmitted that the numbers for polio increased when the vaccination came out and they were forced to lie because they didnt want to scare people. Polio had declined by 80 % before the vaccine was distributed. As for your movement to take away more rights from people, good luck. 2 states have it right now( although not enforced beyond school). The reality is that your school district cannot stop you from getting the waiver, its state law.
as follows...... i can also link u to the waiver if yo would like.

130A-157. Religious exemption
If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are contrary to the immunization requirements contained in this Chapter, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the requirements. Upon submission of a written statement of the bona fide religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirements, the person may attend the college, university, school or facility without presenting a certificate of immunization.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
In 2005, a 17-year old unvaccinated girl visited Romania, caught measles, returned to her home in Indiana, and proceeded to infect at least 34 more people, most of whom were also unvaccinated.
the use of the word most is very convient here, the cdc and AMA recieve 75% of there funding from pharmaceutical companies, thats a fact. Try finding unbiased info.

I dont remember anyone advocating sending your children to other countries around the world without them, thats a whole different situation. secondly I dont say I have it all figured out, just more facts than you, you argument is all opinion. As I said before the drug companies and the research they pay for will scare you, thats the point. The factual evidence is that many diseases were already in decline by the time the vaccines came out, the director of the medical school running trials for the polio vaccine has since addmitted that the numbers for polio increased when the vaccination came out and they were forced to lie because they didnt want to scare people. Polio had declined by 80 % before the vaccine was distributed. As for your movement to take away more rights from people, good luck. 2 states have it right now( although not enforced beyond school). The reality is that your school district cannot stop you from getting the waiver, its state law.
as follows...... i can also link u to the waiver if yo would like.

130A-157. Religious exemption
If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are contrary to the immunization requirements contained in this Chapter, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the requirements. Upon submission of a written statement of the bona fide religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirements, the person may attend the college, university, school or facility without presenting a certificate of immunization.
What church do you belong to and actively participate in that advocates this?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 AM

I am presenting facts. Outbreaks of disease are random. It only takes exposure from someone else to get ill. Unless you have seen what happens to people who contract diptheria, you really have no clue how dangerous it is to forego vaccinations for your children.

I am sure you are a conscientious parent and doing your best to make decisions on behalf of your children. But this issue has been distorted and for some reason, my generation has raised adult children who are caught up in some sort of distorted activisim about the very diseases that were eradicated b/c we Boomers made sure our kids were all vaccinated.

And please - do not be so offhand about polio. I have friends who were left w/ lifelong disabilities b/c they were lucky enuff to survive polio. Others did not survive!

We have illegal immigrants coming into this country w/ no vaccinations and who are making us all susceptible to these diseases, as well as to TB. I work w/ healthcare statistics and I take this info from the CDC and from infectious disease researchers very seriously.

There are cases when for health reasons, a child cannot be vaccinated successfully. And yes, there is mortality associated w/ vaccinations. Hymnsinger explained what her family went through. But for 99 % of the population, vaccinations are important not only for your child's sake, but for the rest of us.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM

ill respond to several things
What church do you belong to and actively participate in that advocates this?
first off the law doesnt require u claim a religion simply the belief, secondly there are many religions that do not practice western medicine.

you really have no clue how dangerous it is to forego vaccinations for your children.

on the contrary i am quite informed about the whole situation. I believe there are better ways to protect your child, I feel many if not all vaccines are unnecessary (especially at the times they are given and how). I will also argue that there are many dangers to vacinating but that is a whole other discussion in itself.

do not be so offhand about polio. I have friends who were left w/ lifelong disabilities b/c they were lucky enuff to survive polio. Others did not survive!

i am not being off hand about it at all, i know the problems it caused and know people who had it. the issue is that it is no longer a disease that people catch in america, as i said 30 years ago was the last wild case, the others have been caused the the vaccine meant to prevent it.

We have illegal immigrants coming into this country w/ no vaccinations and who are making us all susceptible to these diseases, as well as to TB. I work w/ healthcare statistics and I take this info from the CDC and from infectious disease researchers very seriously

illegal immigration is a whole differnt subject matter that cant be solved with a shot.

But for 99 % of the population, vaccinations are important not only for your child's sake, but for the rest of us.

this is your opinion, and somewhat incorrect. See if you read the research, even that in favor of vacinating everyone, it all basically agrees with this concept. Vacinnation, if they are responsible for disease erradication and prevention, need to be administered to the general population at the rate of between 80 and 90 percent depending on the vaccine for the entire population to be protected.

i am sorry i dont buy into the whole concept "in the name of public health". I have the right to choose my form of medicine/ healthcare. This is also why my child will not get antibiotics rubbed in her eye the age of 2 minutes as they do in hospitals. I am a concientious observant parent who will address medical needs in the form of a healthy immune system through breastfeeding, etc etc on down the line.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 AM

Then we agree to disagree on this subject. I do medical/health research as part of my job. What I have written is researched and is public policy under CDC guidelines and indeed, in keeping with the World Health Organization's guidelines (WHO).

It will continue to concern me - and other healthcare providers and researchers - that there seems to be a movement against vaccinations.

Life turns on a moment. When I was younger, I didn't understand how random events can end up causing a catastrophe. Your child could be exposed to diptheria b/c an illegal immigrant crossed his/her path. Illegal immigration is a HUGE concern from a public health aspect, so your dismissing that as not being kosher to this discussion is both arrogant and ignorant.

I am against a Nanny State, where we are all bombarded on the head w/ regulations. However, enacting laws to protect us against the irresponsible decisions that others make in the name of "freedom to choose how to raise my kids" appears to be the only way to protect all of us against the spread of communicable disease.

Again, I am in no way interested in insulting you. You obviously think you are making good decisions on behalf of your family. Ordinarily, I think what goes on in a family is that family's business - but I reserve the right to question those decisions when your actions could affect the rest of us.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM

well we obvously see the world differently.....The idea that you could make laws telling me what I have to do medically is obsured, is this the USSR? If your gonna take things that far than everything anyone does is open for business. Maybe the lady down the street doesnt provide emotionally for her child and grows up to assault, or other wise harm someone else. I mean I am sure thats more common than your scenario of people getting dormant diseases from a chance encounter with an infected person. Not to mention that most illness we vacinate for is very treatable as long as they are not let go.

Plus I really fail to understand how it puts you in danger assuming you have all your vaccinations and they work??

Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
well we obvously see the world differently.....The idea that you could make laws telling me what I have to do medically is obsured, is this the USSR? If your gonna take things that far than everything anyone does is open for business. Maybe the lady down the street doesnt provide emotionally for her child and grows up to assault, or other wise harm someone else. I mean I am sure thats more common than your scenario of people getting dormant diseases from a chance encounter with an infected person. Not to mention that most illness we vacinate for is very treatable as long as they are not let go.

Plus I really fail to understand how it puts you in danger assuming you have all your vaccinations and they work??
Again, I am not in the business of insulting people, so I want to make sure you know that I believe you think you are doing the right things and that you are coming from a place of concern. So please know that I do not mean to sound like I think you have anything other than genuine concern as the basis for the decisions you have made.

Laws are made to protect the common good. That is the whole basis for a federal government. There are all sorts of laws in place that protect the public good. There has been legislation introduced in quite a few states that would mandate vaccinations, and it appears this is exactly what needs to be done - to protect the public good.

Vaccinations are not always a lifetime guarantee of immunity to disease. I not only had measles as a child, I was later vaccinated for them and still, when I became pregnant, was not immune, wh/ was pretty scary, since two colleges in NC had measle outbreaks in the 80s. So being vaccinated is no guaranteed of lifelong immunity, wh/ makes it even MORE imperative that the whole population is vaccinated. But that is something you should already know if you have done your research.

You need your read the stats on disease mortality rates, b/c you are sorely mistaken if you think the diseases we vaccinate against are easily controlled. If that were true, no one would have been clamoring for the vaccines in order to protect their families against the ravages of diptheria, for instance.

I am not interested in arguing about this. The facts are out there. Go to the NIH website and the CDC website and maybe the WHO website and see what happens to children (and adults) who end up contracting these diseases that you think are dormant and easily controlled. I have already done my research - I am paid to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina