Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,110 times

Advertisements

Or some place similar. My family and I live in Petoskey, MI and moved here from the Detroit area. We don't want to move but have to for employment (I think we are at 11% unemployment up here). NC is promising for both our fields. Are there any small towns with a great historic downtown (older homes, mom and pop shop stores, family oriented)? Up here we walk to everything, library, church, school, bookstore, the lake, parks, etc.

Also, we have options in the Raleigh area and the Hickory area? Any comments?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipoftheMitt View Post
Or some place similar. My family and I live in Petoskey, MI and moved here from the Detroit area. We don't want to move but have to for employment (I think we are at 11% unemployment up here). NC is promising for both our fields. Are there any small towns with a great historic downtown (older homes, mom and pop shop stores, family oriented)? Up here we walk to everything, library, church, school, bookstore, the lake, parks, etc.

Also, we have options in the Raleigh area and the Hickory area? Any comments?
Thanks
I'm unfamiliar with Petoskey other than the city-data page. It is a small town on Lake Michigan. Are you looking for a small city on the coast? If you can answer these questions you will get more feedback.

Quote:
When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know.
"

And now for the hard truth..........

The unemployment rate is lower than Michigan's but it is steadily rising here. As you know the unemployment numbers reflect those filing claims. There are more people who are jobless and actively seeking employment. Please do a lot of research about the job market in your fields and secure a job before you move.

NC Unemployment Rate Tops 8.7%

Quote:
Published: January 23, 2009

If you’ve been worried about your job you have a right to be. The states unemployment figures are out and they are the highest they’ve been in 20 years.

Unemployment for last month jumped a full percentage point to 8.7%. Nearly double from a year ago. It’s higher than the national average of 7.2%
North Carolina unemployment claims crash website

Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 11,110 times
Default Thanks - here's more info

We definitely will have jobs before moving, otherwise we could stay where we are unemployed. Here is my dream town-

Out of major hurricane risk, small town where you can do a lot within walking distance, family oriented, strong value of a good education, historic value.

Thank again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: