Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:52 PM

67 posts, read 639,450 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I currently in High school in Northeast Pennsylvania, looking into colleges. I been looking into coming to North Carolina for college. I was looking into the Cary/Apex area but I'm not sure if that would be good for a college student. After college i would like to stay into the North Carolina area. I am looking to go into the construction field, any advice on schools or areas to look into would be great.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
There are plenty of places for you to rent near all NC colleges which can transition you into post college life. Being 17/18 would not worry about after college for another 3 years. Your life will be so much different by then. Pick a college and worry about that for now.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:01 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
What aspect of construction are you looking into? The UNC system has about 16 various campuses state wide. Each campus has a handful of degree programs it specializes in. For instance, UNC Chapel Hill has a great law program; UNC Greensboro has a wonderful education and music program, etc. I would research the schools for what you want to major in specifically and go from there.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 AM

95 posts, read 101,388 times
You don't need to go to college to get into the construction field.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
You don't need to go to college to get into the construction field.
Well if you want to excel in what you are doing, get certifications etc... you usually look into a trade school that offers the course.
I am looking into carpentry and/or electrical. What schools in NC offer Construction trade courses?

I guess not really college but trade school, so i would be working the time i am not in school. I am just trying to the find the best place. I am originally from Long Island, my parents moved last year up here in PA. I like the change of peoples attitudes and way of life, but I am looking for a warmer Climate.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I can't help as far as relocation goes (I am trying to relocate as well), but go to school!! You can't predict the future and it is best to be prepared!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I can't help as far as relocation goes (I am trying to relocate as well), but go to school!! You can't predict the future and it is best to be prepared!
Good luck on relocating, I truly don't know what to major in, but I find woodwork/carpentry interesting so I am planning on that. I also have done working with tiling which I enjoy, when I was on Long Island I did work for my neighbor's tiling business, always was in the Hampton's and Montauk.

But if I can't think of something that I would enjoy to do and can major in it i will do that, if not i am sticking with a construction trade

Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
It sounds like you should check into the community colleges and some of their vo-tech programs. A lot of them have 2 year certificate programs and/or associates degrees. You'll find tuition to be cheaper there as well.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 AM

88 posts, read 321,155 times
I would suggest NC State University if you are leaning toward some kind of Construction Engineering degree and looking into coming to North Carolina. I personally know three people currently in the program and all three are looking at possibly owning or being high up in a management at other construction companies when they graduate. The only problem for you will be that you won't be getting the in state tuition cost so unless you can come here and establish residency for two years you will have to pay the out of state cost of tuition which is around 30k a year. Also, Wake Tech in Raleigh has programs offering construction skills but you won't be able to get anything but an associates degree over there. Hopefully this will help you out a little bit.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Thank you JonPaul. I'll look into those colleges

Does anyone know how Central Piedmont Community College(CPCC) programs are? I saw I found the school on CollegeBoard.com

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina