Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 PM

85 posts, read 263,904 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to either Charlotte or Raleigh areas and I'm curious to see what your opinion is on where the quickly appreciating areas are in these two cities. In addition, how would you rate these particular towns and areas of town:

Raleigh area:
Apex
Cary
Holly Springs
Wake Forest
SE Raleigh

Charlotte area:
Matthews
Mint HIll
Mooresville
Concord
South Charlotte

It'll be so much easier once we can go on a house-hunting trip, but until then, I'm trying to gather as much info. as I can ahead of time, so we can make the most of our house-hunting trip once we get out there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
For the triangle ( in the order you listed them)

1. Appreciating pretty fast because it's one of the fastest growing towns in Wake County. You used to be able to get a great house here for well under 150k, now you can't get much for under 200k

2. The most overpriced area of NC probably. It annexed itself into all of the towns around it and now there isn't much land left to build, so the houses get more expensive by the month or week

3 Holly Springs.... still fairly cheap, but will likely see a spike in prices the next couple of years. One of the "newly disovered" towns that is just starting to take off in growth.

4. A fairly affluent area to begin with, still lots of open land so the prices aren't rising very much, but they are already generaly more expensive than other areas of Wake County

5. Stagnant because it's the dumpiest area of Wake County. High Crime, run down homes, I lived there in an island of a nice subdivision (tryon pines), and kick myself for it. Gang activity is a big concern there.

But an area that you left out, that has the highest rate of appreciation by far is "inside the beltline". Basically totally built up, pretty high demand right now, so the prices there are skyrocketing.

If you are looking for the best area to buy cheap now and sell high in the future, I'd say probably Holly Springs and Fuquay would be the best choices... they are a little off the beaten path, but still in wake county and in reasonable distance to Raleigh and Cary.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:46 PM

37 posts, read 167,235 times
Default How about the schools in Raleigh?

Can you tell me a little bit about the schools? Public and what about the MOntessori schools in or near Raleigh. We are coming down for a visit in August in order to consider moving down to NC ( Raleigh). How about jobs, I monitor clinical trials and my husband Works for Regus Business Centers and manages an office building in downtown Boston. We have looked at various zipcodes for home online and they are BEAUTIFUL! ( 27614-27617) But we really would like to be close to the city........or in Raleigh do you not want to be too close? Here is Boston the closer you are to the city the more places you have to visit ( museums, food kids activities etc...) what about there?
Thanks so much for your help.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guateek
Here is Boston the closer you are to the city the more places you have to visit ( museums, food kids activities etc...) what about there?
Pretty much the same here.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:09 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
Guateek, there are have been several threads about WCPSS already. Look at the bottom right part of the page and click to the second page: "Wake County school problems" is just one thread and there are several others in the fairly recent history, just keep clicking back. (Just want you to see what others have said over time, as this subject has come up repeatedly.)

You may certainly choose to live in the center of the city, but it's no Boston. Downtown is mainly centered around government (local and state) and largely shuts down after 5 pm. There are a few hot spots -- Glenwood South and Little Five Points are notables -- but in my humble opinion, it's not worth the rising real estate prices to live any closer to downtown.

In fact, I'll expound on that ... don't feel like you need to follow the crowd and live in certain parts of the city. I assure you, many places are very beautiful but many places are also quickly becoming so overcrowded that schools are overwhelmed and redistricting is a regular occurence. North Raleigh is nice enough but there is more to Raleigh than Wakefield Plantation or Triangle Town Center. Don't be afraid to explore other parts of the area and find a place that is right for you. Also, don't feel like you need to do all of this searching over the internet, as many sources of information have their own prejudices or ulterior motives. There's nothing like making a visit and seeing things for yourself.

Best of luck to you in your search!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:11 PM

132 posts, read 403,808 times
Just curious again. LOL call me George. But is everyone just moving to make a quick buck on a fastly appreciating house? Seems to be what it sounds like on here. Flippers. What ever happened to fixing something up and living in it for a while. My parents have been in the same house for nearly 20 years and the only reason they moved from the old house is because the neighborhood was going downhill and they wanted safety for us girls. Just seems like to me everyone is interested in flipping and making some dough instead of becoming part of a community and making a home for their family. Sad in my opinion. But that is just my opinion.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:14 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia
Just curious again. LOL call me George. But is everyone just moving to make a quick buck on a fastly appreciating house? Seems to be what it sounds like on here. Flippers. What ever happened to fixing something up and living in it for a while. My parents have been in the same house for nearly 20 years and the only reason they moved from the old house is because the neighborhood was going downhill and they wanted safety for us girls. Just seems like to me everyone is interested in flipping and making some dough instead of becoming part of a community and making a home for their family. Sad in my opinion. But that is just my opinion.
You're not the only one with that opinion.

Community is built by people who want to LIVE in it, not just use it for money.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM

132 posts, read 403,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC
You're not the only one with that opinion.

Community is built by people who want to LIVE in it, not just use it for money.

Exactly. It makes me actually fearful because I can only imagine what some people want to do with the homes they find, and how they will negatively influence the community. I mean I can't imagine someone who is only interested in how much profit they can make, want to make positive changes in the community that will benefit everyone, even if it doesn't increase their personal property value.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM

37 posts, read 167,235 times
Default Wow!

Well I certainly hope that we do not buy into a neighborhood where people are just trying to make fast buck! I really want something safe for our daughter, where we know our neighbors and everything is convenient (grocery, malls, movies etc....)

Old 06-27-2006, 02:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guateek
Can you tell me a little bit about the schools? Public and what about the MOntessori schools in or near Raleigh. We are coming down for a visit in August in order to consider moving down to NC ( Raleigh). How about jobs, I monitor clinical trials and my husband Works for Regus Business Centers and manages an office building in downtown Boston. We have looked at various zipcodes for home online and they are BEAUTIFUL! ( 27614-27617) But we really would like to be close to the city........or in Raleigh do you not want to be too close? Here is Boston the closer you are to the city the more places you have to visit ( museums, food kids activities etc...) what about there?
Raleigh isn't much of a "city". Most of it's neighborhoods, rather, virtually ALL of it's neighborhoods, would be considered suburban. They have a county wide school system (Wake County Public Schools), not a city/town school system. I can't think of a single montessori school in Wake County. Those are pretty much centered around the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina