Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,496 times

Advertisements

It depends. At first glance, it would seem yes : but CAVEAT : they are nice on the surface, but its all fake superficiality. This forum of full of threads on how much they smile brightly and wish you good / morning / evening and so forth but in reality they want nothing to do with you.

THEY think they are being "Friendly" I feel they are "fake".

the commonly accepted definition of "Friendly" is "of, pertaining to or relative to the behavior exhibited by friends" . Many newcomers to NC mistakenly believe that the locals WANT to be friend with them. NOT the case. Women ESPECIALLY take it to the extreme with the "hiiiiiii theeeeere" , you never know if someone likes you because they greet strangers like family. Females smile the same way at valets, butchers, gas station attendants and passing contsruction workers like they do at the own husbands. Men smile less than women, but more than men anywhere else. A lot of men also smile very big and say "how you doing" . it means NOTHING.
Southerners especially here, ask you LOTS of questions about yourself, from your age to if you have kids etc. They will hit you up for convo in the Piggly Wiggly, the superwalmart and the dealership while you get your oil changed. They dont get when you stare into your blackberry and attempt to ignore them. Nothing less than "dont talk to me" will make them get it. They ask you where you live and how much you paid for your house. As someone from Boston, it unnerves me. I can't wait to move back home when my hsubands contract is up !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Makes you wonder what inspired some of these folks to settle in Raleigh, a "big city" in NC terms; but not a big city probably based on their frame of reference. At the other extreme are folks from NY, NJ, CA .. big city people, who want to escape so badly, they go 20 miles up in the country away from the hustle bustle, and then complain because there is "nothing there".

It's all about doing your "homework". Not throwing a dart to a southern city on a map.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Why are people in North Carolina under some special obligation to be nice? Quite frankly, I wish that all of the transplanted complainers would leave.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Why are people in North Carolina under some special obligation to be nice?
In civilized society where people interact with each other, it is generally presumed that being nice to your fellow humans (which is not necessarily the same thing as being "friendly"--the latter being more "active" while "nice" is more passive in interactions) is the way to keep life pleasant, as opposed to everyone selfishly going about their business and treating other people as robots or inconveniences. "Nice" or "polite" simply means saying "please" and "thank you" or "excuse me" if you bump into someone, smiling back at those who say something friendly you in the grocery aisle. It doesn't mean you have to stop and speak or tell them your personal business, just that it's "generally accepted" that when you interact with other humans, you acknowledge them as people and not as inconveniences.

Quote:
Quite frankly, I wish that all of the transplanted complainers would leave.
We do agree on that one. Why stay somewhere that makes one so unhappy?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Why are people in North Carolina under some special obligation to be nice? Quite frankly, I wish that all of the transplanted complainers would leave.
Agreed!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 AM

15 posts, read 26,256 times
Smile I love NC

I grew up in NYC, stayed in Durham when my brother was at Duke. First day there; went to a bbq, the host insisted I use the guest room (instead of fumbling home in the dark). My part-time job at a truck stop was tacky, but I was 20 and looked about 16. I never felt out of place with the residents.
I went to another job interview in Durham and was offered another job (...''you're going to like it here in Durham''). I'm returning to the area (after 30 yrs in NYC). Degrees and careers behind me and I'm ready for warmer climate and taller trees. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoodwin52785 View Post
I CANT JUDGE BY THE POSTS AND MY POSTS ARE DELETED BEFORE MY QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED, SO IT BEGS THE QUESTION ARE YOU GUYS NICE ARE WHAT? I DONT MEAN TO OFFEND BUT I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT NORTH CAROLINA. AND ONE PERSON HAS RESPONDED TO MY THREAD.
I am a Northerner and found that the Southerners are more welcoming. Questions like religion and occupation come up, but that is natural when conversating with others. My trepidation has been with some northerners, and others that are from the north - all works well. I think you have to weed out the good and the bad. But my overall experience is positive and for the most part people are warm and welcoming.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:

Hamish, I am a Northerner that has had more postive interactions with people from the south than the north. I tend to stay away from negativity and do not align myself with complainers.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
My immediate guess would be the OP has made a decision by now , likely not to come here. One thing I worry about though , is civilizations beyond Earth using current 'social media' as an accurate template of humanity , as a whole. We may already be under 'quarantine' , LOL!! It's not that bad here , and it wasn't that bad when I lived in NYC. Everywhere has it's share of indigenous refuse to deal with. If only I(and multiple counterparts)had a nickel for the negativity , we'd all likely be billionaires(save for salespersons who seem to be consistently high).

Old 05-10-2011, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 15,487 times
Default Not more or less than anywhere else

They are less aggressive though and road rage isnt as bad. Rarely do you see ppl beefing or cursing at each other in parking lots etc, its more orderly than other medium size cities. Hope that helps !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina