Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

With the new guide lines for inspection and tag renewal if I pay online how does the state know if it has been inspected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
With the new guide lines for inspection and tag renewal if I pay online how does the state know if it has been inspected?
Good question, as I'll be damned if I want to go back to standing in line at the Tag Agency, that just bites.

And how will the tag agency know, will we have to haul in our paperwork from the inspection?

And will there be any grace period, since you can't get a tag without an inspection, and you have to wait for the state to mail your tag renewal forms, you better get your inspection done in the first 10 - 15 days, to allow time for that to get to Raleigh, and allow renewal forms to be processed and mailed, which likely is only done weekly or less frequently.

Ah, but it is not about safety, or providing a service (easy online renewal) for state residents, it is about revenue, case closed, it will be inconvenient as hell.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
I honestly believe you're going to see that the number of inspections performed in NC will DROP dramatically until they can find a way to prove people are getting the annual ritual performed.

Although I have no reason to support annual inspections as they are a revenue source rather than ensuring safety, the sticker did provide a visual reminder for the vehicle owner AS WELL AS a quick an easy enforcement tool for your inquiring LEO. Now they'll have to physically run the tag on each car they check to see if the inspection is up to date.

In that case, you have to wonder if the state will step in with automatic fines for being overdue on inspection? What a paperwork SNAFU that will be.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
As of November 1, 2008, the two vehicle databases (inspection & registration) were linked.

If the vehicle inspection date has passed, a block will be put on renewal. Your vehicle registration will be automatically blocked the day after the due date.

You may have your vehicle inspected up to 90 days prior to your annual vehicle registration due date, but it must be inspected no later than the last day of the month your vehicle registration expires or your registration will be blocked.

You don't need to wait for the state to mail out the vehicle registration renewal reminder to renew online, since all of the requested information is already on your current registration card.

Last edited by mm34b; 03-30-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
You don't need to wait for the state to mail out the vehicle registration renewal reminder to renew online, since all of the requested information is already on your current registration card.
Have they changed that? You always had to entered the information printed in red on the reminder card. You do not keep that card once you renew, as your wallet card comes with your new sticker/tag, so it is useless, and I just drop it in the shredder.

But it is just about revenue, I keep forgetting that

Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Have they changed that?
Don't think so. You'll need the last five digits of the title number and the license plate number as shown on your current registration card or renewal notice for online renewal.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Ok I recently got my tag renewal in mail. I would prefer to do it online. My inspection expires the same month so I will need to have it inspected before I do it online? Or can I go ahead pay online then by the end of April have it inspected?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Ok I recently got my tag renewal in mail. I would prefer to do it online. My inspection expires the same month so I will need to have it inspected before I do it online? Or can I go ahead pay online then by the end of April have it inspected?
That's my understanding.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Go online and fine out, and report back please.

Of course I have absolutely NO FAITH in NC to actually make the software work so that the inspection and registration systems actually work.

Their last adventure into changing things the new state employee payroll system, Beacon. A year later it is still FUBAR, many things still don't work, and employees are routinely paid incorrect amounts, usually under paid. It still cannot handle items like "inclement weather" time off.

The state is looking long and hard at layoff's vs. furloughs of a day or two a month for state employees in an attempt to work through the budget. It will have to be layoff, as the payroll system cannot handle furloughs, and they are pouring millions into the system. It does less, costs more, and parts are still majorly broken a year after implementation.

Do you know a state employee? Ask them their opinion of Beacon, but don't be standing too close when you ask. Know someone that is a supervisor and must approve the time sheets of their employees? Don't even stand close enough for them to throw something.

I suspect there will be many drivers facing the decision to drive with expired tags or just park their vehicle while the struggle to prove their vehicle has been inspected so they can legally renew their tag.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 PM

I renewed my vehicle registration online last Saturday (4/4/09). I didn't wait for the renewal notice to come in the mail before renewing. Both my registration and inspection were scheduled to expire in May. I received my new license plate sticker by mail on Wednesday (4/8/09). Now, I have to have the inspection performed prior to June.

https://edmv-sp.dot.state.nc.us/sp/N...erviceType=RPS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina