Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Rather than confuse a lot of people with the question that like me had no idea they could do this, let me know and then I will tell you what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
I heard satellite based high-speed Internet service is super expensive, like $100 a month.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM

You're right. It is super expensive. We are paying like $102.79 a month and have had nothing but trouble with it. It goes out when the weather is bad which I anticipated that. But what I didn't anticipate was them cutting us off from downloading if we exceeded 169 MB of downloads in 4 hours time. They drafted our checking account twice this month for the same month which I threw a fit over. I guess I got that through to them. At least they better hope I got through to them. Then I had to call them 5 times this morning because I couldn't get on line. Come to find out the culprit was then cutting us off because of excess downloads. Needless to say, they are about to be cut off. I am not paying this kind of money for them to tell me and I quote, "You need to cut the computer off for 4 hours." I didn't sign a contract with Hughes.net. I signed it with Direcway.net
And I fully intend to get out of this contract. I didn't have this problem with Direcway before Hughes took over. After we bought the equipment, the bill would drop to $60.00 a month. But I can't handle this. I can't do anything when I am downloading something.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
You're right. It is super expensive. We are paying like $102.79 a month and have had nothing but trouble with it. It goes out when the weather is bad which I anticipated that. But what I didn't anticipate was them cutting us off from downloading if we exceeded 169 MB of downloads in 4 hours time. They drafted our checking account twice this month for the same month which I threw a fit over. I guess I got that through to them. At least they better hope I got through to them. Then I had to call them 5 times this morning because I couldn't get on line. Come to find out the culprit was then cutting us off because of excess downloads. Needless to say, they are about to be cut off. I am not paying this kind of money for them to tell me and I quote, "You need to cut the computer off for 4 hours." I didn't sign a contract with Hughes.net. I signed it with Direcway.net
And I fully intend to get out of this contract. I didn't have this problem with Direcway before Hughes took over. After we bought the equipment, the bill would drop to $60.00 a month. But I can't handle this. I can't do anything when I am downloading something.
Was the Satellite service in NC that you had the problems with?

Old 07-06-2006, 04:27 PM

I am not totally sure where the company is out of but the office that did the installing is in North Carolina, Winterville, NC to be exact. But they got the billing issue straigtened out for this month anyway. I cancelled my debit card so that can't just go in there and get what they want next month. I will call them when it is due and make arrangements to pay it. But they won't get the chance to ruin my checking account again. Since the 4th was a holiday, it gave me a chance to get the money in the bank for a check I still had out and it cleared last night. So that is cleared out. I am going to ride it out for the rest of the month and see how the service is. For some reason despite the fact it has rained all day long, after I spoke my peace yesterday, I have yet to have the system lock up today on me like it was doing. Maybe I got my point across.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I am not totally sure where the company is out of but the office that did the installing is in North Carolina, Winterville, NC to be exact. But they got the billing issue straigtened out for this month anyway. I cancelled my debit card so that can't just go in there and get what they want next month. I will call them when it is due and make arrangements to pay it. But they won't get the chance to ruin my checking account again. Since the 4th was a holiday, it gave me a chance to get the money in the bank for a check I still had out and it cleared last night. So that is cleared out. I am going to ride it out for the rest of the month and see how the service is. For some reason despite the fact it has rained all day long, after I spoke my peace yesterday, I have yet to have the system lock up today on me like it was doing. Maybe I got my point across.
Hughes Network Systems LLC is a global company, but their headquarters is in my old hometown of Germantown, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, DC.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:33 AM

40 posts, read 37,422 times
What's the requirement for satellite-type of connectivity? Are you in a remote region where there is no land-based service? Have you thought about a neighbourhood-type line-of-sight microwave from nearby place that does have connectivity?

Old 07-07-2006, 03:53 AM

91 posts, read 253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtykj
What's the requirement for satellite-type of connectivity? Are you in a remote region where there is no land-based service? Have you thought about a neighbourhood-type line-of-sight microwave from nearby place that does have connectivity?
Currently, I am in the Phoenix Arizona area and I can relate. We moved out in the "sticks" here a year ago. LOVE our wide open spaces, but our only choice here is satellite connectivity...no land based services for DSL. It's been better than dial-up, but for the price we pay and the lack of consistency in the services, it's a real pain. Plus, the satellite connection does not "play nice" with the VPN network that I must have for my work, so it's 100% useless for that.

When we move to NC later this year, this will be a major factor when we decide on buying a home. I will be working from home full time and will require DSL land-type based services. We love the thought of buying a place there in a wide open space, and away from the standard housing development, but must consider this when we buy again. Who would have thought that this type of thing was just as high on a list of requirements as a school district??? HA...technology---makes me tired. lol

Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 AM

We tried to get DSL with a company owned locally but they couldn't get a signal. But I have a land based company owned by a place about 12 miles from us that is checking the signal strength and all. Since it uses the phone line, it should work. I can only hope. Just be forewarned about Hughesnet. They have a restriction on how much you can download and will freeze the account if you exceed it in a 4 hour period. I think they said it was something like 169 MG in 4 hours.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAndTerri
When we move to NC later this year, this will be a major factor when we decide on buying a home. I will be working from home full time and will require DSL land-type based services. We love the thought of buying a place there in a wide open space, and away from the standard housing development, but must consider this when we buy again.
Check thru the phone companies that service the area you are looking at. We live in the stix of Davie county, have service thru a small co-op (Yadkin Valley Telephone) and have been provided with flawless DSL access for ... goodness .. 3 or 4 ... maybe even 5 years now. I think we pay $45/month for sooper dooper high speed connections When I asked friends who live in Salisbury about their access, it was thru Bellsouth, I think, and they were always having problems. Other people were hanging out, waiting for Roadrunner to come to the area, via Time Warner. I try not to gloat .. but...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina