Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: transplants, buy a home, lakefront properties, taxes, job market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 19,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your statement here is part of the point I was trying to make:

"I just don't get all the negativity with the influx of people. If it was a large influx of illegal immigrants or people causing an increase in crime, drugs, etc, i could understand, but thats not the case."

BUT IT IS THE CASE. What you fail to comprehend is that all this astronomical growth/influx of people has caused exactly those things to happen. Illegals flock here to jobs building new homes for all the people who continue to pour in - more newcomers equals more illegals able to find jobs. And with a larger population come an increase in crime and drugs. Until about 5 years ago we had NO gangs in this city - now we are dealing with an ever growing presence of gangs. It makes some of us just sick to our stomachs to see the negative changes that have occured with all this growth don't you see? Many of us PREFERRED Charlotte at a population of around 200,000 - we had a good economy, a managable school system, very low crime - A GOOD WAY OF LIFE. We didn't miss that we didn't have Saks or Neiman Marcus to shop at.

I am certainly not blaming you or anyone else for wanting a better life, and we here in Charlotte has been very welcoming of those coming here to seek that. We know growth is not a totally bad thing. All we ask for is some RESPECT for who we are and what all this change is putting us thru.

I feel for boths parties and both are equally right. I do know exactely what you mean "loves Mountains" in a sense. I grew up in a small town in NY(hard to believe), but living in the suburbs in NY and growing up in an area where everyone knew everyones parents and grandparents, etc. walking to Mrs. Weigands local candy shop was like a scene from the little rascals, it was an era in America I am grateful for having been a part of has a child. Walks to the local bank with May, my elderly neighbor to whom I looked upon as a grandmother, meant a delicious mug of hot chocolate on the way. We would ride our bycycles for miles and our parents never had to worry about our safety. Everyone's parents, or grandparents immigrated from Europe, and everyone shared the experience of Elis Island. Now you see all these illegals showing up, bringing all sorts of diseases with them, west niles, bees, new insects, taking work away from from families that have been here for generations, who worked hard getting here staying at Ellis Island and then living the American dream or so they thought. My father was required to learn English before he was granted permission to stay. Now everything is made to accomodate; press one for english etc. and if that doesnt make matters worse, you can't even make a phone call without it being transfered to some foreign country(because the pay is at a fraction) and they can't even understand what your saying. How conveniet; living the american dream from HOME..WOW The biggest problem here(US) is that if everyone would stop trying to save a buck by paying these illegals pennies to build their homes and bulidings, and I'm not leaving corporate out, if they too would leave the landscaping and cooks and waitors, to the struggling american, and lets not leave behind the cheap more afforable nannies.
Thats one thing I must say about where I presently live, theres little work, but whatever it is, its all American hands. I understand whats going on in the wake county areas and other areas, and its a shame that because of unwise choices, laws that are not enforced, we as americans can not relocate without being connected to the stigmata of "there goes the neighborhood", but it does. MONEY!! Americans! the Government! they"re saving money but selling America short of what she is worth, and how she should be respected. God Bless our Veterans and soldiers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 01:25 PM

10 posts, read 19,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My point about gangs is that we didn't have any when this was a smaller city. Since we passed the half million mark gangs have gravitated here for many reasons. Put simply, growth equals more prosperity (for some) which equals opportunity for criminals.

Do not try to confuse the argument by saying southern cities have always had more violent crime even before gangs. The truth is that the south's tradition of violence has been mostly domestic violence. Now, given I'm not personally married to an abuser, or one myself, I am at very low risk from that kind of violence. GANG violence, however, is a whole other kind of violence. What with the lack of respect gang members have in general for human life, turf wars, drug trade and criminal acts encouraged by gangs for either initiation into a gang or to get money for their gangs, my family and I are now at significantly higer risk of being victims of crime. Before Charlotte grew to be such a large city there was not much to draw the criminal element here. So basically, one price people like me have had to pay for all this growth some of you love so much is peace of mind and personal safety.
i dont agree with either one. Crime is high in some places because of population. High population, higher ratio of bad and good people period. less people less chance. Thats like me telling myself that I ran to the country so my kids would be shielded from drugs. drugs are everywhere, is the pressure less because the school is smaller? Yes!! is it easier to supervise my children? Yes! are there gangs here? no because they would have nothing to do except go cow tipping..lol which I hear is quite fun I dont think crime is higher in the south, thats totally ridiculous. you just make the front page easier down south. if you had to put every incident in the paper up north, you'd have a daily library of info. Domestic violence may seem high in the south for the same reasons, but I must admit, the laws for domestic violence in VA is a joke, as well as social services in regards to child abuse. but then again if you watch "I survived" on tv I'd say the laws sucks in regards to woman and children, in man, many states. The system feeds off the sharks and the world goes round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina