Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,952 times

Advertisements

i know that people are moving in masses to nc. so wouldnt the influx of jobs create work in the service industries like property management, or building?
i own a property management company in MIchigan and am selling it to move to NC. I like sales and like to be in the trenches vs. being behind a desk? but i also want to make big money. We heard wilmington is the place to be but is the market saturated? and is it difficult to land a pharm. or med sales job or the similar if my option A doesnt work out?
other than wilmington where can you be surrounded in a community more or less in walking distance with afluent ppl that you could cater to these needs? or even set up a java/ice cream deal where your making money in a hip town off of ppls leisure money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 10:52 PM

259 posts, read 939,229 times
There are plenty of jobs in NC its just that they don't pay life support wages!!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
For those that are qualified there is work.

My son works for Office Depot here in Greenville and they have a stack of apps 4 inches thick. 99.99% of those applicants haven't finished high school, have criminal records or some other sort of reason they can't be hired.

My wife works in retail also and she applied for 4 different jobs in 2 weeks. 3 of them wanted to hire her and she decided on a nice Harris Teeter full time position with bennies.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
There are plenty of McDonald's, and Wal-Marts for employment, not to mention clerking in the corner convenient robbery store, which have put on additional clerks since we got a lootery, uh.... excuse me tax on those bad at math, referred to as the lottery.

Google is coming to NC, but bring most of the skilled workforce with them.

A late freeze really clobbered the apple crop in the western end of the state, so there won't be much need for migrant immigrant labor there later this summer.

Asheville is a tourist mecca, so lots of jobs cleaning hotel rooms and waiting tables here, seasonal only though.

And high state income taxes.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:59 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
There are plenty of jobs in NC its just that they don't pay life support wages!!
Like she said, there is plenty to do here. It is just that the type of jobs that are available you couldn't give them away. I tell you, I have done some pretty nasty jobs while I have lived in North Carolina my entire life. And there is nothing nastier than a tobacco harvest in a 110 degree heat index field during August. What with the heat, the tobacco worms, not to mention the tobacco gum that hangs onto the leaves for dear life, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it. I got out of there just as soon as I graduated from high school. On the other hand, if you want a reason to quit smoking, look me up once you get here this summer. I can provide you plenty of reasons after one trip into hell on earth. It is just that places like McDonalds, Food Lion, and any other mininum wage provider has wised up. A lot of applicants can't pass the drug testing that goes along with these jobs. But I sure have done my share of them on the way to what I really wanted to do.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:08 AM

201 posts, read 804,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laschin1 View Post
i own a property management company in MIchigan and am selling it to move to NC. other than wilmington where can you be surrounded in a community more or less in walking distance with afluent ppl that you could cater to these needs? or even set up a java/ice cream deal where your making money in a hip town off of ppls leisure money?
I am in the property management industry...and also came here from Michigan about three months ago. I actually live in Charlotte. The business here is definitely better than in MI, but yes, like most other areas, it is pretty saturated. However, there are still new projects going up all over the place and from what I've seen so far, it sure seems like a good business to be in around this area.

There are a number of areas around Charlotte that are "walking communities" - you may want to check it out. There is alot of money in Charlotte...there is no question about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina