Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2006, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 29,693 times

Advertisements

Hello again its me... I asked awhile back about us moving to North Carolina to the Ashville area. I got about 5 replys but not much help. I have my whole family moving there along with two granddaughers.......the kids are ages 4-6-8 years old so they will be going to school.....I would like a place that is child friendly and has decent schools since schools are very important to our children (grandchildren) my husband is a cook and has been for 23 years.....my oldest son (27) works for rentway and my other son (26) is a dishwasher and he is deaf and my daughter (25) loves the outdoors and wants employment to do with the outdoors like the forest or park areas. We are looking to rent for now and would need houses for each child plus ourselves. We don't want to pay an arm and a leg for houses if we don't have to. Hope to live in a small town but at least able to go to a large town for work and such.......please any info would help
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 PM

58 posts, read 344,486 times
I have enjoyed Salisbury, it is a small historic city, but is growing pretty quickly while still keeping the historic district alive. I'm not too sure about the job marked, but you could check some of the job sites the zip is 28144 through 28147. Concord, Kannapolis, Moorseville, and Statesville also seem to be pretty popular.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
Yes I was looking at Salisbury, too. Seems they have alot of older, historical homes.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:24 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
I lived about 30 miles East of Asheville for 5 years and my mom still lives there.
If you are looking to settle near Asheville then your options are kind of limited.
Of course you have Swannonoa or Black Mountain. Both pretty nice communities, but I don't really know much about the schools.
Hendersonville is really nice, but more pricey. When you go further out in the mountains South and South West of Asheville you get into some of those places where Floridians are moving in and driving the housing costs up.
If you husband is a cook, then he should be able to find something along Tunnel Road in Asheville. Almost every chain restaurant is there now.
Of course, there is plenty to do in terms of outdoorsy kind of stuff.
I would look for housing options on Craigslist and just compare the areas. I know moving is a pain, but if you rent for a while that will give you a chance to find your way around.
Don't know if you said where you were moving from?

Old 07-13-2006, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 29,693 times
Hello and sorry , we are moving from Columbia South Carolina. The weather here is just too hot and the people leave something to be desired. Would like more of a county life and a safer better place to raise our children. Crime here is going wild and the drugs here are just around the cornor and too easy to get and they love to get the smaller kids hooked on them . We just want out of here........... so any info on any town that is nice in any area would be welcome........any area in North Carolina, we just went towards Ashville because we have heard a few people talk about that area, but I know there are more areas that might fit our needs....thank you

Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
^Well you say Columbia is too hot, but most of NC won't be enough cooler to notice a difference except for Asheville and the other mountain areas. Asheville's great cuz it has a dynamic and active downtown & city life--museums, theatres, cafes, shopping, etc...and it's right in the mountains surrounded by beauty and the country life just a few steps away.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margater
Hello and sorry , we are moving from Columbia South Carolina. The weather here is just too hot and the people leave something to be desired. Would like more of a county life and a safer better place to raise our children. Crime here is going wild and the drugs here are just around the cornor and too easy to get and they love to get the smaller kids hooked on them . We just want out of here........... so any info on any town that is nice in any area would be welcome........any area in North Carolina, we just went towards Ashville because we have heard a few people talk about that area, but I know there are more areas that might fit our needs....thank you
Check out Mooresville. I am here now and really like it. I have heard schools are really good, country like settings just outside the general area.
You have Lake Norman as well as Lake NOrman State park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina