Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 13,003 times

Advertisements

Hi, my girlfriend and I are looking to relocate to North Carolina from New York City in the next two years and would like some help deciding where to go. We are trying to decide between the the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area and Charlotte.

We are two african american women in our early/mid thirties with an 11 year old son. We are looking for a diverse neighborhood (don't want to live around all anything be it black, white or whatever.) Of course we'd like some place that is gay friendly. We'd like a good school system since our son has always been in gifted programs and we don't want his education to suffer in the move. We are also looking to have at least one more child so someplace that is good for little kids as well. We are not "party" people but after living in NYC all our lives don't want to move somewhere too slow. Basically we go out maybe once a month.

We have already decided to rent for 6 months to a year to get a feel for wherever we go but would like some assistance in pin pointing where we should look as we plan to begin making trips down this summer.

Don't know what else might be helpful so if there is any information that might be helpful don't hesitate to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeP View Post
Hi, my girlfriend and I are looking to relocate to North Carolina from New York City in the next two years and would like some help deciding where to go. We are trying to decide between the the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area and Charlotte.

We are two african american women in our early/mid thirties with an 11 year old son. We are looking for a diverse neighborhood (don't want to live around all anything be it black, white or whatever.) Of course we'd like some place that is gay friendly. We'd like a good school system since our son has always been in gifted programs and we don't want his education to suffer in the move. We are also looking to have at least one more child so someplace that is good for little kids as well. We are not "party" people but after living in NYC all our lives don't want to move somewhere too slow. Basically we go out maybe once a month.

We have already decided to rent for 6 months to a year to get a feel for wherever we go but would like some assistance in pin pointing where we should look as we plan to begin making trips down this summer.

Don't know what else might be helpful so if there is any information that might be helpful don't hesitate to ask

Given all you say you are looking for I'd say one of the first places for you to check out is Chapel Hill, especially for the schools.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Durham is the most "multicultural"/racially integrated place and also probably has the highest concentration of Lesbian households in NC. Duke University and a newly-being-renovated downtown area make it an exciting, often edgy, place to be. BUT, nothing in the Triangle are will compare to the "city" vibe of NYC. Charlotte is the biggest city in NC and the most "metropolitan", but it, too, will be quite a downshift.

The Durham public school system doesn't get the most rave reviews, but there are private schools such as Durham Academy that are very well-rated and perhaps would be in your budget.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are the most "quote unquote liberal" areas in the state and probably in the Southeast. Asheville, as well. But all would be a HUGE step down from NYC in terms of having any "urban" vibe at all.

City-data has basic demographic profiles of most cities/towns if you search by the name.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM

8 posts, read 13,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Durham is the most "multicultural"/racially integrated place and also probably has the highest concentration of Lesbian households in NC. Duke University and a newly-being-renovated downtown area make it an exciting, often edgy, place to be. BUT, nothing in the Triangle are will compare to the "city" vibe of NYC. Charlotte is the biggest city in NC and the most "metropolitan", but it, too, will be quite a downshift.

The Durham public school system doesn't get the most rave reviews, but there are private schools such as Durham Academy that are very well-rated and perhaps would be in your budget.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are the most "quote unquote liberal" areas in the state and probably in the Southeast. Asheville, as well. But all would be a HUGE step down from NYC in terms of having any "urban" vibe at all.

City-data has basic demographic profiles of most cities/towns if you search by the name.
Doesn't have to be a NYC vibe. Truth be told we are tired of NY but know that if we go somewhere too slow we might suffer culture shock lol. Mostly we just want someplace where we can take part in cultural events, enjoy different types of restaurants and the occasional lounge/club (doesn’t have to be gay places).

Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeP View Post
Doesn't have to be a NYC vibe. Truth be told we are tired of NY but know that if we go somewhere too slow we might suffer culture shock lol. Mostly we just want someplace where we can take part in cultural events, enjoy different types of restaurants and the occasional lounge/club (doesn’t have to be gay places).
That's kind of what I'm saying: most people who come here from NYC find it unbearably boring UNLESS they specifically wanted to "leave all of that behind" altogether. Naturally nowhere other than NYC, certainly not anywhere in the Southeast, has a "NYC vibe", but the Triangle cities are really more suburban all around, with little downtown areas almost smaller than Times Square in area. Public transportation in the Triangle is woefully nonexistant and you'd need to get used to driving everywhere.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:05 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
The Triangle is great for intellectuals who are laid back and not into a thumping, vibrant urban life. It is very suburban and rather quaint. It is not the place for those love bright lights, pumping nightlife, dense neighborhoods, walkable streets, and dependable mass transit. For many, it is a suburban nightmare.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 AM

6 posts, read 7,076 times
Good evening all - My partner has a training opportunity in Alexander County, NC. She, I and our two children will be moving to North Carolina within the next 6 months. I have concerns about racial and sexual orientation issues. We are an African Amer. Lesbian couple. Can ANYONE give some advice about where to live? She has done the long commute thing for the last 5 years and doesn't want to travel any longer than 45 or so minutes. I had zeroed in on Asheville but I think it would be too long of a drive for her. Also, her opportunity does not have medical benefits. What companies could I look into becoming employed with in the area that would offer Domestic Partner benefits? I don't mind up to an hour drive. - Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i think Carrboro would be a good starting place

Old 04-15-2010, 11:22 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForAnswers2 View Post
Also, her opportunity does not have medical benefits. What companies could I look into becoming employed with in the area that would offer Domestic Partner benefits? I don't mind up to an hour drive. - Thanks

Does NC even allow businesses to offer Domestic Partner benefits??

Old 04-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForAnswers2 View Post
Good evening all - My partner has a training opportunity in Alexander County, NC. She, I and our two children will be moving to North Carolina within the next 6 months. I have concerns about racial and sexual orientation issues. We are an African Amer. Lesbian couple. Can ANYONE give some advice about where to live?
I don't mean to be a downer, but Alexander County is right in the heart of the most "bedrock Republican" area of NC. That whole area west of Winston-Salem and north of Charlotte is a solid "Red" area politically. Here is a county-by-county breakdown of the Presidential vote in 2008 (NC as a whole was a Blue state, but note the solid red area where we're talking about. Hover above Alexander and see how Republican it is (granted, I know you cannot judge the entire politics of an area by its Presidential vote, but considering that NC went for Obama, it's worth noting that Alexander and the surrounding counties did not, by a long shot). You'd do best being as close to Charlotte as you can, or possibly Boone (college town but otherwise still a very conservative area). Hickory is the closest "city" to where you'll be, but I have never heard Hickory referred to as "liberal", by a long shot.

Quote:
Also, her opportunity does not have medical benefits. What companies could I look into becoming employed with in the area that would offer Domestic Partner benefits? I don't mind up to an hour drive.
Some NC companies and universities do offer DP benefits, but you'll get laughed out of Alexander County for asking that. Most of the companies that do are in the Triangle area.

Again, not trying to scare you, but I'm a gay man who's lived my whole 40something life in NC--which is a great state overall--and as I say, you've picked the most conservative part of the state, politically. I truly cannot imagine you'll have an easy life as a couple there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina