Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,907 times

Advertisements

Thank you again jdljr for your insights and information ... you have helped many of stress a little bit less and ask better questions when dealing NCESC.

I had asked about getting a "statement" of my benefits - where I am now and what might be expected - for my bank (trying for a mortgage mod.) Well, I emailed ESC and was advised to contact the Legal Dept., which I did. My contact there very kindly told me to write a letter explaining my request and NCESC can generate a verification of benefits. They'll send it t me and I'll fax it to my bank. So hopefully that will satisfy good old Wells Fargo. Maybe this info will help someone else.

In a different direction, I had asked about running out of benefits ("Benefits Exhausted") in Year 2, and the likelihood of pulling forward unused Tiers from Year 1. I ended up calling my local office on June 2nd, got thru right away (I'm in a semi-rural county) and a rep said she would make an entry and I should check this morning to see if it worked. When she spoke with me she noted I was in Year 2, and had used some of Tier 2 in Year 1. So, I look at my Claim Profile this morning and see "CLAIM STATUS - Regular Active Claim" and see "Extended Benefits (EB)" Effective Date: 5/30/2010, Eligible for EB: Yes, and amount listed is $505 (what I had been receiving for regular UI).

My concern is, I am not eligible for EB, since I am in Year 2. I don't want to rock the boat, neither do I want to have to pay back benefits for which I was not eligible. Should I call and ask about this?

Am I misunderstanding what the abbreviation "EB" means? Is this just a way of indicating I am eligible for pulling forward previous year's Tiers (which would have been $494 a week, what I had received in Year 1)?

Thanks thanks thanks again!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Thank you again jdljr for your insights and information ... you have helped many of stress a little bit less and ask better questions when dealing NCESC.

I had asked about getting a "statement" of my benefits - where I am now and what might be expected - for my bank (trying for a mortgage mod.) Well, I emailed ESC and was advised to contact the Legal Dept., which I did. My contact there very kindly told me to write a letter explaining my request and NCESC can generate a verification of benefits. They'll send it t me and I'll fax it to my bank. So hopefully that will satisfy good old Wells Fargo. Maybe this info will help someone else.

In a different direction, I had asked about running out of benefits ("Benefits Exhausted") in Year 2, and the likelihood of pulling forward unused Tiers from Year 1. I ended up calling my local office on June 2nd, got thru right away (I'm in a semi-rural county) and a rep said she would make an entry and I should check this morning to see if it worked. When she spoke with me she noted I was in Year 2, and had used some of Tier 2 in Year 1. So, I look at my Claim Profile this morning and see "CLAIM STATUS - Regular Active Claim" and see "Extended Benefits (EB)" Effective Date: 5/30/2010, Eligible for EB: Yes, and amount listed is $505 (what I had been receiving for regular UI).

My concern is, I am not eligible for EB, since I am in Year 2. I don't want to rock the boat, neither do I want to have to pay back benefits for which I was not eligible. Should I call and ask about this?

Am I misunderstanding what the abbreviation "EB" means? Is this just a way of indicating I am eligible for pulling forward previous year's Tiers (which would have been $494 a week, what I had received in Year 1)?

Thanks thanks thanks again!!!
There are two different extension programs - EUC and EB. EUC always pays before EB, however in circumstances like some are facing right now with the EUC program having lapsed, they can file for EB benefits (claims rep doing a B1 transaction to "re-open" the claim) while waiting for EUC to be extended, provided they're eligible. If someone meets the monetary requirements for EUC, they also meet the monetary requirements for EB.

You say you aren't eligible for EB, but EB can be brought forward from a previous benefit year. The only way you would not be eligible for EB is if you again received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, OR, you had a disqualification on your claim from an adjudicated issue in either benefit year. Otherwise, if neither of these apply, you should be eligible for EB. There are no tier levels of EB, rather EB pays 80% of the duration of the claim from which you qualified for EB. For example, if in your first benefit year you qualified for 26 weeks of regular UI, as long as you meet the monetary requirments to qualify for extensions and don't have any disqualifications, you would qualify for 20 weeks of EB (80% of 26 weeks = 20 weeks).

Now, until you try to file a week, the system may THINK you're eligible for EB, however if you've again received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, it won't render the EB ineligible until it sees you've tried to file a week, and then it may actually determine your ineligibility.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 PM

So were the Year 2 benefits "regular UI"? I was at 6th week of Tier 2 when year 2 started, I received a benefit letter stating my benefits would be $505 a week for 14 weeks, it wasn't EUC funds.

I had had enough income before being laid off to qualify for Year 2.

I think I'm no-go on the EB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
There are two different extension programs - EUC and EB. EUC always pays before EB, however in circumstances like some are facing right now with the EUC program having lapsed, they can file for EB benefits (claims rep doing a B1 transaction to "re-open" the claim) while waiting for EUC to be extended, provided they're eligible. If someone meets the monetary requirements for EUC, they also meet the monetary requirements for EB.

You say you aren't eligible for EB, but EB can be brought forward from a previous benefit year. The only way you would not be eligible for EB is if you again received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, OR, you had a disqualification on your claim from an adjudicated issue in either benefit year. Otherwise, if neither of these apply, you should be eligible for EB. There are no tier levels of EB, rather EB pays 80% of the duration of the claim from which you qualified for EB. For example, if in your first benefit year you qualified for 26 weeks of regular UI, as long as you meet the monetary requirments to qualify for extensions and don't have any disqualifications, you would qualify for 20 weeks of EB (80% of 26 weeks = 20 weeks).

Now, until you try to file a week, the system may THINK you're eligible for EB, however if you've again received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, it won't render the EB ineligible until it sees you've tried to file a week, and then it may actually determine your ineligibility.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
So were the Year 2 benefits "regular UI"? I was at 6th week of Tier 2 when year 2 started, I received a benefit letter stating my benefits would be $505 a week for 14 weeks, it wasn't EUC funds.

I had had enough income before being laid off to qualify for Year 2.

I think I'm no-go on the EB.
The determination letter of $505/wk for 14 weeks sounds like regular UI. Not sure if this was quite awhile ago, or May 16, 2010 or later that you began your 2nd benefit year. If it was quite awhile ago, then at the end of your 14 weeks, if you qualified for NEW extensions, you started over with Tier 1 EUC, then Tier 2, etc. If you did not qualify for NEW extensions after your 14 weeks at $505/wk, then they would have "pulled forward" your unused extension money from your first benefit year (AND the weekly benefit amount from the first benefit year) for you to draw out. If this is what happened, then you're right, you would not qualify for EB since you would have gotten another round of regular UI.

If you're not eligible for EB, then right now you're awaiting the Senate to convene and vote on the extension to extend the EUC program. When/if that happens, you'll then have to subsequently allow EUC several days to re-progam the system to incoporate that new phase out date before any claims will pay.

If you started your 2nd benefit year on or after May 16th of this year, then you'll also have to contend with the 6x rule (earning at least $4,550 between when your first benefit year started and when it ended) in order to qualify for the 2nd benefit year. I THINK WE TALKED ABOUT THIS ALREADY, but I can't remember. Even if you got the monetary determination in the mail stating 14 weeks at $505/wk, you wouldn't qualify for that unless you had worked within your first benefit year and earned at least $4,550. There would be a notice at the bottom of the determination stating that you were disqualified unless you could prove any wages earned during that time. If that's the case, then you would be waiting for ESC to get the programming done to get your unused extension money transferred to your new benefit year for you to draw.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks.

I started my 2nd benefit year at the end of Nov 2009.

I have worked part-time and thus stretched out my benefits, my "14 weeks" worth of benefits were exhusted the week ending May 29th.

That's why I posted in a different post that I missed the deadline to exhaust my regular UI by one week! I just have this sick feeling that I am totally screwed - not eligible for EB and missed the EUC08 benefit exhaustion deadline by one week.
"Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending May 22, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective May 23, 2010. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending May 29, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
The determination letter of $505/wk for 14 weeks sounds like regular UI. Not sure if this was quite awhile ago, or May 16, 2010 or later that you began your 2nd benefit year. If it was quite awhile ago, then at the end of your 14 weeks, if you qualified for NEW extensions, you started over with Tier 1 EUC, then Tier 2, etc. If you did not qualify for NEW extensions after your 14 weeks at $505/wk, then they would have "pulled forward" your unused extension money from your first benefit year (AND the weekly benefit amount from the first benefit year) for you to draw out. If this is what happened, then you're right, you would not qualify for EB since you would have gotten another round of regular UI.

If you're not eligible for EB, then right now you're awaiting the Senate to convene and vote on the extension to extend the EUC program. When/if that happens, you'll then have to subsequently allow EUC several days to re-progam the system to incoporate that new phase out date before any claims will pay.

If you started your 2nd benefit year on or after May 16th of this year, then you'll also have to contend with the 6x rule (earning at least $4,550 between when your first benefit year started and when it ended) in order to qualify for the 2nd benefit year. I THINK WE TALKED ABOUT THIS ALREADY, but I can't remember. Even if you got the monetary determination in the mail stating 14 weeks at $505/wk, you wouldn't qualify for that unless you had worked within your first benefit year and earned at least $4,550. There would be a notice at the bottom of the determination stating that you were disqualified unless you could prove any wages earned during that time. If that's the case, then you would be waiting for ESC to get the programming done to get your unused extension money transferred to your new benefit year for you to draw.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

I started my 2nd benefit year at the end of Nov 2009.

I have worked part-time and thus stretched out my benefits, my "14 weeks" worth of benefits were exhusted the week ending May 29th.

That's why I posted in a different post that I missed the deadline to exhaust my regular UI by one week! I just have this sick feeling that I am totally screwed - not eligible for EB and missed the EUC08 benefit exhaustion deadline by one week.
"Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending May 22, 2010 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective May 23, 2010. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending May 29, 2010 to qualify for the next higher tier."
Well yea, if you received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year (which it sounds like you did - 14 weeks at $505/wk - then you're not eligible for EB.

All is not lost though. You're only waiting for the Senate to vote on the extension of the EUC program so that you can go into that program. The thought is they are going to, which will extend the EUC program until the end of November. As soon as they vote (and approve) and we update the system programming, EUC would again begin paying for folks in your situation. It may still be a week or so (assuming the Senate takes up the issue immediately when they return on Monday) before EUC payments begin flowing. After the Senate vote and approval, if you qualify for NEW extensions it should be fairly soon after the programming is done that your payments would begin. If you don't qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year and require a pull-forward of your unused extension money from your previous benefit year, you'll have to wait for the pull forward programming to run also, which has been on Tuesdays...not sure if it will continue Tuesdays, or another day.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Moderator Note:
Thanks for being helpful but in the terms of sevice at the top of every forum that we all agreed
to upon registering.
It states:
Quote:
This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina