Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM

8 posts, read 42,947 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to North Carolina next year, and just wanted an input from some locals about the best towns to live in. I'm looking for friendly people, a clean/safe area, and mild winters. I always hear about that "Southern Charm" that North Carolina has I will be moving from Indiana, a town about 25 mins. outside of Chicago. I want to get away from these freezing cold winters! My family and I will be driving down to look at a bunch of towns, so I thought I should get a heads up first from you guys. Thanks so much, I appreciate your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,904,399 times
New Bern, Morehead City, Havelock, Newport. Carteret and Craven county basically

Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
First and foremost, where will you be working? Of course this is the major factor in where you will live.

NC is a very diverse state and the towns in the mountains are nothing like the towns on the coast or in the piedmont. There is no way anyone can sum up "The towns of NC" with one description. Can you give a little more info on what is drawing you here and what you're looking for, other than "towns in NC"?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny0078 View Post
I will be relocating to North Carolina next year, and just wanted an input from some locals about the best towns to live in. I'm looking for friendly people, a clean/safe area, and mild winters. I always hear about that "Southern Charm" that North Carolina has I will be moving from Indiana, a town about 25 mins. outside of Chicago. I want to get away from these freezing cold winters! My family and I will be driving down to look at a bunch of towns, so I thought I should get a heads up first from you guys. Thanks so much, I appreciate your answers!

I suggest you check out Greenville, SOUTH Carolina

Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM

8 posts, read 42,947 times
I actually will not be working, just a full-time student. However, I'm not your typical college kid looking for a crazy party environment. I'd like to be in a nice quaint town with kind-hearted people, and a good mall close by-I love shoppin' till I'm droppin' The mountain towns all look beautiful surrounding Asheville, I will be very excited to visit. I have heard that Asheville has an overall hippy atmosphere to the town after reading many posts, so I'm not sure if I'd like that, I could be wrong. (Just my opinion of where I'd want to live, nothin' against hippies). But I just love the mountains in the fall, nothing can compare. Chapel Hill/Hillsborough/Cary looks like a nice area also. UNCCH looks like a beautiful school with all the historical buildings. I have also heard great things about Wilmington, although from reading these posts it looks like it has more crime than I would like. I am not positive though as I have never been. I don't know much about Charlotte or the Winston-Salem area or any other areas really.. I don't really want to live in an actual city, mainly just the outskirts of the city. Also, my parents are going to retire in the next year, so they will be joining me as well. We also don't want to "out in the sticks". A lot of Indiana has that, where it's just nothing but cornfields. Being from out of state, I don't know about the rest of the beautiful towns that NC has to offer, so if anyone could help me out that'd be wonderful, thanks again for your time and for reading.

lovesMountains- I actually have been looking into South Carolina as well, and Greenville looks like a gorgeous town!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 PM

48 posts, read 184,301 times
What about Elkin, NC? Anyone know anything good/bad about Elkin??

Does anyone know anything about Surry Community College?

My daughter and I are relocating this summer and want to be in NC. She is attending a community college here in the SF Bay Area.

We NEED to move this summer and I am lost for where in NC to live and attend for a community college. Safe and clean.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 15,918 times
We moved to the Rolesville side of Wake Forest last June and Love it (originally from NE Ohio)! We have the option of traveling down Capitol Blvd. or 401 to go into the Mall or wholesale clubs, which allows us to pick and choose what kind of traffic to deal with. On weekdays, 401 has become crowded but once it is made into a 4 lane Hwy that should make it better for a while. Being close to downtown Raleigh and it's museums, Falls/Mayo/Hyco Lakes and recreation areas as well as the Ocean is a real plus.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,346,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny0078 View Post
I actually will not be working, just a full-time student. However, I'm not your typical college kid looking for a crazy party environment. I'd like to be in a nice quaint town with kind-hearted people, and a good mall close by-I love shoppin' till I'm droppin' The mountain towns all look beautiful surrounding Asheville, I will be very excited to visit. I have heard that Asheville has an overall hippy atmosphere to the town after reading many posts, so I'm not sure if I'd like that, I could be wrong. (Just my opinion of where I'd want to live, nothin' against hippies). But I just love the mountains in the fall, nothing can compare. Chapel Hill/Hillsborough/Cary looks like a nice area also. UNCCH looks like a beautiful school with all the historical buildings. I have also heard great things about Wilmington, although from reading these posts it looks like it has more crime than I would like. I am not positive though as I have never been. I don't know much about Charlotte or the Winston-Salem area or any other areas really.. I don't really want to live in an actual city, mainly just the outskirts of the city. Also, my parents are going to retire in the next year, so they will be joining me as well. We also don't want to "out in the sticks". A lot of Indiana has that, where it's just nothing but cornfields. Being from out of state, I don't know about the rest of the beautiful towns that NC has to offer, so if anyone could help me out that'd be wonderful, thanks again for your time and for reading.

lovesMountains- I actually have been looking into South Carolina as well, and Greenville looks like a gorgeous town!
Sounds like Hillsborough would work out great for both you and your parents. It's a quaint historic town convenient to both Durham and Chapel Hill. UNC is one of the best state schools in the country and very competitive. Tuition is expensive for out of state students. There are two community colleges you could attend if you lived in the Hillsborough area, which are Durham Tech and Alamance CC, then transfer to UNC after you attain residency status. But, even community college tuition for out of state students is very high. I would also strongly consider Carrboro for a short commute to UNC, yet a small town vibe. What is your major? That would be a strong consideration to what school and area you move to. Cary is a suburban town that is great for families. I would not want to commute to UNC from Cary. You won't have that small town/rural vibe there. You also have to consider how long it takes to park on campus. You might want to think about using the free bus if you live in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. That eliminates the hassle and time it takes to park. If you lived in Hillsborough you can avoid I-40 and take 86 into Chapel Hill, which is great if you want to avoid the traffic/interstate driving. Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Hillsborough are quite liberal, so that may or may not be a good fit for you all.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
Jenny0078, I'm confused, since you say you will be a full-time student. Have you been accepted anywhere yet? It seems that that would be the biggest factor in where you end up

If you are wondering where to apply to, note that both individual programs offered and acceptance rates vary a lot among the UNC system schools. I would certainly pick the program first, with a backup plan for somewhere like UNC-CH which is the hardest to get into from out-of-state.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLiz View Post
What about Elkin, NC? Anyone know anything good/bad about Elkin??

Does anyone know anything about Surry Community College?

My daughter and I are relocating this summer and want to be in NC. She is attending a community college here in the SF Bay Area.

We NEED to move this summer and I am lost for where in NC to live and attend for a community college. Safe and clean.

Any help would be appreciated.

I like little Elkin It's right in the foothills and there is nice countryside. But are you looking to live more rural like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina