Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 PM

43 posts, read 197,574 times

Advertisements

Moving from Minneapolis to Bismarck at the end of May for an engineering job and subsequently looking for housing. First, I'm planning on being there for 2-3 years (not interested in using my first-house government benefits, so buying is out). I've thought about renting a house, but I'm going to be traveling extensively around the state and into Montana so low maintenance and don't want to have to deal with putting plastic over my windows, finding and stopping air leaks over the winter. I've found a few nice apartments online, but looking for general suggestions about the area I might not know.

What I want in an apartment:
*Balcony
*Above ground floor
*At least 2-bedroom for an office
*$0-$1000/month

I found really nice three-bedroom apartment (Cottonwood) and was thinking about just getting it and just waiting until I met someone I want as a roommate. I haven't actually been to Bismarck yet, but will be checking out places within the next few weeks.

Suggestions/thoughts about housing or other subjects in Bismarck are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM

4 posts, read 16,991 times
Default Why Rent?

Why would you want to rent when you can buy houses so cheap up here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ldfuse View Post
Moving from Minneapolis to Bismarck at the end of May for an engineering job and subsequently looking for housing. First, I'm planning on being there for 2-3 years (not interested in using my first-house government benefits, so buying is out). I've thought about renting a house, but I'm going to be traveling extensively around the state and into Montana so low maintenance and don't want to have to deal with putting plastic over my windows, finding and stopping air leaks over the winter. I've found a few nice apartments online, but looking for general suggestions about the area I might not know.

*Balcony
*Above ground floor
*$0-$1000/month

I found really nice three-bedroom apartment (Cottonwood) and was thinking about just getting it and just waiting until I met someone I want as a roommate. I haven't actually been to Bismarck yet, but will be checking out places within the next few weeks.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:20 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,187 times
Why would you want to rent when you can buy houses so cheap up here.

First, I'm planning on being there for 2-3 years (not interested in using my first-house government benefits, so buying is out). I've thought about renting a house, but I'm going to be traveling extensively around the state and into Montana so low maintenance and don't want to have to deal with putting plastic over my windows, finding and stopping air leaks over the winter

Old 04-26-2008, 01:19 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,287 times
Quote:

*Balcony
*Above ground floor
*$0-$1000/month

Check out Goldmarks Apartments. Their Pebble Creek apartments were very nice, I enjoyed living there. They have laundry hook-up in each unit, balconies over looking pebble creek golf course, and garages are included in your rent. There are a lot of different complexes in the city though, most are owned by either Goldmark or IMM. I will include the link for both. I would think it better to rent an apartment than a house simply because when your out traveling there is someone there to maintain the property while your gone. Plus in an apartment building your neighbors will always be looking out for you. The apartments on the north side of Bismarck (north of I-94) are, in my opinion, the nicest. Cottonwood is nice but so far from everything. The average 2 bedroom is $650-750 (man I miss those prices!) so a roommate is hardly necessary. Cottonwood is probably the most expensive in town (the 3 bedroom you are looking at is going to run you $950-$1150, way too much for the limited amenities). Many of the apartments north of the 94 have quick access to it, so that would be good since you will be traveling a lot. I have included the following links for you...
IMM Apartments Bismarck, ND
Goldmark Apartments
BisMan Online Bismarck Apartments
Bismarck Mandan Apartment Association

Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Check out Goldmarks Apartments. Their Pebble Creek apartments were very nice, I enjoyed living there. They have laundry hook-up in each unit, balconies over looking pebble creek golf course, and garages are included in your rent. There are a lot of different complexes in the city though, most are owned by either Goldmark or IMM. I will include the link for both. I would think it better to rent an apartment than a house simply because when your out traveling there is someone there to maintain the property while your gone. Plus in an apartment building your neighbors will always be looking out for you. The apartments on the north side of Bismarck (north of I-94) are, in my opinion, the nicest. Cottonwood is nice but so far from everything. The average 2 bedroom is $650-750 (man I miss those prices!) so a roommate is hardly necessary. Cottonwood is probably the most expensive in town (the 3 bedroom you are looking at is going to run you $950-$1150, way too much for the limited amenities). Many of the apartments north of the 94 have quick access to it, so that would be good since you will be traveling a lot. I have included the following links for you...
IMM Apartments Bismarck, ND
Goldmark Apartments
BisMan Online Bismarck Apartments
Bismarck Mandan Apartment Association
Thanks for the great information, I have a few questions that could be better answered through instant messenger, if you don't mind sending me an AIM with the same username as here (that goes for anyone who reads this thread).

I'll definitely check out those Pebble Creek apartments online. I'm planning on heading up there in a few weeks to get something nailed out. At this time, I'm probably going to check all the Goldmark and IMM buildings and see where it gets me.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 AM

180 posts, read 634,606 times
Depending on what you like to do, I'd look into something closer to downtown Bismarck / in the Kirkwood mall area where you can walk to bars, etc. which is nice. I lived in some appartments across the street from kirkwood mall. I don't remember what they were called but if you type this "bismarck nd East Arbor Avenue and 3rd street" into google maps, they'll be directly to the south west. The appartments there are very nice - have pool, central air, nice interiors, balcony, etc.

More importantly (at least for me) you can walk to restuaraunts, bars, a big grocery store, a supertarget target, a large mall (for ND), etc. Its also a five minute bike ride from Bismarck's trail system which is probably the nicest i've ever seen (and I've lived in alot of places). Once you get on that (paved) trail system, you're another 10 minutes from miles and miles of awesome mountain biking trails + some sandbars, etc. on the Missourie river. Its also very close to I-94 - via Bismarck Expressway / I-194 which will be good if you're travelling alot.

Who are you working for?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Depending on what you like to do, I'd look into something closer to downtown Bismarck / in the Kirkwood mall area where you can walk to bars, etc. which is nice. I lived in some appartments across the street from kirkwood mall. I don't remember what they were called but if you type this "bismarck nd East Arbor Avenue and 3rd street" into google maps, they'll be directly to the south west. The appartments there are very nice - have pool, central air, nice interiors, balcony, etc.

More importantly (at least for me) you can walk to restuaraunts, bars, a big grocery store, a supertarget target, a large mall (for ND), etc. Its also a five minute bike ride from Bismarck's trail system which is probably the nicest i've ever seen (and I've lived in alot of places). Once you get on that (paved) trail system, you're another 10 minutes from miles and miles of awesome mountain biking trails + some sandbars, etc. on the Missourie river. Its also very close to I-94 - via Bismarck Expressway / I-194 which will be good if you're travelling alot.

Who are you working for?

US Water Services. I'll be a field engineer doing technical sales/process engineering.

The Pebble Creek looked pretty nice and I noticed there appear to be several other apartment buildings located on the North side which fit my requirements. I didn't mention it before, but I spin house/breaks/dnb, so I'd like to find a place that tends to have a younger crowd so music at reasonable levels will be tolerated.

I was definitely thinking something closer to town as well. I'm glad you brought it up.

EDIT:

Bismarck Apartments : BismarckPride.com (http://www.strekonline.com/bismarck/apartments/index.htm - broken link)

I'm thinking about focusing my search to North East/West. Anything I'd be missing if I didn't? I noticed Mason had hardwood floors which I had figured would be hard to find in Bismarck (as opposed to Minneapolis) though I'd be sacrificing a balcony.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
We have a direct message feature on the forum if you're interested in personally corresponding with someone. Just click on their name. A box drops down~click on the option to direct message them.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I noticed Mason had hardwood floors which I had figured would be hard to find in Bismarck (as opposed to Minneapolis) though I'd be sacrificing a balcony.
The mason apartments are unique because like you said it's not a very common apartment building in Bismarck. There's another building on 3rd and Thayer/Broadway that is that same old style. But that building only has one bedrooms, and none of the apartments located downtown have balconies. I have seen one building that has a patio on the top of the building, but that was about it for downtown. Another thing with the buildings downtown is the way sound will carry from your music. Pebble Creek does have a adult/family feel to it so the music may be a problem there. I would suggest the apartments in NW Bismarck south of the Pinehurst shopping area off of the 94 and Divide/Tyler Parkway on the following streets: Xavier, W Owens, W Capitol, W Turnpike, both N and S Grandview, and Burnt Boat. All of these apartments are surrounding Bismarck State College so the majority of the residents are going to be in their 20's=more likely to not have a problem with the music. I don't remember all the names of the complexes in the area, but there was Bradbury (the only ones without balconies), Sierra, Garden Grove, and College Park. There's many more but I can't think of their names right now. About 90% of the complexes in that part of town are owned by Goldmark. Their site is having issues because I couldn't get any apartments to come up. In the following image the yellow pins are different apartment complexes in NW Bismarck. The green pins are amenities that surround the area.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:16 PM

Here's one more map. This is in response to ebitdadada's reply. This is the area they are talking about. This is a more established part of Bismarck, and with that comes a few complexes that I wouldn't consider. They are marked with red pins. Those marked with red pins are mostly lower income apartments and given your budget there would be no reason you would have to consider living in such complexes. Definitely stay away from the Burleigh County housing complex and the Washington Apartments. The apartments on Bismarck Expressway across form Perkins are also rather run down. Otherwise the apartments marked with yellow pins are all decent complexes to stay in. As with the other area I showed you, there is a lot of variety of things to do in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota