Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM

419 posts, read 1,397,134 times

Advertisements

The news of today's NWS outlook: Probability of significant Red River flooding rises | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

Comments Dan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
Hi

Yes, we are preparing. The big difference each year as we do this is the level of communication among all the various agencies is so much better. That is so unlike the 97 flood which devastated Grand Forks-East Grand Forks. A lot was learned from that, including issuing more probablistic type long range outlooks. There is no way to zone in one one number....there are many variable which make up a flood, a lot of which are the melt and how fast/slow and storms at the time.

But that said....we have had years and years of above normal pcpn and the ground is saturated. Severe heavy rainfall down in the Otter Tail county area and in the Lake Traverse area make any holding capacity less than in past years at Orwell and Lake Traverse. The weather pattern we are is all suggesting we will have an active and more story March-April period this year as opposed to last year which had a near perfect melt.

So, and I state this as my opinion only, that this year is looking very scary. I would not be surprised at all to see Fargo top over 43 ft.....and GF-EGF over 54-55 ft. I must stress this is my opinion, I dont have any inside info as mother nature decides the outcome. But going with the idea of a wet March-April would lend toward the 5 to 10 pct probability forecast verifying this year.

We will see....even withing the flood protection of EGF I have taken out FEMA flood insurance each of the past 3 yrs. I have a finished basement and a newer home and the 350.00 I pay for it is well worth it for piece of mind.

P.S. I must say the headline in the Forum papers is horrible (at least the one at 2 pm on the web). It says flood forecaster says flood may come sooner this year.... not at all.... In the story the writer was saying we know more about conditions now than in past years...not that it will flood sooner.

--Dan

Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,808 times
What sort of guess would you give us here on the Sheyenne in Valley City?

As well as Devil's Lake levels?

We're looking at flood ins for the first time this year, but since our 100+ year old home is in the 100 year floodplain, it's gonna be pretty spendy.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 PM

Yikes, Dan--that's a bit on the scary side. We did buy flood insurance in '09, and I'll urge my husband to consider it again. We're protected by the permanent **** just south of downtown, but if there was a break we aren't sure that the 114 year old foundation could withstand impact. It's got to fill all of Island Park before we're affected by water slowly creeping up (instead of a torrent).
The reassuring thing in Fargo is that, having learned from the GF/EGF experience in '97, they've pretty well completed protection of the water & sewer facilities to 45'.
Keep us posted, will ya?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
Yikes, Dan--that's a bit on the scary side. We did buy flood insurance in '09, and I'll urge my husband to consider it again. We're protected by the permanent **** just south of downtown, but if there was a break we aren't sure that the 114 year old foundation could withstand impact. It's got to fill all of Island Park before we're affected by water slowly creeping up (instead of a torrent).
The reassuring thing in Fargo is that, having learned from the GF/EGF experience in '97, they've pretty well completed protection of the water & sewer facilities to 45'.
Keep us posted, will ya?
I would prepare for at least a 2009 flood....It would take a lot to keep the water below 40ft.... my gut tells me 42-43 ft just because of the pattern we are in and the increased threast for stormy weather come late winter/spring. Now if we have a perfect melt like 2010 then below 40 ft would be possible, but bets are toward the first stormier scenerio right now. That is just my opinion as a forecaster who has been here for 12 yrs.

So I would say if you got it in 09 I would get it this year. My two cents.

I do know the city of Fargo has done more and more each year to protect areas. stay tuned.

--Dan

Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
What sort of guess would you give us here on the Sheyenne in Valley City?

As well as Devil's Lake levels?

We're looking at flood ins for the first time this year, but since our 100+ year old home is in the 100 year floodplain, it's gonna be pretty spendy.
How did your area fair in 2009....I would say there is a decent chance for 2009 levels which was a record....just over 20 ft there in VC. Problem is so much water upstream on the Sheyenne all year so Baldhill can only drawdown so much for storage. If you weren't in your house in 09 ask your neighbors.

As for Devils Lake...the going forecast is for a 2.5 to 3 ft rise this year....due to excessive moisture and snow. Not good for Devils Lake at all nor Minnewaukan. State water commision folks are preparing for about 1454.5 to 1455 ft lake level this summer.

--Dan

Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Default deadline to buy FEMA flood insurance nears!

Here is a story in the Fargo Forum regarding FEMA flood insurance. I encourange anyone who is flood prone to purchase it. There is a 30 day waiting period...so advice is to purchase it by Feb 15th....as the main flood time is in that March 25th through April 10th period.

Deadline to buy flood insurance draws near | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

I live in a town protected by flood control (East Grand Forks) and I still buy it as we have a full basement and too much too loose just in case.

--Dan

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,808 times
2009 was not good, here, tho now that the town sewer system has been all worked on, hopefully we don't have to worry about porta potties again. ;oD

Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,311 times
something to keep in mind is that the flood insurance does not cover much for stuff that is below the ground level. So if you have a split level home or a full basement, A LOT of stuff is not covered down there.

As a side question, I am thinking of getting a backflow preventer put in, and was recommended as a backup to that to get a sluice gate put in in case the backflow preventer fails.

How likely is that to happen? I have a neighbor who has a sluice gate only, but I thought that maybe doing a backflow preventer would work better in case something happens and we are not home?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 AM

DaninEGF--
Once again looking to you for an answer:
From this morning's flood outlook:
The Red River in Fargo has a 20 percent chance of reaching 41.2 feet, up from last month’s prediction of 40.7 feet.

If the current amount of melting has no impact on lessening the flood levels, where is all that water currently going? Of course, the local media isn't expalining it terribly well.
Are we looking at Feb/March moisture replacing all that current runoff and then some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota