Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 PM

23 posts, read 87,883 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info. about Grafton, such as jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I don't know about jobs but here is the Demographics on Grafton.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
I live in the Grand Forks area...just south of Grafton about 30 miles. The best advice is to check and contact Job Service of North Dakota. There is a branch office in Grafton....the website lists job openings they have. I do know there is a Marvin Windows in Grafton....the main company located in Warroad MN.

Job Service North Dakota - Job Service Locations (http://jobsnd.com/jsnd/jobsnd/grafton - broken link)

http://www.ndworkforceconnection.com...=&zip=&radius=

Job Search - Marvin Windows and Doors

Here are the job openings is has listed at its place. These may not be all the jobs avbl....but most employers looking for hirings will post on their site.

Grafton is a small city...not in the boondocks....but still the smaller the place the more limited job opportunities are. But it is a nice town. I have driven through a few times. It is in the Red River valley...though on the western edge....so the landscape is pretty flat with agriculture being the most important aspect to the area. Sugar beets....potatoes and wheat are grown. It is a safe...small town atmosphere and close enough to Grand Forks for a trip in for shopping.

Dan

Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 AM

For job info I would also try the JobsHQ link at the local Grand Forks Herald which serves the Grafton area too.

JobsHQ | Your headquarters for hundreds of local jobs - including newspaper listings from four states - MN, ND, SD, WI.

City website....there are housing incentives there if you build a house in town.

http://www.graftongov.com/

Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the job search advice. Do you what the housing is like in Grafton? Or would we be better off looking for housing outside of Grafton? We are looking to rent a house with a garage, i suppose if we could build or buy for a reasonable price we might consider that.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post

City website....there are housing incentives there if you build a house in town.

City of Grafton, North Dakota -- Welcome!
Sheeshhhh, looks like I "missed it by that much." My lot is just a few miles away of Grafton. The home I'm planning on constructing will probably only cost around 25K to build, 30K tops. I could have almost had a free home!

Of course, I don't know what lots are going for there. Mine was very reasonable. Oh well...

Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty3047 View Post
Thanks for the job search advice. Do you what the housing is like in Grafton? Or would we be better off looking for housing outside of Grafton? We are looking to rent a house with a garage, i suppose if we could build or buy for a reasonable price we might consider that.
Rental single family homes will be very very tough to find in a town such as Grafton. Homes for rent are not very common in ND to begin with. But there might be a couple. As for buying a home, I would check the MLS listings, which can be found from a number of real estate company websites including...

Ourhomesite.com

This will get you the MLS listings for all of northeastern ND. From the main menu you select small town ND then the town you want -- Grafton.

As in most small towns....your selection of avbl homes to buy will not be great, especially over the winter months as listings are less than in the summer. To give you some idea of what is listed.....1940 updated home in town of Grafton 1860 sq ft detached 2 car garage for about 70k taxes 1296.

For the rental market....I strongly encourage you to contact the listing company given in the link to see what they know. In these smaller towns, that is the way to go as you will find very little doing web searches. You must talk to local folks.

Park River ND is a town of similar size just west of Grafton a bit and is another very nice town....almost I dare say a bit nicer than Grafton. So that is another option. But Park River would be a bit farther drive to get to Grand Forks for shopping, etc. When I say shopping, these towns have the basics but if someone is used to a walmart-target, etc place then you got to go to a larger city.

Dan

Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 AM

10 posts, read 40,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Sheeshhhh, looks like I "missed it by that much." My lot is just a few miles away of Grafton. The home I'm planning on constructing will probably only cost around 25K to build, 30K tops. I could have almost had a free home!

Of course, I don't know what lots are going for there. Mine was very reasonable. Oh well...
would love to find out some info as to specifics on the home you are building for $25-$30K. We are looking to build and just wondering about your deal.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm4621 View Post
would love to find out some info as to specifics on the home you are building for $25-$30K. We are looking to build and just wondering about your deal.
me too!!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm4621 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty3047 View Post
me too!!
Well, I don't think it's something most people would be interested in actually doing. Let me start by saying that I require very little living space; in fact, I want as little as possible (while still being livable, of course, and being a "real house") to pay for, heat and maintain. My idea of an ideal home size is about a century behind times. Also, I'll be doing most of the construction myself, which will save a substantial amount of money.

The home plan can be seen here: tumbleweedhouses <dot> com. It's the model called the "Loring" (just click on it on the main page). I LOVE this design. I've made a couple of minor design changes for myself. And it clocks in at a whopping 261 sq ft! But... that's plenty for my needs. And I think it would be plenty for a like-minded couple, as well. Cheap to heat; cheap to maintain; easy to keep clean; inhibits me from collecting any junk I think I need, but I really don't!

If you look at the designs there at tumbleweed, you'll find very tiny homes on wheels (at 65 sq ft) up to "real homes" of about 874 sq ft--which by my standards would be a palace; far too much space for me. I'm a huge fan of this home designer. His philosophy and aesthetic sensibilities match mine in a lot of ways. If you really are interested in small homes at small prices, PM me. I have a bunch of links to builders and designers who concentrate on tiny and small homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota