Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,355 times

Advertisements

Well Ive been looking around the forums as of late, soaking up information and researching the possibility of moving to ND, most likely Willitson or the surrounding areas, for obvious reasons. Life in NY is pretty much non-enjoyable, and me and the girlfriend have seriously considered hitting the road

She's 20, IM 22 myself. Ive got 3 years as a heavy machinery mechanic, and she takes care of files and paperwork for the local law firm. I was wondering if anybody could lend advice as to how much "reserve" money we should scrounge up before moving. We dont want to be out there 1 month and have to come back because were broke. We're prepared to work wherever for whatever $ as soon as we get there, until better offers come along.

So how much do you think we'd need for about 3 months, including the minimal income we could get from WalMart, McD's etc? And I know its been asked a million times, but Id like to stay in the mechanical field, and Ive heard from a few people that it should be fairly easy for me to find something. Just looking for opinions, advice, suggestions, whatever you guys have. You've already been a huge help. We're excited and nervous about starting a new life, hopefully in a higher tax bracket lol. Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention we were planning on coming up around June-July? Is that a good time to move, other months/seasons better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 AM

17 posts, read 101,386 times
Take a look at Butler Machinery (Cat Dealer) they are always lookig for mechanics and they have locations throughout ND/SD.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 AM

155 posts, read 421,158 times

Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
The cost of living in the patch is sky high. I am in Jamestown. Cost of living is low, BUT there are plenty of jobs. As someone stated Heavy Mechanics are in huge demand. Other than Butler (which is a good company), I can also direct you to someone I know who runs a trucking company that operates in the patch, but has his truck work done here at his own shop. VERY busy.

Finding a job for your wife probably wouldn't be all that hard either.

Just PM me if you want further info.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,594 times
Really take a look at Butler Machinery. On their careers page they list 11 open positions, most of them for heavy duty mechanics or ag equipment mechanics, at their Bismarck location alone.
I once had the opportunity to talk w/ the senior Mr. Butler at a fundraising event. We were chatting & I mentioned that I had a nephew who was in the Marines training to be a tank mechanic. Butler immediately interjected with, "How soon does he get out?"
They really need trained people.

In addition, most municipalities are looking for heavy equipment mechanics because they're losing folks to the oil fields.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,355 times
Like I said, I've been told theres a lot of hiring for mechanics and the like. How much would I be looking at as far as a paycheck? Just trying to see if its worth leaving home and work here. we're thinking about moving to either minot or dickinson for a little while before we go headstrong into williston. Btw ill have my license by the time we go, but I might have a couple points on it. What kind of effect will that have on employment/insurance/CDL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota