Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 PM

73 posts, read 175,998 times

Advertisements

Hi, I kind of stumbled on to this sight and have been reading some of the posts and noticed it appears some of you are from Grand Forks and East Grand Forks.
My question is does anyone know where to find an inexpensive safe apartment for a quiet college student?

My daughter will be attending Northland College in East Grand Forks this fall and I am trying to see what is available out there. This campus does not have dorms and my daughter is the quiet, shy non drinking kind of kid so its hard to just have her live anywhere.

I wish there was a grandma who would want to rent a basement or something as that would be perfect for her.

I am having trouble trying to come up with someone who could possibly be her roomie as we do not know anyone there as this will be her first year this fall.

Any suggestions would be helpful and welcome.

Last edited by ndgrrl; 03-29-2012 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Looking for an apartment on the East Grand Forks side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,290,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgrrl View Post
Hi, I kind of stumbled on to this sight and have been reading some of the posts and noticed it appears some of you are from Grand Forks and East Grand Forks.
My question is does anyone know where to find an inexpensive safe apartment for a quiet college student?

My daughter will be attending Northland College in East Grand Forks this fall and I am trying to see what is available out there. This campus does not have dorms and my daughter is the quiet, shy non drinking kind of kid so its hard to just have her live anywhere.

I wish there was a grandma who would want to rent a basement or something as that would be perfect for her.

I am having trouble trying to come up with someone who could possibly be her roomie as we do not know anyone there as this will be her first year this fall.

Any suggestions would be helpful and welcome.
Make sure she stays away from the downtown area...cheap apartments but I've heard it is really rowdy down there at night. I wouldn't want my kid living downtown. I work downtown, and I can't tell you the times I've picked up beer bottles and debris outside the law office....discusting.

I would check in Grand Forks, or keep your eyes peeled for apartments in paper. Grand Forks Herald, online too. Often their are rooms to rent in private houses for students. Sundays are the best days for adds. Have you checked w/ the school?? They might have leads. My Son's attend that school. The office staff are very personable and helpful. Maybe call and share your concerns w/ admissions.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open....let me know and I can check the areas you find. I have young adult children myself....2 live w/ me cause it is pretty expensive these days. There are a couple others on here (regulars) that may be able to chime in also.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:36 AM

Thanks Jan for the information.

Northland did send me a paper with some apartments listed on it in the NW part of East Grand near the campus. I called a place called Brentwood Estates 410 1 7th ave NW and Century Apartments 1916 5th Ave NW. The gal at Century told me Brentwood is not the best apartments as she used to party there herself as a student. So hmmmm....

I think I am just in "sticker" shock at the cost of the apartments. Up until a month ago I did section 8 low income housing for my county and our rentals are much cheaper but then again I am in a tiny lil town near not alot.

I have been looking over in East Grand as she is not much of a driver yet. We live in such a tiny town I swear you could drive down the street backwards and no one would notice but the old lady tail gaiting you. HA HA- Well maybe not that bad but she has yet to learn how to drive in traffic.

Do your sons like Northland? I understand totally why they would live at home as housing seems to be as costly as the tuition. Do they know any girls who may need a roomie next year?

I will buy a paper this weekend and see what is available out there- I have been googling a few addresses to see how far some places are.

Do you know the address of the "uptown" you told me about? I want to be sure to just cross those off my list.

Do you know anything about Country Estate Apartments - 2134 8th Ave NW- East Grand?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM

I'll check these out. And there is at least one downtown, right next to my offices that has a on-site manager, locked entry etc. I have chatted w/ him. I'll check w/ the mgr next time I see him outside. The apartments are kind of expensive here, depending on where. I'll have my sons keep an ear out re: needed roomie.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,028,576 times
Hi

I live in east grand forks....

Here is the link for century apartments....actually it is 5th Ave NE....

Home

That area would be a great area to live if there is something avbl. I dont know about the folks there, parties, etc....but wouldnt be surprised if many northland folks live there. It is very close to campus and very close to hugos too....withing walking distance of both. Also across from park.

Dan

Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Thanks

HI,

Thanks Dan and Jan for the information. If you hear anything else please let me know

I have another question for anyone out there near Hazen or Beulah who would know of a decent priced apartment that does not require more than a 3 month lease?

I have a son graduating from BSC and got an internship for the summer and will be needing a place in one of those towns.

Two kids needing two apartments in two diff states, hours from home is gonna be the death of me. HA..

TY

Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgrrl View Post
HI,

Thanks Dan and Jan for the information. If you hear anything else please let me know

I have another question for anyone out there near Hazen or Beulah who would know of a decent priced apartment that does not require more than a 3 month lease?

I have a son graduating from BSC and got an internship for the summer and will be needing a place in one of those towns.

Two kids needing two apartments in two diff states, hours from home is gonna be the death of me. HA..

TY
I will drive by those apartments this weekend that you asked about.

Can your Son continue to live where he is for school since it is an internship?? It is about 40 miles from Bismarck as recall. I know very little about Buelah Hazen area....other than what I've seen in the papers https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...post23644873on this forum. Here are a couple of links... http://www.hazennd.org/edclinks.php http://www.beulahnd.org/chamber_commerce.htm http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/ND-Beulah.html

About the apartments in Grand Forks or East Grand Forks MN area. The places you might want would become available after school is out this spring...and usually the college students come back in Aug. So you have a bit of a window to check and find something. I would plan a trip down here to look around if it were me. Nothing like seeing things yourself. EGF MN http://www.thatrentalsite.com/For-Re...-Forks-MN.html http://www.apartments.com/Minnesota/East-Grand-Forks
Grand Forks N.D. tons of links, incl a review page. http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...and-Forks.html
multiple apt. links http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...-North-Dakota/ http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=Grand+Forks+N.D.+rentals

Last edited by JanND; 03-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Jan,

My son is currently living in the dorms right now but graduates from BSC. So far he has gotten an intership for the summer but we are crossing our fingers he can get on full time at one of the power plants. The power plant he is going to be interning at is located an hour from Bismarck.

I am thinking this summer I will head down and take a look at Century apartments as they should have something open by then. I am not wanting to pay rent for her too early as 600 a month with utilities is not gonna be easy to do before she can get some help paying with finacial aide loan.

I see a few others listed on the paper the school sent out but have not heard anyone even talk of them. There are a couple individuals who have apt for rent as well but don't think I should post their names on this forum as they may not be happy with me if I do. HA
Do you know anything about Country Estate Apartments at 2134 8th Ave NW.. East Grand?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Do you know anything about Country Estate Apartments - 2134 8th Ave NW- East Grand?
Sorry, I know nothing first hand about any apartments. I've not lived in any apartment complexes in GF or EGF. All I can offer is links, and rumors about some areas if you ask.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Thanks Jan for all the advice. Let me know what you think if you happen to go past them or if your son's hear of anything.

Tammy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota