Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 PM

175 posts, read 459,789 times

Advertisements

[4/24/2012] I woke up at 06:30 hitting my snooze half a dozen times or so. I started my drive ~07:00 needing to be at the office at 8 o'clock. So I got there about 15 minutes early, a rarity for me. Usually I try and be someplace at the specified time, early only by a few mintues. I walk into the office and am greeted by two friendly guys, SC1 and JO, and 2 other new hires. First order of business... paperwork. As it turns out everyone did theirs via email and sent it straight into the head office.

Next step: road test. Only been 4.5 months since I last stepped foot into a tractor trailer. Apparently we all have to do a pre-trip and a short drive down the road a little... I was going to say 'around the block' but there was none, LOL. Apparently we were all to do the pre-trip at the same time. The other two new hires had 20+ years of experience between them, had applied online, and just arrived yesterday. Me? Pretty green, about 10 hours of actual street driving... no worries But I did remember the pre-trip and rattled off one thing after another in the engine compartment.... and that's about as far as we got. The conversation changed topics and never came back to pre-trip... Okay, onto the road test. So SC1 took me aside for a moment and asked what kind of equipment I used in Alaska...

Quote:
Me: A 5-speed.

SC1: We have 10 and 13-speeds. These Kenworths we're testing on are 13's. Any experience with them at all?

Me: I saw a Youtube video [on shifting 18-speeds].

Both: (chuckles)

SC1: This'll be interesting. Ride along with new hire for the test and watch first.
Let's look at what the school said: "Always double-clutch. Never float the gears."
Road Tester (SC2): "Always float the gears! Never double clutch!" (0 exp with that)

Let's add to this pile... 13-speed. There's different shifting patterns. For the 13 speed it is 'Lo', 1-4, 1st-Hi, split 1st, 2nd-Hi, split 2nd, etc. Until you split 4th gear. 'Hi' and 'splitting' are two switches on the stick. After going through the first 4 or 5 the switch on the front of the stick is flipped up as it travels from the 4th position to 1st. There is another switch on the side of the stick that is flipped while the stick stays in whatever position its at and the throttle is de-/increased to change gears. Sounds easy... except changing gears is nothing like a manual transmission in a car and you're driving a vehicle that's 11+ tons heavier unloaded than a regular car. Miss a gear and come into an intersection too hot. Not good. Hence my -ness and why I drive like a granny in the truck (unlike my hotrod, quick shifting, style in my little Saturn).

Needless to say the road test was less than impressive... for shifting. I basically controlled the steering, gas, brake, and signalling. My hand was on top of the shifter to learn the feel. So I "passed" but required additional training. I went out with this guy MI who just happens to hate driving truck LOL. Actually he's a nice guy. (Everyone has been real nice and respectful. Some trash talking on the radio but after the day is done it's all good and everyone is smiles... so far. )

So I go back to the office and grab my car. They have a little "housing" setup nearby. I get a temporary room which I though was permenant at the time. Wish it was... I got wifi there. They are in the same location as some tire recycling company so this fine black dust gets over everything. They converted three old reefer vans into housing. They have TV, fridges and microwaves. Most of the vans have been split into three rooms and each sleeps two. One van sleeps six (my temp room) but only has one person there. It has a kitchen, living room and bedroom with sliding door. They have two shower and laundry setups. (I have yet to use anything LOL 3 days later. I did on the 4th though. )

Then we went out to somewhere west of Stanely... and I think Tioga too. We were hauling clay and class 5 to make (or repair) 72nd-something Ave./St. out in the boondocks. MI was driving a belly dump and I sat beside listening to his advice and instructions.... they seem to contradict almost everything my class instructor had told me. So after grabbing the clay I drove to the highway... with difficulty. Then MI took over. I drove again on the back roads. It was pretty rough going. Basically throwing me in the deep end is like trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Eventually you can get the information in with great effort... while I try to not hit anything, stay centered in my lane in this huge vehicle which I'm still not accustomed to, watch my mirrors, listen to (and incorporate) your advice, and shift. LOL, I just recalled another one:

Class Instructor: "Watch your mirrors more. You should scan them once every 7 seconds. More in special situations."
MI/SC2: "What's out in front of you is more important than what's behind you."

There was repeated information on RPM fall per gear... speed matching, etc. Didn't really fall on deaf ears... preoccupied brain. End of day one driving: great strides in upshifting, downshifting blows, training the next day.

So that essentially was my first day. We can throw filling out daily paperwork (aside from the pre-trip) on top of everything else, how to dump a load without burying yourself (which as of today, 4/26, I've done 3x)... Let's throw in a few more 's for good measure. I got to drive into Minot on Rt. 2. To give you an idea where we were somewhere there was a sign that said Minot 80 miles. We got back at ~21:00, setup my bunk and went to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
If nothing else, you sound like you are having fun. That's the key.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 PM

[4/25/2012] Every morning we're suppose to meet in a breakroom to get our daily tasks. Apparently it hasn't happened lately and today is a late start. I got to lay down again... almost for an hour. We finally started the day at 08:30. The project is to ready half of our "partner" company's yard to hold frac sand storage tanks and just make it driveable instead of the pond/quick-mud that it is. Eventually we're going to share the facility... not yet though. Apparently that was why we started late because two frac sand silos are slightly tipping being setup on the ground as-was. So we're hauling a lot of 3" concrete and recycled asphault... maybe something else too... to make it better.

I drove with MI by my side. Some progress made but not much. I pre-tripped the truck... no fire extinguisher! no triangles! Out of the three trucks "ressurected" only one has triangles and a fire extinguisher... that needs a recharge! No left turn signal on either trailer. MI indicates it's what we're stuck with. WTH? So after the first trip MI gets a call and needs to train a new hire in the afternoon. (Apparently also applied online and just drove out here too. )

Quote:
MI: "So Nolan, you comfortable to drive now?"
Me: "Well I'm better... not sure I'd say comfortable."

Goes back and forth for a bit. Point being I know he wants me to take the plunge so I eventually agree.

MI: "You're licensed for doubles right?"
Me: "Yup."
MI: "Good. Pre-trip that truck over there."
Me:
MI: "It's a ten speed."
Me: (A new shift pattern to learn)
MI: "People hate these Peterbuilts. They're not as forgiving as the Kenworth's
Me:
I pre-trip the other truck... move the triangles and fire extinguisher for aesthetics to that one. *sigh* Why is my air alarm still on? Secondary at 0 psi. Primary at 100 psi. 'SC1, why is this so?' Turns out for whatever reason (a leak probably) that the trailer brakes needed to be flipped on so the tractor could charge... then open them so the trailers could. (It is suppose to be a closed system so it shouldn't matter. ) 'SC1, rear dumper won't open.' So then about an hour is spent finding a replacement valve because SC1 broke the manual lever off.

More trucking info: The brakes are run by air. The dumping mechanism on the trailers are also run by air. The same set of compressors on the tractor charge the whole thing. In the event of a trailer breaking loose or air lines becoming detached and leaving a trailer without brakes, since 1975, the brakes are designed so that if pressure is lost they are applied. Essentially I was told to charge the trailer I need to apply the trailer brakes (evacuate the system) and charge the tractor first. Then open the lines.... some how this works.

I go out and eventually make it to the pit looking something like in the cab. Then am redirected to another pit because... IDK but I'm not hauling 3" concrete. I'm getting the asphault. I make two runs. Horrible. In addition of trying to find gears I missed twice. Upshifting even. I had to pull to the side (luckily there was a shoulder each time) and start from a complete stop. I'm wondering how long I have 'til they ax me.

Miscellanous other things to round out the day: met the new hire. We're roommates. My new room has no wifi... although I'm about 10' from my other bed. Maybe it's because there's two metal boxes it has to travel through. I found out each truck is suppose to get their own paperwork from the pit... oops. Bed time.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 AM

45 posts, read 86,227 times
Wow dude I'm stoked that you got your job and you're giving out solid updates...way cool man. I'm arriving June 5th. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 AM

Yup. Despite what it might sound like, so far I am having fun.

[4/26/2012] Same project. Something clicked today. So much so in the six trips I made (weights ranging from 79,800 - 83,500 lbs... first day alone ) I started trying to change stuff up and see how the truck reacted... shifting at a higher RPM, different speeds, etc. I still can't officially downshift correctly. It is counter-intuitive. I'm going down a hill towards a stop light. I press the brake to slow down and get to a good RPM. Now I press the gas to float into neutral and then rev it slightly to raise the RPM so I can float into the next lowest gear. Uhhh?!? I press the gas when I want to slow down? So, what I'm doing... I clutch to neutral and then "properly" float the second part of the downshift. I can "properly" float down when going uphill. It's also easier with jake brakes on the flats and downhills but mine don't work. You don't have to flip your foot from the brake to the gas , the jakes handle the brake part for you.

More trucking info: Jake brakes use exhaust gases to provide added resistance to the engine and help slow you down. They are activated by a switch in the cab and only work when the clutch or accelerator are not depressed.

Pre-trip today revealed what turned out to be a snapped stud and more difficulties with the rear dumper. The dumper seemed to magically fix itself. I determined this after dumping asphault on the ground where it wasn't suppose to be by following the directions I was told by SC1. The former I was told by SC2 to go out as we're allowed one dumby stud and he didn't have the tools to fix them. (I found out the next day dumby stud = "Sorry officer, I had no idea. It was fine this morning." )

Let's see some other things I've heard:

Quote:
MI: "Deal with leaks. It's a part this deal."
(Air brake leak down test failure.)

NH: "My tire barely has any tread on it."
MI: "We're not replacing tires unless we have to."
NH: "They're suppose to have 2/32 of an inch."
MI: "Unless they're cut or blown they aren't being replaced until we move."
(DOT violation)

Me: "Where are the extra fuses kept?" (1 of 3 required safety items)
MI: "Wherever the last driver put them."
(Another violation)
Turns out SC1 is the owner of the company... Yes that is right I told the owner I learned how to shift an 18-speed on Youtube. He seems to want the trucks in order though which is nice. Just wish the mechanics were on the same page. SC2 seems to be, just overworked. MI not so much... from the phone conversation I just overheard with his wife... he's stressed: job, family, bills. At least I know where it's coming from. No excuse though for sherking repairs. If drivers want a paycheck though we need to drive. We can't sit, get paid, and wait on repairs. Can't say that I'm too comfortable with that. It's not like I'm eager to get a ticket my first day, week, month driving. SC1 says the ND DOT hasn't really cracked down on anything besides weight..... yet. The 'yet' part will change though. I'm hoping everything will be in order before then. He also said we should see some of the equipment being run "out there." I can't imagine what he's referring to... cracked leaf springs? , cracked frames? At least the trucks here aren't that bad.

The cracked stud on my post-trip... whatever SC2 did w/o the proper tools... seems fixed. I can't find it anymore. But MIL light (check engine) came on 9x today... 5x yesterday, mysterious air tank behavior (drops 10-15 psi with accelerator down ), oil temp gauge doesn't work, jakes don't work... oh yes... MI: "Jakes are a luxury." (a.k.a. bottom of the list, don't bother asking), funny dumper behavior. I'm sure there's more I haven't discovered yet. I haven't learned the cockpit completely on this tractor. That's one more thing to add to the "deep end"... three different cockpits in two days. Once I'm used to... at least... one aspect of the job it gets easier. Put me in a different model truck now and I'd be okay. Just a bit overwhelming initially.

And then I got my paperwork for today... had the other driver on there too. And he's coming for another load. So much for every driver gets their own. Well one more thing in the learning curve. Only difficult thing I have now shifting is sometimes during fast acceleration in 1st-5th gear (0-15mph) from a stop. Slow, no problem. Fast... I think I'm just not quick enough to apply pressure to float the stick to neutral and get into a high RPM where it won't come out without the clutch.

Okay my bed is calling me. I didn't review my posts as thoroughly as I normally do for continuity, etc. so feel free to ask questions, critique, etc. I don't have fears of being axed anymore. They were only in my head anyway.

Aside: Last two days (4/27-4/28) not much has happened because of the rain. I probably an get a post out of it tomorrow if things are slow again. Several of the guys have congratulated me for making it. I lost the look. I am more comfortable in the truck. I was suppose to go to Canada this past Friday... looks like someone didn't unload containers and we're waiting 'til Monday. At least I have a project... could be days before the yard is hard enough for the trucks to drive on it again. It's much better than before but we'll still get stuck.

If you're wondering why I was all 'ed out. Taking a 20-hr class was a great disservice I did to myself. A "normal" CDL class can be 160+ hrs. Unfortunately $3,000 was all I could afford (oh... I mean available on my credit card ) and that's what it bought me. About 10-12 hrs was actual street driving. The rest was pre-trips, backing, and very little added info that I asked about and studied beforehand (logging correctly and chaining). I took the test early my last day. I didn't see any point in prolonging the agony and 2 hrs of practice was not going to bring about any epiphanies. So I never got to train on the bigger truck they had. Here in ND being thrown from one truck, learning a little then being thrown into another and having to learn things all over again while still trying to get shifting down.... (a.k.a. being in control of the vehicle). Well I wouldn't recommend it to anyone lol... I wouldn't want to redo it that way again... but it worked out in the end.

Last edited by robione; 04-29-2012 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: added 'and studied beforehand'

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,395 times
WOW!!! Glad your getting the hang of it, but just WOW from me on a couple different levels.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Glad you like your job. But, Yeah. Wow from me too. Sort of surprised that a trucker w/ no experience is allowed to just learn by doing. Seems pretty risky given all the accidents. Is that the norm, w/ CDL permits? Car license permits require a licensed driver riding along. CDL's don't? I've also heard some negatives about jake brakes....scares the cattle alot. Would sure like to hear some experienced truckers thoughts on this.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM

454 posts, read 940,105 times
Thanks for the updates robione - glad to know it's going pretty good so far. I had the 'WOW' thing going on as well while I was reading your updates, especially in regards to the amount of experience vs what they will expect you to do right out of the gate. Sad to hear about the sub-par equipment some companies are running as well - makes a person wonder about every big truck they meet on the road.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 AM

If it makes anyone feel better I'm a safety freak. One of the things drilled into my head from school was, "A truck is not a car and can't be driven like one." That is true on so many levels. Everything that is done in a car is done differently (in some manner) in a truck... down to signalling, which is probably the one thing least changed between the vehicles. (You signal much earlier.) If anyone pays attention to their instructor in school, they really should not get into an accident on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
... I had the 'WOW' thing going on as well while I was reading your updates, especially in regards to the amount of experience vs what they will expect you to do right out of the gate. ...
Yeah, that was part of the -factor too, lol. At the end of day 1 I mentioned to them I just need an hour in the yard to get it down. Didn't happen... not sure why. Guess they like the deep-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
... Sort of surprised that a trucker w/ no experience is allowed to just learn by doing. ... Is that the norm, w/ CDL permits? Car license permits require a licensed driver riding along. CDL's don't? I've also heard some negatives about jake brakes....scares the cattle alot. ...
Everyone learns by doing. Usually not OTJ... (let's bring back the) . The one thing that is difficult for class A & B licenses is to get practice time. When I learned how to drive a car and motorcycle it was in an empty parking lot. You had access to a vehicle and can practice all you want and get comfortable. Doing that with a bus, straight truck or tractor trailer... not everyone has access to that. (And to rent time from the school, in Alaska anyway, is dang expensive ~$250/hr.)

I was told a CDL is a license to learn by several people. I kinda had the same experience with my motorcycle... but I also had a lot more practice. The motorcycle licensing exam can be done pretty much without ever applying the throttle. And that's what I did.... practice in the DMV parking lot while the officer was doing a road test. Then I heard, "Do a left circle." and passed. So when I got to the street I was licensed. Was I a good capable driver initially? No. Am I today? Yes. TBH I've felt that way with any vehicle type I've driven.

453 accident free miles... every million-miler started at the same place.... 0.

Jan, I don't have a permit. I have my CDL. Permit holders do require a passenger that holds a CDL. I'm going to take a guess on the cattle. Jakes are good. They reduce brake wear (and hence maintenance costs). More importantly when going down hills decreased brake usage = decreased brake temperatures = less likely the driver will overheat brakes and have them fail. As far as bad points, they should not be used on ice or other slippery surfaces as they can induce a skid. It's a sudden and unexpected noise. That may be why they should not be used around cattle. They should not be used around and especially behind horses and horse drawn vehicles for the same reason.

Last edited by robione; 04-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: accident free mile sentence.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Robione, I so appreciate your taking the time to explain and answer some of my questions, it does help a lot. I see that as I have always suspected, you are a cut above the rest no matter what you are up too. Go to it....You'll be fine. Wish there were more like you up here. Really enjoy your newsy and informative posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota