Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 AM

50 posts, read 105,406 times

Advertisements

Are there any electronics jobs right now on par with the salaries they are making in the oil industry? I have no college education but 3 years experience with electronics (test data, soldering) thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 59,112 times
Electronics technician (E-Tech) oilfield services positions are frequently advertised on rigzone & jobsnd (ndworkforceconnection). Supposedly good money. Better in fact than some of the other oilfield services positions. At least based on what I've read. No specific salary numbers though. But I have seen hourly wages of $18-$25/hr posted on jobsnd. Lots of hours too. Supposedly. Probably would depend on the company.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
There are two groups of techs you fit into.

You are very likely a programmer. This is usually not advertised in the papers but is on boards like dice.com. This would involve programming DCS (Discrete Control System) to control pumps or compressors. However, you will need to know a programming language but most of this is done in Visual Basic now so you may be able to do some OTJ for simple systems.

You are very likely NOT an electrician or electrical tech based on your post. These positions are usually advertised in the papers and online. You need to have an apprentice or journeymans license to land terminals. You could be a construction electrical helper but the final terminations will have to be done by a licensed person. Most electricians are not fit to do industrial work. In the oil industry, when a certain wire diagram says this wire is to be terminated on this specific post, it has to be terminated on that post and that post only. We have had a lot of issues with electricians not being able to do this as in commercial/residential, it is not as big of an issue. Industrial programming and power cable can't allow for work arounds that commercial/residential have.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM

60 posts, read 156,838 times
I am an ETech working in the oil field for a fracking company out of Minot. The first company I worked for paid $18.00 an hour with overtime expected and averaged 80-100 hours a week. No rotation for time off and I quit. I made over $40K in five months. My most recent job is for another, better company and I make $24 an hour, expect the same amount of hours but have a 15 day on, 6 day off rotation. My background is in industrial electronics/automation. No degree required. Some hands on use of tools. Best to both submit online and then hand resume in person. Emphasis troubleshooting skills, IT skills, schematics reading etc.

Work in the field can be fast paced and demanding. But most of the time is spent monitoring radio and doing reports. Work in the shop is mostly preventive maintenance and equipment upgrades. I like it and consider it one of the better jobs on a fracking crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: