Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,562 times

Advertisements

So Im thinking about sending some of my trucks up into the Bakken to haul water and gravel. My first question out of the gate....What are all the owners/operators doing to get required services performed like oil changes, lube, DOT inspects, etc. Seems to me based on a recent drive around the state, there is NO place to get this stuff done outside of the major dealers in Bismarck and Minot(who I might add are 3-weeks behind in work)... Based on the man-camps, most of the trucks running up there are out-of-stater's with no dispatch yards or maintenance of any kind...

Before I send my trucks in, I wanna here whats actually the case up there....Are you changing your own oil in a wheat field

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxburner View Post
So Im thinking about sending some of my trucks up into the Bakken to haul water and gravel. My first question out of the gate....What are all the owners/operators doing to get required services performed like oil changes, lube, DOT inspects, etc. Seems to me based on a recent drive around the state, there is NO place to get this stuff done outside of the major dealers in Bismarck and Minot(who I might add are 3-weeks behind in work)... Based on the man-camps, most of the trucks running up there are out-of-stater's with no dispatch yards or maintenance of any kind...

Before I send my trucks in, I wanna here whats actually the case up there....Are you changing your own oil in a wheat field

Cheers!
I would take a good hard look at bringing any equipment here. There are owner operator trucks sitting everywhere. Things have slowed a bit and it's just enough to weed out the small guys. Owner ops are changing oil in wheat fields. Shops are 3 weeks behind and charge a premium. Take it from someone working in the oil patch everyday.....I'd wait til spring to come here. Rates are begin cut, contracts are being broken, some rigs are stacking out. It's not an ideal time to start a business here. To be honest you are two years too late. It may pick back up again in the spring but until after the election, it's going to be hit or miss. Mainly miss.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,562 times
Thanks for the responce. Not worried about work, got several good friends at Hess in Tioga that will support me there. My biggest thing is keeping my PM program going. If I have to bring a mechanic up there to do this stuff I will but, as everything, labor is expensive especially if I have to staff it from KY! Anyway, thanks again. Perhaps I will start up a mobile lube buisness and hit the man-camps. Bet the guys are tired of getting under truck in -40 degree weather...

Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxburner View Post
Thanks for the responce. Not worried about work, got several good friends at Hess in Tioga that will support me there. My biggest thing is keeping my PM program going. If I have to bring a mechanic up there to do this stuff I will but, as everything, labor is expensive especially if I have to staff it from KY! Anyway, thanks again. Perhaps I will start up a mobile lube buisness and hit the man-camps. Bet the guys are tired of getting under truck in -40 degree weather...
You know HESS is requesting rate reductions and minimizing their vendor list right... Nothing is a sure thing up here anymore. I'd bring a mechanic with you.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 PM

114 posts, read 355,571 times
kychlo

This is a dumb question from me but I want to make sure I understand, does what you posted mean Hess hires mechanics outside their own workforce to do work and the company is asking for cheaper hourly rates and also they are reducing the list of people that they will call to do work for them?

Just want to make sure I understand what was posted,the only time I had ever heard of Hess was a posting on here somewhere in the last few days that they were going to be doing more work in the Bakken.

I too have heard of more than a few truck drivers without any work all of a sudden within this last couple of weeks.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrickett View Post
kychlo

This is a dumb question from me but I want to make sure I understand, does what you posted mean Hess hires mechanics outside their own workforce to do work and the company is asking for cheaper hourly rates and also they are reducing the list of people that they will call to do work for them?

Just want to make sure I understand what was posted,the only time I had ever heard of Hess was a posting on here somewhere in the last few days that they were going to be doing more work in the Bakken.

I too have heard of more than a few truck drivers without any work all of a sudden within this last couple of weeks.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.
HESS (previously Amerada Hess) is one of the largest producers in ND. They are an operating company. Hess - Home HESS hires trucking companies to haul their products or build their locations. HESS is requesting rate reductions from it's contractors. If maxburner is planning on working for HESS in ND I was hoping he did his homework on what HESS is up to. They want to cut their well costs nearly in half. They have huge plans in ND (still) but they want to do it at a cheaper cost. All the operators are doing similar things. Trying to cut costs. In doing that some of them are cutting the number of vendors they allow to work for them. Owner operators are having a more difficult time if they aren't on with one of the "big boys".

I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 PM

114 posts, read 355,571 times
Thank you kychlo -

Very clear and well written, I hope a lot of the "researchers" on here read and re-read what you said. Goes in line with some of the stories I've heard in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrickett View Post
Thank you kychlo -

Very clear and well written, I hope a lot of the "researchers" on here read and re-read what you said. Goes in line with some of the stories I've heard in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers!
Glad to help (if I have actually helped anyone). Sometimes it's more of me venting. It's definitely a different "feel" lately in ND. Rig count below 200 for the first time since August 2011. Count in ND now at 198. Still a ridiculous amount of rigs but they have dropped since the high in May of 218. Most would love it if this boom turned into an "industry" but we all know how the good ol oil patch is, right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota