Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 PM

443 posts, read 806,735 times

Advertisements

I'm a long time lurker and a first time poster to city data. I grew up in NE Montana, a few hours West of Williston and currently drive truck out of Stanley, ND.
If you are considering living in a car/tent through a Northwestern ND winter please reconsider. While I recognize that the human species has made technological adaptations to live in extreme cold throughout history, those living in such conditions were not devoting 12-16 hours of their day to an employer. Survival in such situations relies on constantly tending a heat source, staying well fed and hydrated, and burning as few calories as possible.
Many of you may be in dire financial straits or just experiencing limited opportunity in your present situation. Moving to Williston is not going to solve anything. Money is only worth what it will buy. It won't buy something that is unavailable (in this case shelter).
Please read between the lines when the media portrays the ND oil patch as the land of opportunity for America's jobless. Midland/Odessa Texas, and Pennsylvania are experiencing similar activity-where is the media exposure? True, wages are a little higher here but so is the outflow. The companies want workers here, when they fill the open positions, expect wages to deteriorate (the old supply and demand thing).
If you don't have housing, wait until Spring. Be smart, stay warm, and stay with the ones you love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 10:25 PM

941 posts, read 1,916,147 times
That is real honest advice and thanks!! When we first started looking into going I would never have imagined sleeping in a car in winter, I mean "No way"!

But things have changed and when I looked into housing there it is really bad especially when you can't even get a hotel. But the darn temptation wins sometimes and people just have to be rebellios and do things we know we shouldn't, lol....I know why isn't the Texas getting as much attention? Everyone loves Texas, Lol....I looked into it and saw a lot of the same companies from ND but they all said wanted experience. And it's proximity to San Antonio seems like it would be way more competitive. Is anyone getting this as well? My husband wants the experience to eventually get a job in the Texas oil but meanwhile we are closer to ND and don't wanna go down that way.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 PM

I've read some of your previous posts. Like your husband, I fished out of Dutch back in the boom days. My working career has consisted in following the booms. I'm lucky in that this one is in my backyard so the unknown wasn't a factor.
I'd bet TX employers would take a chance on your hubby experienced or not.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:41 PM

287 posts, read 688,982 times
I'm thinking about living in a tent until I find an employer that provides housing. I want to do it and I'm going to do it. I would not put my life in risk. If I feel that I won't make it in a tent after a week or so, then I'll withdraw. But at least I'll try. Ursa22 do you know any good place to pitch a tent? Thanks for your advice anyway

Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM

You fished in Dutch? How long ago? Maybe I know you I was there from 1998 until 2009. I wish it was the same as before we would be there, my husband just does not want to go back there, he still has a open job invitation but he doesn't want ot go there anymore. I remember a lot of guys from Montana, most were from Montana, Washington and Oregon.

I will look more into the Texas Eagle shale. If I would have known before moving to Minnesota we were down that way we were in Mexico/California.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM

You're obviously tough enough to give it a try. If it were me, I'd go stealth. Stay out of the campgrounds and out of sight. Get out of the wind in a low spot in the brush. You can bank the sides with snow once it accumulates. Hopefully an employer recognizes your tenacity and finds you some shelter. Keep in mind, my advice is for those that aren't extremely confident in their abilities. You might pull it off.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:56 PM

I was out of Dutch in '85-88. Worked in Southeast from '88-92. -Lots of MT guys still up there, my brother among them.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:01 PM

287 posts, read 688,982 times
Thanks a lot Ursa. I'm an avid tent camper. Never done it in extreme cold but I know that with the right equipment and clothing , it is doable. To start , I'm looking to buy a tent called ARCTIC OVEN ,this type of tent is used a lot in Alaska , it is expensive but so is renting an apartment and I don't think I would find anything available anysoon.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 PM

Wow, you were there really during the boom time. When I got there everyone said it was dying out but to me it was huge, lol.....Did you crab when there? Is your brother fishing?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:12 PM

jaxteller-it is doable, but it's going to be tough. I get the sense that the city/cops are getting ready to crackdown- not so much to be a&&holes but to avoid liability, bad press, and/or being forced to provide services for the homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota