Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,122 times

Advertisements

HI my name is Larry and I'm so new to this, I'm a bit nervous on how this all works. I'm 47 and have been looking for work 5 years now.I have never been this long without a job in my life. I do home repairs , painting, gardening when I can get them.That's how I been surviving. I'm of just surviving ,I want to work. I need stability, something I can plan for.
Looking is and filling out Resume',applications is a full time job. I get interviews but I don't get the jobs. I feel I'm too old for the hard labor but I say.....BULL. I still can work just as good or better as a 20 year old if given the chance.I dont care if I have to down right grubby in the dirt nasty to get a job done, thats been my whole life.What hold me back is ,education I think. I have graduated and a diploma in high school. Perhaps I'm not the smartest man around but I learn really quick and I'm a hard worker,I'm open to learn new things.
So if anyone can steer me in the right direction on how this forum works and how to find a job I can get hired too , I would appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,088 times
I will tell you this, the best and probably the only way for you to find a job in North Dakota, is to be in North Dakota.

Listen EVERYONE is hiring all over the state. If funds are tight, look at Eastern North Dakota. More affordable living, but not the higher oil field pay you see in Western North Dakota.

If you have some basic skills, no bad criminal history, can drive, and show up for work on time. You WILL find work anywhere in North Dakota I PROMISE you that.

But you have to be here, no one is going to loan you money to get you to come here to work, or pay your way to get here. You would have to do that.

If anything you can start working for a temp agency when you arrive.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:52 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey196783 View Post
HI my name is Larry and I'm so new to this, I'm a bit nervous on how this all works. I'm 47 and have been looking for work 5 years now.I have never been this long without a job in my life. I do home repairs , painting, gardening when I can get them.That's how I been surviving. I'm of just surviving ,I want to work. I need stability, something I can plan for.
Looking is and filling out Resume',applications is a full time job. I get interviews but I don't get the jobs. I feel I'm too old for the hard labor but I say.....BULL. I still can work just as good or better as a 20 year old if given the chance.I dont care if I have to down right grubby in the dirt nasty to get a job done, thats been my whole life.What hold me back is ,education I think. I have graduated and a diploma in high school. Perhaps I'm not the smartest man around but I learn really quick and I'm a hard worker,I'm open to learn new things.
So if anyone can steer me in the right direction on how this forum works and how to find a job I can get hired too , I would appreciate it. Thanks
Larry,

Western Minnisota and Eastern North Dakota is the place to be. The wages are ok, there is factory work, inside work with steady pay checks. You will not get rich, but you will have a decent chance at weathering the looming down turn in the oil business. While there will be some pain here, more than some expect, the state still has 10 billion dollars worth of refineries to build, roads ans sewer systems and schools and so on that need building.

While the money is created on the farms and in the oil fields, it ends up in Bismarck and Fargo. Get here, go to work, live in a dive, save your money, endure a winter, then you can start making your choices.

Good luck

Qazulight (also good money in South East Texas, but the people are not as nice and crime is higher)

Old 12-05-2014, 08:49 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,088 times
News | Jamestown/Stutsman Development Corporation, North Dakota
We are desperate for workers in Jamestown

Did you know that the unemployment rate in Stutsman County is lower than the ND average at just 1.9%, with a total of 604 job openings? Click below to view the Labor Market Information Center's December 2014 Area Profile for statistics such as population characteristics, educational attainment, income and poverty, employers in the area and labor force for Stutsman County and North Dakota.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:10 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
I agree with what Corbay said. If you want to do blue collar labor, you'll fit in just fine in this state. I've been in Fargo for the past three years and the amount of construction and growth that has occurred all around me is just mind-blowing. I've never seen anything like it.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Companies can't find workers in NW Minnesota. Look up DigiKey, Arctic Cat, Central Boiler, Polaris, or Marvin Windows. They have factory line type jobs that are looking for able bodies with reasonable pay and good benefits.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:27 AM

350 posts, read 569,984 times
I'd recommend trying www.jobsnd.com, which is the North Dakota Job Service webpage. You can submit your resume to the site and apply for jobs within.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 36,642 times
Finding jobs in ND or NW Minnesota is not the difficult part. Finding a place to live is the hard part.

In the oil patch, housing is just so unaffordable. In NW Minnesota, specifically Thief River Falls, finding housing is difficult because the jobs don't pay enough to afford a decent place to live. DigiKey, while they have many jobs available, does not pay a high enough wage to ensure a good, comfortable place to live.

If DigiKey were in the Twin Cities, their wages would need to be much higher to attract workers. I view it as sort of their dirty little secret. They want to play up all their jobs and how they are a great asset to NW MN, but they don't want to pay their workers a wage that allows them to build a good life in TRF. It's almost like they want to pay people just enough to hire them on, and then make their workers totally dependent on them so that they can't quit.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,820 times
You wont have any trouble finding work anywhere along I-29.. We moved out here from Indiana 3yrs ago, after I got laid off and couldnt find work. We were all working 2 jobs within 1 week of being here, 1 fulltime and an extra part time, all 3 of us, and we weren't even in the city, we were in a small town. You can find cheap fixer upper houses in the small towns that are affordable. I paid 7k for mine. As I said it's a fixer upper but functional. That still exists here. You will fall into a groove here, it's not much different than anywhere else. The accent is a little different, that's about it, people are pretty nice around here. You will find work. If you want to work, and they will work you like a dog, all you can handle and then some. Marvin windows in Grafton is hiring right now. Grafton is a nice place to go, not too big not too small, but growing. About 5k people or so, about 35 mins to Forks, 15 mins to Park River, you will find work there without a problem.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:45 AM

7 posts, read 13,975 times
If you can do "blue collar" work you will find a job here. I live near Dickinson and if you can do basic home repair you can probably make a living just putting your name in the paper (mow lawns, basic electrical work--I'm talking install an outlet--painting houses, shovel snow). Lots of people out here don't have those skills OR don't have time to implement them--though they can afford to pay someone to do it if they could only find someone. I have a neighbor who bought a condemned house and 1/2 lot for $5000. Put $30,000 + sweat equity into it, and was offered $50,000 straight up for it...before it became un-condemned. If you are a licensed electrician/plumber you will have to beat customers off with a stick. If not there are lots of jobs. Wal-Mart advertises starting pay of $15-17/hour. McDonalds was starting people at $20/hr a couple years ago (though I think it has gone down some). There are several manufacturing facilities that are always looking for workers.

As someone else said, if you want to/able to work, don't have a serious criminal history, can pass a drug test, show up for work on time you will have NO PROBLEM getting and keeping a decent job in ND (a driver's license is also close to required unless you have a reliable "friend" to take you around--public transportation leaves a lot to be desired).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota