Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

Does North Dakota have alot of tornadoes like many parts of the country does? If so are the tornadoes in ND as strong as the tornadoes in Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and parts of the Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Yes, according to the more recent maps, No. Dak. is part of tornado alley. It seems more concentrated in the eastern part of the state though.

They are normally not the F-4s or F-5s (old scale, I know)that are seen in the southern parts of tornado alley.

It seems that flooding in some areas of the state is actually more of a disaster then the tornadoes are.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
North Dakota has a shorter severe weather season then the southern and central plains and thus the number of tornado and severe events such as hail and damaging winds will be lower. Overall tornadoes up here tend to be weaker and short lived compared to down south mainly due to the lack of extreme instability often seen down in the southern Plains. But large tornadoes do occur....look at the recent EF-4 at Northwood ND outside of Grand Forks, the first deadly tornado in ND since 1997. The last other F-4 Tornado was in Barnes county ND back in 2002. Lest not forget the last F-5 tornado rated in ND was in Fargo in 1957, which recently our NWS office in Grand Forks organzied a special 50th anniversary remembrance event.

Dan GF-EGF

Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Dan has always got such precise and accurate info and I'm sure we all appreciate it. Mopac, just so you now that his info will be totally on spot. He's a meteorologist in the area.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM

309 posts, read 365,077 times
Tornadoes DO occur in ND.....but like stated above.....not usually as big as further south or as long of a tornado season.
With that siad though.....some of the most severe and intense storms I have ever seen....were IN North Dakota though. They DO get some nasty ones up there....generally....throughout the summer months.
Great entertainment on the northern plains.....adds some excitement to the landscape!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Everything you might want to know about NoDak tornados:

NWS Bismarck, ND Tormado Information

Tornado alley:
Tornado Alley Maps and Information

If your afraid of tornados, I don't think you would want to live in Oklahoma.,)

Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
Hey everyone, we can't forget about the Tornado that hit Elgin, ND in Grant County. This one happend in 1978 and it killed 5 people. So they do hit the western part of the state from time to time.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
I was in the tornado in 1957----------awsome. However, as natural disasters go, it is the least of your worries. Not a big deal.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 PM

50 posts, read 220,544 times
Default Nasty Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post

If your afraid of tornados, I don't think you would want to live in Oklahoma.,)
I'm currently in Oklahoma and wanting to move to North Dakota. You're absolutely correct, MikeyToo... Tornado's are baaaaaad down here.

I grew up in California where there are earthquakes, lived in North Carolina where there are Hurricanes, and Oklahoma where there are Tornado's. I'd take an earthquake any day over the others.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 31,470 times
There actually have been several noteworthy tornadoes in North Dakota. As Dan mentioned, the Northwood and Barnes County tornadoes were very bad. The barnes county one twisted an I beam around a tree and moved a semi across a farm. I have friends in Northwood and it was bad. I have a bunch of friends who go to Northwood school. From what i heard the rumors are they get a new one i don't know for sure. One close to my home was in Mountain, ND on June 6 of 1999. It was an F4 i believe and mountain being only 10 minutes from here it was pretty scary. We have about 20 or so tornadoes a year in ND. The past few years have been pretty dry and so the numbers have been low. Good for the general population. Bad for chasers like myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota