Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,517 times

Advertisements

Hello, we're considering moving to Grand Forks if hubby gets accepted into UND. We're an older couple (mid-40s), both currently exploring mid-life new career opportunities. We are visiting GFK in June to get an idea of the area. We'd probably not move until next April, but I'd like to get as much advise ahead of time. We're probably going to rent. What are decent/safe areas to look into that are also close to UND but not overrun with students? What does the rental market look like? We have no kids but one cat. Also, do apartments generally offer garages since the winters tend to be a bit colder than in NC? ;-)
I appreciate any advise!
susiesw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:47 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Hi

I live in East Grand Forks and work in Grand Forks and have been in the local area for nearly 20 years. Grand Forks overall is a nice, clean and safe community. Yes you do have odd things happen time to time. As for rentals....there has been a large increase in new apartments in GF the last few years so that has meant vacancy rates are higher now....and thus a bit easier to find an apartment. The newer ones built after 2000....have garages and some underground heating parking. But these are a bit pricier....and overall rents are likely to be a bit higher than where you live for something comparable.

I would recommend you check on some places near the south end of 42nd St S...and then areas near the SuperTarget.....all in the SW part of town. This area is convenient for quick trip up 42nd St to the university.

Caveat is I have owned homes in my time in the area and never rented here. But I will go off my experiences just driving by them and from what I have heard/seen about them in other places.

Legacy apartments by IRET management is quite nice. Some building a maybe 15-20 yrs old but kept up well...other buildings are newer. Garages come with the apartments, and some units have underground parking. Rents for 2 BR in a complex such as this would run 1000-1200/mo.

Apartments for Rent in North Dakota, ND - The Legacy Apartments - IRET Apartments

Another upscale place build about 8 yrs ago is West Ridge apartments. It is one large building....3 floors...with underground parking only. West Ridge Apartments Grand Forks Area

A bit farther south, south of the Super Target, are newer properties such as South Point apartments rented by Oxford.

Find a Great Rental Property at Great Price | Oxford Realty

Oxford and IRET management companies do allow cats and small dogs.

Hampton Management has some Time Square Townhomes....they are nice...but about 15 yrs old....but offer more quiet and more like home situation. I am unsure of their pet policy.

This is showing 2 townhomes in Times Square.... in the 1200-1300/mo range.
Hampton management

Anyhow....those are my suggestions... I am in my late 40s myself and these would be my first options. Yeah winters are colder and longer than in NC for sure.... but in nearly all cases your thoughts about our winter are worse than reality.

Good luck!

Dan

Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 PM

93 posts, read 169,695 times
We're renting (but with kids), and for us, a garage is a deal-breaker. We have not had problems with an unheated garage in the winter (ours doesn't have electricity so we can't plug in a heating block), but we know people who have sometimes had issues with their cars not starting when parked outside. (Suggestion: next time you have to change your car battery, get the coldest rating. It helps!)

The area around UND (north of the railroad tracks/around University) is pretty heavily student-populated. If you are not 20 years old and into the party life, you might want to look elsewhere. (Then again, your non-student neighbors would probably love you.) Like Dan said, there are newer apartments going up south of town. We came two years ago and found an extreme (!) housing shortage, and took what we could get. Mostly when we were looking, there were older homes that weren't particularly in good condition. With no kids, though, your options will be much greater. I know there are historic homes over on Reeves (near Lincoln Park and downtown) that are sometimes rented as apartments. The location is great, right next to the greenway, and some of the old houses can be fun. (As long as they've been cared for.) But the nicer, newer places will be at the south end of town.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
I second most of what Kamsack said. I have lived here for going on 2 years and had a hard time finding a good apartment in a short amount of time when I first moved here.

As others said, the areas around UND have mostly students. I have seen some of the rentals around there, and they were older and mainly students.

I would avoid renting from Goldmark, even though they own numerous rentals in the city and have lower rent. I was stuck renting from them for my first year, and while it was a large 2 bedroom apartment, it just wasn't a pleasant experience.

The south/southwest end of town has the newest rentals, but they're also a tad pricier. It all depends on what you can afford. I've been at Legacy from Iret for nearly a year and am sad to leave because it has been so great (but am moving out of state). The commute to UND is only around 10-15 minutes down 42nd. It is close to stores, but it's also quiet. While there are a handful of college students, I have found that tenants are mostly younger families and professionals that are friendly and respectful. There's also heated garages, which was wonderful in the winter. I also have a cat, and they charge $30 a month for pet rent (along with a hefty pet deposit - but it's refundable). I have a small one-bedroom and pay just over $900 with cat rent. I believe 2 bedrooms are around what Kamsack posted, too. I have been extremely happy here, and it feels like paradise after renting from Goldmark for a year.

Many new rentals are popping up to the south of town, along S Washington and south of Walmart/Target, that may be worth looking into, depending on your budget and the amenities they'll offer.

My first winter here was brutal, but all the locals said it was the worst winter in awhile. This past winter wasn't as bad, colder than I'm used to, but tolerable with a warm coat and heated garage.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november11 View Post
I second most of what Kamsack said. I have lived here for going on 2 years and had a hard time finding a good apartment in a short amount of time when I first moved here.

As others said, the areas around UND have mostly students. I have seen some of the rentals around there, and they were older and mainly students.

I would avoid renting from Goldmark, even though they own numerous rentals in the city and have lower rent. I was stuck renting from them for my first year, and while it was a large 2 bedroom apartment, it just wasn't a pleasant experience.

The south/southwest end of town has the newest rentals, but they're also a tad pricier. It all depends on what you can afford. I've been at Legacy from Iret for nearly a year and am sad to leave because it has been so great (but am moving out of state). The commute to UND is only around 10-15 minutes down 42nd. It is close to stores, but it's also quiet. While there are a handful of college students, I have found that tenants are mostly younger families and professionals that are friendly and respectful. There's also heated garages, which was wonderful in the winter. I also have a cat, and they charge $30 a month for pet rent (along with a hefty pet deposit - but it's refundable). I have a small one-bedroom and pay just over $900 with cat rent. I believe 2 bedrooms are around what Kamsack posted, too. I have been extremely happy here, and it feels like paradise after renting from Goldmark for a year.

Many new rentals are popping up to the south of town, along S Washington and south of Walmart/Target, that may be worth looking into, depending on your budget and the amenities they'll offer.

My first winter here was brutal, but all the locals said it was the worst winter in awhile. This past winter wasn't as bad, colder than I'm used to, but tolerable with a warm coat and heated garage.
excellent post ---

Thanks for chiming in. Good to have someone else to talk about the Forks.

I have never rented in this area (bought homes) but just from usual travels around the area/city Legacy and its various apartments always looked nice and well kept and prices not quite as high as newer complexes being built along 36th Ave S and southward.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,517 times
Thank you all so much for your advise! We visited GF 3 weeks ago for a few days, mainly to meet with UND staff. We did not have time to look at apartments, figuring that since we're a year out things will change. But it is definitely good to read the experiences others had. Your posts are very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota